Texas Fishing Forum

Another fish ID??

Posted By: MONSTER2

Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 12:23 AM

Just caught this guy in our neighborhood pond. Didn’t put up much of a fight until the end.

Attached picture 4361BA52-0CC3-41B1-B346-AA5E38A3E7CD.jpeg
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 12:29 AM

Looks like a tilapia.
What part of the state are you in?
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 12:34 AM

Tilapia
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 12:34 AM

X2 on Tilapia.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by steve hummert
Tilapia

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 12:46 AM

Cypress, TX
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 01:13 AM

Fish taco.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 01:25 AM

i wouldnt eat anything out of a neighborhood pond.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 02:05 AM

Blue tilapia (Oreochromis aureus). They are an invasive species in Texas. They usually do not survive in temperatures below 55 degrees. That is a big one for a neighborhood pond.

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 02:19 AM

I thought it was big. That’s a size 12 in the pic. I wasn’t sure if the species so I threw it back. Was fun to catch. I played cat and mouse with this fish for 20-30min. He hit my spoon 3-4x, but never hooked up. I knew he was there so I kept throwing.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 03:02 AM

Tilapia will sometimes attack lures and plastic worms. I have inadvertently hooked them with spoons. I use earthworms or small pieces of cut-bait when I target them.
Posted By: FishinDonkey

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 03:46 AM

yes, its a tilapia - and its at the end of its life. nearly all the neighborhoods in tx with community ponds, etc, will stock them annually. they are excellent are two things 1) forage control and 2) they reproduce like rabbits- and keeps other fish bellies fillied..... same pond you caught it in will have a buzzards circling it soon enough....they will all die when the temp. drops....they've already started dying at my neighborhood pond...happens every year.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Blue tilapia (Oreochromis aureus). They are an invasive species in Texas. They usually do not survive in temperatures below 55 degrees. That is a big one for a neighborhood pond.

Yes Sir! Blue Tilapia ! thumb

Re: Another fish ID?? - 12/21/20 06:03 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the knowledge.

Re: Another fish ID?? - 01/18/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by FishinDonkey
yes, its a tilapia - and its at the end of its life. nearly all the neighborhoods in tx with community ponds, etc, will stock them annually. they are excellent are two things 1) forage control and 2) they reproduce like rabbits- and keeps other fish bellies fillied..... same pond you caught it in will have a buzzards circling it soon enough....they will all die when the temp. drops....they've already started dying at my neighborhood pond...happens every year.

FishinDonkey knows tilapia. Went out this evening and stumbled across 2 dead tilapia on the bank.
Posted By: Skeeter John

Re: Another fish ID?? - 01/20/21 09:24 PM

Looks like a Flip flop to me-Scientific name: Micropterus chanclamoides
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum