Texas Fishing Forum

New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚

Posted By: JenGue

New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 03:41 PM

So I’m brand new to fishing. My grandfather took me out as a very young kid but that’s it!! Yesterday, we went to Lake Whitney SP and I caught only 1 fish. But it was a decent size and still had a lot of fun so worth it! But I can’t for the life of me, figure out what kind of fish it is! I’d really appreciate yall’s help! Thanks so much!

Attached picture E5986846-4888-414F-BA28-D88815C47F28.jpeg
Posted By: T Bird

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 03:47 PM

gaspergou /fresh water drum.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 03:47 PM

Drum and welcome aboard
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 03:54 PM

As stated above...

Freshwater drum

&

Welcome!

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 03:56 PM

Thank you everyone!!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 09:43 PM

welcome JenGue!
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/10/20 09:52 PM

By the way, those that size a pretty good table fare.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 02:06 AM

Welcome aboard, nice catch. Hope to see more pictures in the future. A lot of good folks here if you have questions, need lake info, or whatever. Keep the lines tight!!

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 02:28 AM

Thanks! Yes, I immediately bled it out and gutted it! Definitely big enough for a meal! Trying to decide the best way to cook it now! 😁
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 02:02 PM

welcome Glad your here. My Grandmother pressure cooked those kind of fish which also included Buffalo and Carp. She had a wonderful recipe for like tuna salad sandwiches that she did for use kids. They have more bones than Bass or Crappie. Pressure cooking eliminates that problem.

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 02:29 PM

Brilliant idea! That’s my only thing about fishing....I love eating fish but just can’t handle all the bones! Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: boocat

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 02:38 PM

Yep, My granny and carp, she did the same thing. Drum are fun to catch, always thought they were a pretty ugly fish, not near as pretty as their salt water cousin. I tried frying some, meat was white and flavor not bad, texture just seemed a little weird. May try the grill for my next one. Welcome welcome
Posted By: wh2004

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 06:16 PM

Filleted and fried some with crappie and sand bass recently. No one knew any different.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JenGue
Thanks! Yes, I immediately bled it out and gutted it! Definitely big enough for a meal! Trying to decide the best way to cook it now! 😁

I suggest you always no what species of fish you have before keeping and cleaning it. It could get expensive if you get checked and have illegal fish.
Posted By: boocat

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by JenGue

I suggest you always no what species of fish you have before keeping and cleaning it. It could get expensive if you get checked and have illegal fish.

^^
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/11/20 11:12 PM

Fillet and fry. I have had them many times and they did not seem to me any more bony than a crappie or a bass.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/13/20 03:32 PM

Hello JenGue, im Pot licker welcome to the TFF!
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/15/20 02:25 PM

I filet them like crappies, take the skin off and bake them with some lemon pepper. Great eating. The real big ones get wormy. Your size is just right. Don't ruin the taste by frying the fish.

And welcome!
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/15/20 02:44 PM

Welcome to the forum. Grew up eating what we caught and fried Drum was alway filleted and deep fried. Not bad eating.

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/15/20 08:16 PM

Yeah, I discovered that out yesterday. For some reason, I thought you had to get them bled out as soon as possible. I’m glad I found out before we go back to fish!! 😳

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/15/20 08:17 PM

Thanks everyone. I did pressure cook it with lemon but the bones were still definitely too hard to eat. But man, it’s actually a really nice tasting fish!
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/16/20 10:48 AM

welcome
Posted By: ordinary_angler

Re: New fisherwoman...help! πŸ˜‚ - 08/30/20 05:37 PM

Great fish! Welcome! There is a FB group you might want to join called BASSGRLS (spelled just like that).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum