Texas Fishing Forum

Minnows, Stupid Question

Posted By: Tex_T64

Minnows, Stupid Question - 07/31/20 11:11 PM

Howdy All,
I have a stupid question, so here goes
Lived in the DFW area all my life, but when you go to East Tex or up to the North East area of Tex. Why is it when you go in to buy minnows you buy by the weight, 1/4#, 1/2# so on. But it seems from DFW and going South you buy by the Dozen.

I know this is not a life changing question, I just curious?. It seems you get a better deal when you buy by the weight, cause God knows here locally where I buy bait, they don't know how to count..

Any feedback would be welcomed, I just curious.

Thanks
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 07/31/20 11:57 PM

I just curious?. Also... welcome
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/01/20 12:35 AM

Around here, the Groesbeck area, I get minnows off and on from 4 places. I buy by the dozen, but in conversation with one of the sellers, they buy by the pound. I suppose I’d rather buy by the dozen, since I have no clue how many minnows (of varying sizes) are in a 1/4 pound.
Posted By: Dickerson74

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/01/20 06:03 AM

Doesn't make sense why you cant buy minnows by the dozen, most stores have a price for a dozen and then have them by weight, from what I understand now days the minnows aren't separated like they use to be into small, medium, and large categories, I know this because every time I purchase minnows to crappie fish I complain about the large minnows that are mixed in with my "medium" minnows, and the response I get is the minnows aren't separated into categories like they use to be. Back in the late 80's to mid 90's a lot of minnows were purchased by the half pound to a pound, there was 5-6 dozen "medium" sized minnows in half a pound and 10-12 dozen "medium" in a pound. I know the weight to dozen ratio is real close because back in that time frame I dipped a lot of minnows, flipped lots of burger's, mopped floor every night, loaded lots of feed and of course washed my hands many a times in between those.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/03/20 03:39 PM

Down here North of Houston we buy them by the lb for $15, best way to do it. On the lake $10 for 3 dozen and those are mostly pre-bagged but they will sell by dozen. Lb nets about 10-12 dozen dependent on size. Lady I get them from is over by Sheldon reservoir and they drive up to Keller or somewhere to get them and its 9 hours round trip she tells me.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/03/20 11:46 PM

Come on guys, it's East Texas, we can't count that high with our shoes on. LOL.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/03/20 11:59 PM

crocs on,.... pollo
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/04/20 03:14 AM

Either way, I don’t seem to get what I order. I asked for 2 dozen the other day and got 20. This weekend I asked for 3 dozen and got over 100 minnows.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/04/20 03:39 AM

Happens to me all of the time. Either short a few or get more than I ordered. juggle
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Minnows, Stupid Question - 08/05/20 02:07 PM

from what I've heard from the sellers around lake fork is they buy by the pound, and sell buy the pound because its
faster to get them out to the customer. Markup is 100% mostly, Currently I pay $8.75 for a half pound, and since I
buy at the same place 3-4 times a week I get a good count with my purchase. I've figured I get about 6-7 dozen
per half pound, and that lasts me all day. In Ft Worth, a local seller charges $3.00 a dozen !! and they count every one.

fish
` hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum