Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 01:55 AM

Squaw Creek will not open in January. The current opening date is now February 12, 2021 and may be delayed again. Here is the post on their page:

Luminant has delayed the reopening of Squaw Creek until February 12th 2021 at a minimum with a validation of this date in January 2021 based on current COVID-19 protocols/projections. Please check this page for future updates.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 03:12 AM

RIP
Hopefully they open, want to wet a line there someday! fish

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
RIP
Hopefully they open, want to wet a line there someday! fish

You would do well there. There are lots of 15 to 20 pound carp in Squaw.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 11:58 AM

de
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 01:53 PM

Don't get your hopes up. After 9/11, they kept it closed for 10 years. It may take 20 to open it back up from this hoax called a "pandemic".
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 02:45 PM

do employees still fish there when closed,..?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.

I would be shocked if they were not fishing
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

I would be shocked if they were not fishing

A friend who works their fishes a honey from the bank and went out once in a boat during the summer. In the boat they caught one fish. They thought they would kill them since the lake had not been fished in months but that was not the case. If they do fish it is very rare since they working most of the time..The honey hole usually fishes good during the summer months but not this summer.. Only big fish caught out of it..

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 05:13 PM

I am sure the tilapia are doing very well.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/20/20 11:33 PM

job perks
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/24/20 02:43 AM

they will let you know when the peasants can come back to the lake that i think tp&w stocked.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/24/20 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by ssmith
they will let you know when the peasants can come back to the lake that i think tp&w stocked.
Let me take the “think” out of the equation for you. Now you know: https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0690

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/24/20 03:08 PM

I did not know that stocked it with smallies.. Never caught one out of there.. They have not stocked it in a while..
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/24/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
I did not know that stocked it with smallies.. Never caught one out of there.. They have not stocked it in a while..

We had a 22# bag out of there in 99 with only one large mouth in it. It had good smallies in it
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/24/20 10:25 PM

Before the plant came online it was a good smallmouth lake. It had a lot of walleye also
Posted By: ratherBfishin

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 05:17 PM

4.8 million walleye is a lot of walleye! Is that a typo?
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 05:54 PM

So, I'm wondering, since they claim the reason for the closure is Covid, why is it the only reservoir closed because of it? Never fished it myself, but would like to.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ratherBfishin
4.8 million walleye is a lot of walleye! Is that a typo?
Nope. But that was 1979. That’s why so many people caught them in the 80’s. In 1990 power plant started. No more Walleyes! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
So, I'm wondering, since they claim the reason for the closure is Covid, why is it the only reservoir closed because of it? Never fished it myself, but would like to.
Why was the park closed long after a decade after 911 when all power plant lakes(nuclear and otherwise) had been open for years? “Cus they can....and they want to”! Managing that park is a pain and a cost they prefer not to deal with! “Corporate Fishing Hole”!

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 07:00 PM

It a private lake. You make reservations, They decide what time you enter the park and pay like $30, They decide what time you launch and they decide if you can go past the buoy in the launch area to fish the rest of the lake, if it's foggy they may delay you fishing for hours.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 09:47 PM

It a private lake. You make reservations, They decide what time you enter the park and pay like $30, They decide what time you launch and they decide if you can go past the buoy in the launch area to fish the rest of the lake, if it's foggy they may delay you fishing for hours.

Wow, didn't know any of that. May not be worth the hassle anyway.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/30/20 11:30 PM

It’s always worth the hassle. That’s why the reservations fill up so fast.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/31/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

And that’s coming from the guy who USED to say he wouldn’t mess w/Squaw😂
Posted By: toofy

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/31/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Don't get your hopes up. After 9/11, they kept it closed for 10 years. It may take 20 to open it back up from this hoax called a "pandemic".

What do you mean by hoax?

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 12/31/20 11:54 AM

We had couple trips last year where we put over 100 bass in the boat, average size about 2lbs.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/03/21 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Well, I don't bass fish. So, would that make any difference? I mean, is it a great crappie or catfish lake?

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/03/21 04:57 PM

Squaw is a great lake for eating size channel catfish. The crappie did not do well when the plant came online and heated up the lake. There are lots of small largemouth bass plus tilapia, drum and carp.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/08/21 04:30 PM

mad mad mad
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/09/21 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by toofy
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

What do you mean by hoax?

Just repeating what several on this board has claimed since back in Mar 2020..... loco_2

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/10/21 12:14 AM

Let’s storm gates! Who wants to lead the way?

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/10/21 11:00 AM

Funny story. Quite a few years ago I get a call at work from one of my 3 teenage sons. “Dad, remember when you said all navigable rivers could not be blocked off and access must be allowed to these rivers”? He had heard me talk about the ongoing access/trespassing issues with the Devils River among many other rivers. “”This doesn’t sound good son. Why”? My son and his buddy are wade fishing in the river Squaw Creek right below the Squaw Creek dam. They come to a “No Trespassing” sign/fence across river. They continue onward because there must be better fishing under this fence or they wouldn’t have put the fence up....right? At the base of the dam below Squaw Creek they were picked up by the Nuclear Regulatory police(plant security) on private property and turned over to the Somervell County Sheriffs Dept. The sheriff took these two young men home but we had to go by the Sheriffs Dept when we got off work to pick up all their fishing tackle. The laws that allow access to ALL navigable waters in Texas? Evidently the Nuclear Regulatory Commission trumps them! Hey, at least my kids were getting arrested for FISHING! Way worse battles to fight in life!!! laugh
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/10/21 06:59 PM

Not all waterways are considered navigable, myth that everyone thinks to be true.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/10/21 07:15 PM

the property around the lake private so to get to the lake you have to trespass first.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/10/21 11:18 PM

the property around the lake private so to get to the lake you have to trespass first.

You’re not technically trespassing, if you are in navigable water, don’t leave your vessel, and can freely navigate through all passages.

Re: Squaw Creek Opening Delayed Again - 01/13/21 05:45 AM

Come on guys. Stop analyzing the semantics of the story. It was (to me) a funny story of my son basically being arrested in Jr High for “TRESPASSING” onto the plants property to fish Squaw Creek below the dam. Nothing more. laugh
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum