Texas Fishing Forum

Somerville depth question

Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Somerville depth question - 01/24/21 10:55 PM

I'm looking at the TPWD fishing reports and it says that the hybrids are biting at 40-foot depth. I look at the Navionics map and it says that the deepest point on the lake is about 27 feet. Who's right?

Also, Navionics shows that pretty much everything west of Nails Creek is a foot or less deep. Is that right? I mostly just fish near Welsh Park and Navionics seems pretty accurate over there.
Posted By: R2Fishing

Re: Somerville depth question - 01/25/21 12:51 AM

Navionics is accurate.

I’d never go by TPWD Reports...

West end of Nails is all silted in from the prior floods and with lake being 2ft low i don’t even know if you could be past Nails SP boat ramp.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Somerville depth question - 01/25/21 03:17 AM

The TPWD reports are the same every month and are totally made up.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Somerville depth question - 01/25/21 01:30 PM

A few years ago their report said the sand bass and hybrids were biting on the mid lake humps at Cooper. The lake was 14 ft. low and all boat ramps were closed. I guess they waded out to the humps to fish.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Somerville depth question - 01/25/21 09:17 PM

Thanks for the info, which has further enhanced my cynicism about the TPWD fishing reports.

I looked up the lake in the Google Earth historical view, and I can see that it doesn't take much lake drop to turn that end into a swamp. Looks like fun to explore in a canoe tho!
Posted By: Mo

Re: Somerville depth question - 02/09/21 09:58 PM

Fishing reports are worthless.

as they say about the stock market " Past performance is no guarantee of future results "

MO
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Somerville depth question - 02/10/21 04:53 PM

information you get for free is worth as much as you pay for it.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Somerville depth question - 02/10/21 05:22 PM

Somerville Contour MapSomerville Contour Map

It only shows a range from 210-238 - 28 feet
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum