Texas Fishing Forum

Moss Lake by Big Springs TX

Posted By: dhuffman

Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 08/22/20 10:56 PM

Anyone know if there is any place to get live bait (minnows) in the area?

Thanks,
David
Posted By: KellerTodd

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 08/27/20 10:40 PM

Wow - I havent heard that lake name in probably 30 years. I grew up in Big Spring and went there as a kid. I have a few contacts that still live out there and will check with them to see.
Get back to you if I can find anything out.
Posted By: KellerTodd

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 08/28/20 02:38 PM

There used to be a convienence store on the way to the lake that sold bait including live minnows.

I wasnt able to get any firm details from friends but found this

Steve Salinas

Moss Creek Lake
Title: Park Superintendent
Phone: 432-393-5246
Posted By: dhuffman

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 08/28/20 06:42 PM

Thanks,

What I am finding is that the West Texas lakes that went through the droughts, lost a number of the bait shops. I assume the Zebra Muscle stuff also likely impacted the live bait shops as well. Moss Lake is about an hour and forty-five minutes from me, Champion about 2 hours, Spence 2 hours forty-five minutes, and Meredith about 4 hours. I am just trying to find out if I take a trip and want to fish for crappie or whatever if there is live bait available. Champion has no live bait available unless you drive down to Spence or up towards Snyder and get it. that's about 45 minutes on the short side and 5:00AM in the morning to boot.

Thanks for the info.
David
Posted By: machinist

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 08/31/20 02:46 AM

What about Lake Thomas? It's probably better fishing and it's closer. It did have a store right there by the dam that you could get bait at.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 08/31/20 11:54 PM

You can buy minnows in Snyder
Posted By: Brooks Lundgren

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 09/06/20 01:53 AM

Does Moss lake have bass? I've heard of guys catching big ones at Comanche there in town
Posted By: Bassin Fever

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 09/06/20 04:38 AM

Comanche lake or pond there in Big Spring actually produced a Share Lunker I’m thinking about four or five years ago. One of my ex students caught the fish and I’m thinking they said they released it. I was at Champion yesterday and can vouch the lake has slowed down in this heat. A friend of mine said he caught a big mess of crappie from Thomas about two weeks ago.
Hope this info helps ya.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 09/11/20 10:30 AM

See above
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Moss Lake by Big Springs TX - 09/20/20 03:33 AM

I grew up 5 miles from Moss Lake. It went dry several years ago . Surely they restocked it since it caught water. They used to sell bait at the dam store. You might also get ahold of Matt Woodall, local Game Warden.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum