Texas Fishing Forum

Motel boat parking ?

Posted By: lamar44

Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 08:06 PM

How do you keep your boat safe when you stay at a motel ??????
I cover my boat at night but don't want to have to take ever thing out of it
I park in well lite areas and like to park next to one of those high dollor rigs. , Thanks
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 08:19 PM

I take everything I want to keep out of the boat & into the room. Wherever I'm at, home or on the road.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 10:22 PM

Yeah, I definitely take all of my rods, tackle, electronics and anything else a meth head might be able to sell inside. About the only things I don't take in are life jackets, net, fire extinguisher and whatever junk may be in the glove box. I left 5 or 6 beers in my built in cooler one time and the next morning the beer was gone, so someone definitely went through my boat during the night.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 10:39 PM

Take graph off, lock compartments and cover.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 10:49 PM

Only thing I leave in the boat when I travel is something I wouldn't notice if I lost. That means remove all tackle, gear, graphs, and life jackets.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 11:35 PM

Loc r bars
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/17/20 11:42 PM

sleep in shifts. sleep
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/18/20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
sleep in shifts. sleep

I did this kind of. On the way back from Florida with my blue wave I couldn’t go any further and stopped in [censored] hole Longview. Made sure I parked it right in front of my hotel room and had an alarm set for my wife or I every hour or so to check it.
Best I could think of. Had our kayaks in the boat and couldn’t get them inside.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/18/20 06:06 PM

I have a Jon boat and the only thing I leave in it is the 2 big marine batteries. So far they have never been taken, but I am sure one day they will be.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/18/20 06:10 PM

Take what you can take out
Lock what you can lock up
And sleep peacefully at night knowing there's not a darn thing you can do because thieves will be thieves.

I used to waste sleep over this. But after a while, you realize there's just not much you can do when your property is unattended.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/18/20 07:03 PM

I take my rods and electronics inside and don't worry about it
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/18/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
sleep in shifts. sleep

I did this kind of. On the way back from Florida with my blue wave I couldn’t go any further and stopped in [censored] hole Longview. Made sure I parked it right in front of my hotel room and had an alarm set for my wife or I every hour or so to check it.

If you stopped in Longview close to Interstate 20, be glad you still had your vehicle, boat and trailer. That side of town it not very safe.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/18/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Holzer
Take what you can take out
Lock what you can lock up
And sleep peacefully at night knowing there's not a darn thing you can do because thieves will be thieves.

I used to waste sleep over this. But after a while, you realize there's just not much you can do when your property is unattended.

This the key. There are also small, portable motion sensors you can purchase. Set it in the front of the boat and point it toward the rear. They have key fobs that will alert you.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/19/20 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Originally Posted by wh2004
sleep in shifts. sleep

If you stopped in Longview close to Interstate 20, be glad you still had your vehicle, boat and trailer. That side of town it not very safe.

Man it was sketchy for sure.
Posted By: Pitch

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/19/20 11:58 AM

First off, if you don't want to go to the trouble to put everything but your boat in the room with you, you shouldn't be parking at a Motel/Hotel. The thieves roam through their parking lots all night long with reckless abandon looking for an easy mark with little fear of apprehension. I use one of those large fold down dollies which makes it fast and easy to load valuables and put inside.the room including seats...
Next best thing I have found is to leave my wife in the boat all night. She will scare away anything that gets within 10 ft. How ugly is she you ask??? When we get to the lake everyone asks what bait I was using>>>>Okay, okay>>>just kidding...don't get upset ladies....she has actually never been in my boat....hates the water and fishing.
However, I have found that using one of the better Wi-Fi Baby Monitors with audio under the boat tarp that Detects Movement in and around the boat is a great way to get a good nights sleep. Mine saved me from losing trailer tires and wheels one night...
Like I said, remove everything and sleep with one eye open...
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/19/20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pitch
First off, if you don't want to go to the trouble to put everything but your boat in the room with you, you shouldn't be parking at a Motel/Hotel. The thieves roam through their parking lots all night long with reckless abandon looking for an easy mark with little fear of apprehension. I use one of those large fold down dollies which makes it fast and easy to load valuables and put inside.the room including seats...
Next best thing I have found is to leave my wife in the boat all night. She will scare away anything that gets within 10 ft. How ugly is she you ask??? When we get to the lake everyone asks what bait I was using>>>>Okay, okay>>>just kidding...don't get upset ladies....she has actually never been in my boat....hates the water and fishing.
However, I have found that using one of the better Wi-Fi Baby Monitors with audio under the boat tarp that Detects Movement in and around the boat is a great way to get a good nights sleep. Mine saved me from losing trailer tires and wheels one night...
Like I said, remove everything and sleep with one eye open...

thumb
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/20/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Take graph off, lock compartments and cover.

This
Posted By: dhuffman

Re: Motel boat parking ? - 08/22/20 11:06 PM

I fished Champion Creek last weekend. There is a Super 8 in Colorado city. I was able to park the boat right outside my door and directly in front of my window. They even had a power hook up. It was around $63.00 per night and was money well spent in my opinion. They had external cameras looking at the area in front of the rooms as well. I did my typical locking of compartments, took the rods I had out inside, plugged the chargers in, and went to bed.

google search "boat security bar". The are some good ones, or you can make your own fairly inexpensively.

David
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum