Texas Fishing Forum

Question for upcoming Trout season

Posted By: CarlB

Question for upcoming Trout season - 09/28/20 06:39 PM

In a few months they will be planting trout again in Texas. Even though I have been fishing for trout for 45 years I have been trying to figure out the last few years a question about the trout plants in Texas. Do people here find that they bite best right after stocking, or does it take a while for them to start feeding after they get planted. Usually I go a week or two after because I'm afraid they won't be biting immediately, but sometimes they aren't biting then either, depending on the pond.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Question for upcoming Trout season - 09/29/20 12:26 AM

It varies depending on weather. I believe the trout are not fed the day before they are transplanted to cut down on the fecal matter and ammonia in the trailer tank. If you wait a week or two, you are missing out on some good fishing. Many ponds are packed at dawn the day after transplant.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Question for upcoming Trout season - 09/29/20 12:33 AM

same day or day after, or they will be gone. If this is your first time fishing winter trout in Texas your in for a treat. It will reallly reveal the unemployment rate, especially this year with the china virus. just pic up a cig, butt, color it chartreuse, and you will catch as many 12" trout as you want.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Question for upcoming Trout season - 09/29/20 02:51 AM

I have had my best days usually a day after the stocking. If I do fish the date of a stocking the bite normally heats up about an hour after the fish are let out. thumb
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: Question for upcoming Trout season - 09/30/20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
It varies depending on weather. I believe the trout are not fed the day before they are transplanted to cut down on the fecal matter and ammonia in the trailer tank. If you wait a week or two, you are missing out on some good fishing. Many ponds are packed at dawn the day after transplant.

X2. Why wait, its fishing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum