Texas Fishing Forum

L. Texoma -your input

Posted By: SenkoSam

L. Texoma -your input - 12/27/20 05:20 PM

I fished the lake decades ago when I was stationed in Texas. Caught a few small fish but couldn't do much with the small boat / no gas motor or electronics much less any idea of the lake structure/ depths. Loved the quiet but disappointed by the fishing (not surprising using mostly minnows). Wind was a factor which I found out fast didn't allow much time to do anything but beat the banks while hugging wind protected coves. Add the golf size hail storm and its no wonder I stayed close to Wichita Falls waters. (Good memories living in Texas those four years.)

Does anyone like the lake and consistently catch fish there?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 01:54 AM

Where is Lake Texarkana?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Where is Lake Texarkana?

Texarkana? hmmm

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 06:35 AM

Sorry guys. Meant L. Texoma.

Just did a google.com/maps and noticed how huge the lake is. It would take a lifetime to figure it out except with a guide.
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 07:41 AM

I was beginning to wonder. I'm from Texarkana and thought maybe I missed out on fishing this lake.....lol. Lake Texoma is on my list to fish this coming year (2021). Im on a mission to catch my first smallmouth. I've heard great things about Lake Texoma.
Posted By: big mike

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 01:52 PM

Lake Texoma is an excellent lake for all species of fish! I've always heard of Wright Patman reservoir being called Lake Texarkana.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 09:28 PM

That is the only lake that I would dock my boat. Love that lake.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Smurfs
Originally Posted by Rayzor
Where is Lake Texarkana?

Texarkana? hmmm

Wrong! grin
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/28/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by big mike
Lake Texoma is an excellent lake for all species of fish! I've always heard of Wright Patman reservoir being called Lake Texarkana.

Wright Patman brings back so many childhood memories. My dad's favorite lake, we spent alot time fishing below the dam catching sandies...snagging big catfish, buffalo, carp and even spoonbill catfish. Fell in love with bowfishing on Lake Wright Patman. Sorry for the trip down memory lane!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/29/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Sorry guys. Meant L. Texoma.

Just did a google.com/maps and noticed how huge the lake is. It would take a lifetime to figure it out except with a guide.

A couple of neighbors had trailers at Mill Creek. I started fishing it when I was in Jr. High. Back when Sandies were the main species. We trolled points between Mill Creek and Loes. Probably my favorite lake. Spent many nights camping on the islands and at Island View before the locals ruined it for all.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 12/29/20 01:18 PM

flip a jig, quit using crappie baits.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 01/02/21 02:52 AM

Texoma is a really good fishery
Posted By: CCTX

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 01/02/21 01:48 PM

Very healthy baitfish population.
The fish in that lake are strong, muscular, and healthy. Because of the water clarity and stripers, it’s a kill or be killed lifestyle for the fish. You can’t get old, slow and fat and have a good chance of survival in those waters (why the lake record LMB is under 12lbs)
Posted By: MAC67STANG

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 01/02/21 04:43 PM

Texoma is solid fishery, When the smallies are on it is a blast.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: L. Texarkana -your input - 01/02/21 05:51 PM

I used to fish it all the time with a small 12 foot inflatable pontoon. I caught some excellent fish there. PM me and I will tell you what I know about Texoma. With a few pointers you'll never fish big Tex without coming home with a cooler chock full of fish.

Typical catch in the sping
[Linked Image]

Personal Best Catfish from Texoma ( caught on crankbait)
[Linked Image]

Personal best smallmouth from Texoma ( caught at least 10 over 20 inches)
[Linked Image]

Re: L. Texoma -your input - 01/04/21 03:42 AM

Excellent catch !
Wish I could have fished it more in the early 70's but couldn't stationed so far away in Wichita Falls. No lake map nor satellite view was available back then and I didn't know if guide services existed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum