Texas Fishing Forum

A Rant and a Vision

Posted By: kaboboom

A Rant and a Vision - 07/31/20 09:37 AM

For a few years, I've been watching the development of what I think is now called Sapphire Bay on Lake Ray Hubbard. The land was formally Roberson Park, south of I-30...not far from Bass Pro. When it was the Park, it was pretty undeveloped but at least it was public. Now, and for the last few years, it's fenced off and pretty much all dug up. I don't know if Rowlett will get it fully developed, with a lagoon, fountains, hotels, apartments, shops, etc. But lots of folks used to fish there, have picnics, and there was a lot of kite/wind surfers. I'm not sure about the status of the boat ramps...keeps changing.

I guess I have to point out the obvious: stuffing people into hotels and restaurants has become, at least temporarily, less appealing. Being outdoors in family groups is becoming more important. Ray Hubbard is a great fishing lake, especially for Buffalo. So I'd like to re-tool Rowlett's vision of this property.

First, build covered cabanas along the shore to allow families to fish. (I like the idea of building misting systems in to cool folks off). Bass Pro could rent rods, hold outdoor instructions, provide bait, and host events. There could even be regular pre-baiting for carp and buffalo by the staff, bank fishing tournaments, and, of course, bring back the kite surfing area as both recreation and entertainment. Food trucks could make the rounds if folks are too busy fishing to BBQ. Heck, put in a 9 hole golf course and waterpark as well. Spread folks out outdoors doing the things they love. It's probably not too late.

Posted By: basscaster46

Re: A Rant and a Vision - 07/31/20 01:17 PM

I think it’s too late for that my friend.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: A Rant and a Vision - 07/31/20 01:40 PM

no tax revenue with that plan. That is all they care about.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: A Rant and a Vision - 07/31/20 02:04 PM

Agreed. I enjoyed backing up the truck, throwing some lines out and watching all the boats go by and families just having a good ole time. One of my favorite times out there was when a big gust of wind came through while a guy was learning to kite surf. He slid the length of the peninsula and all the way to the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum