Texas Fishing Forum

AirBoats

Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

AirBoats - 02/03/21 03:42 PM

Friend of mine just got a 15 ft AirBoat unfortunately has no experience with this type of boat. Ask me for help I have a lot of experience in a boat, but not like this.
All I saw was a handle for left & right and a accelerator.
Any Tips.. he does know how to fly a plane and helicopter so he should be able to catch on.
Thanks in advance. thumb
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 04:22 PM

Learn on the fly so to speak.
Posted By: Mo

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 04:57 PM

Please don't buzz my house at 2 am.

Mo
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 08:07 PM

I have been around a couple but never drove them.

Most have car - automobile engines. Really nice if you know what you are doing, and amazing the places they can go. But looks like a good way to get hurt and tear stuff up if you dont know what you are doing... JMHO. Look to be top heavy.

I would find someone that has one, and pay them for some knowledge... again, JMHO.

Good luck with it. Should be fun!

Ken
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 08:10 PM

Don't stick your head inside the caged area behind the seat when it's running.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 08:59 PM

From what I have seen on TV, wear hearing protection
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 10:45 PM

YOUTUBE IT
Posted By: 9094

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 11:13 PM

Pretty easy just don’t make sudden or hard turns of the stick. Very slight adjustments is all it takes.
Once you get the hang of it they are a blast.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: AirBoats - 02/03/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Paul - Lake Fork
Friend of mine just got a 15 ft AirBoat unfortunately has no experience with this type of boat. Ask me for help I have a lot of experience in a boat, but not like this.
All I saw was a handle for left & right and a accelerator.
Any Tips.. he does know how to fly a plane and helicopter so he should be able to catch on.
Thanks in advance. thumb

You can Google American Airboat Corp in Orange, Texas. They build them and offer trips through the local marsh. Their phone number is 409-883-7725.....
Posted By: ssmith

Re: AirBoats - 02/04/21 12:01 AM

the shallower the water the better they run keep in mind the only flotation is your life jacket an throw cushion.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: AirBoats - 02/04/21 02:29 AM

Most important thing, they won’t turn if you’re not on the throttle. Guys tend to panic then immediately let of the gas instinctively and try to turn, ends up being a bad day. Guy that taught me always said when in doubt, power out....
Good luck!
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: AirBoats - 02/04/21 02:40 AM

There are lots of different types of airboats and they perform differently. The bottom material is an important consideration. I have been in airboats that ran perfectly on dry land while others seemed very unstable even in ideal conditions. Do be considerate of others around you. You may have hearing protection when you are driving, but others around you do not.
Posted By: rebait

Re: AirBoats - 02/04/21 09:11 PM

Great comment on being considerate to others. Those things can be totally obnoxious at the coast. Some flounder guides don't seem to think others have a right to fish there own little area without company. A flounder airboat rig can totally shut of fishing if they get within several hundred feet of you. I use to think jet skies were worse but I have changed my mind. Do unto others as you would have them do onto you. Peace.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: AirBoats - 02/05/21 12:48 AM

Drive it to the middle of the lake, pull the plug, let it sink, and swim to shore.
Posted By: rebait

Re: AirBoats - 02/05/21 09:17 PM

banana
Posted By: Dang_ol

Re: AirBoats - 02/05/21 10:27 PM

I have owned 4, vw powered, direct drive, gear reduction, and aircraft engine. Best advice to give is take you time to get to a shallow area and learn how to drive/ turn.
Posted By: don1903

Re: AirBoats - 02/20/21 10:18 PM

On my 4th airboat..... Absolutely a money pit. Before you get one, call boating insurance companies to see what their requirements are. If anyone has an old airboat project for sale let me know. I'm in the Texoma area.
Posted By: 361V

Re: AirBoats - 02/21/21 11:24 AM

Ditto on the consideration part👍. Nothing like standing in the Brazos river fishing downstream from PK when an airboat comes flying around the corner right up the middle of the channel. Evidently it’s understood that’s it’s your job to get out of his way. Honestly though it’s not like they sneak up you. Can hear them a mile away.
Posted By: CDS

Re: AirBoats - 04/19/21 05:07 AM

1. It does not turn unless you are giving it power
1a. Carry tools and extra belts with you.
1b. Don't run dry on rocks, gravel, or concrete. It will eat your poly very quickly.
2. Do not turn sharp in deep water at speed. Water will come over the sides at the rear and sink you.
3. Do not stop abruptly in deep water. The wake will catch up and swamp the back of the boat and sink it.
4. Stay away from the edge of rivers. Over hanging trees will destroy a prop
5. If collision with an overhanging tree is inevitable, kill the engine so the prop is not turning when you reach the tree.
6. soft sand and mud will stick an airboat. Avoid these at all cost.
7. Always have a come-a-long and long heavy rope in the airboat at all times. You are going to get stuck eventually, so be prepared.
8. Loose objects in the boat like soda cans and baseball caps can easily get sucked in to the prop and destroy it.
9. Always have at least 2 high volume bilge pumps in an airboat at all times.
10. Always be aware of your prop wash. Pay attention to what is going to be behind you when you turn.
11. If you are sinking kill the engine so it does not suck water into it.
12. Don't let anybody drive your airboat. It is an airplane on water and it takes practice and skill to operate it safely.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: AirBoats - 04/20/21 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by CDS
1. It does not turn unless you are giving it power
1a. Carry tools and extra belts with you.
1b. Don't run dry on rocks, gravel, or concrete. It will eat your poly very quickly.
2. Do not turn sharp in deep water at speed. Water will come over the sides at the rear and sink you.
3. Do not stop abruptly in deep water. The wake will catch up and swamp the back of the boat and sink it.
4. Stay away from the edge of rivers. Over hanging trees will destroy a prop
5. If collision with an overhanging tree is inevitable, kill the engine so the prop is not turning when you reach the tree.
6. soft sand and mud will stick an airboat. Avoid these at all cost.
7. Always have a come-a-long and long heavy rope in the airboat at all times. You are going to get stuck eventually, so be prepared.
8. Loose objects in the boat like soda cans and baseball caps can easily get sucked in to the prop and destroy it.
9. Always have at least 2 high volume bilge pumps in an airboat at all times.
10. Always be aware of your prop wash. Pay attention to what is going to be behind you when you turn.
11. If you are sinking kill the engine so it does not suck water into it.
12. Don't let anybody drive your airboat. It is an airplane on water and it takes practice and skill to operate it safely.

It looks like there may be some amazing stories associated with these rules. eeks
Posted By: shadtank

Re: AirBoats - 04/20/21 12:51 PM

I have a brand new airboat built by silver dollar for sale might have 5 hours on it bought it to fish the red river when it floods or was good fishing don’t use anymore 502 Chevy motor boat built like a brick chit house 45,000 4698310440
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum