Texas Fishing Forum

"Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !"

Posted By: doctorxring

"Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/15/20 04:08 PM

A friend of mine that lives on Lake Dunlap sent this to me today. It would be much
appreciated by all Texans that have an interest in Lake Dunlap and in preserving our
lakes to act on this information. THANK YOU !!

https://mailchi.mp/edfb50767229/plda-weekly-update-3997333?e=6478248543

Posted By: BillS2006

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/15/20 05:19 PM

Sorry, I cannot recommend GBRA for anything but the trash can. They have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be completely negligent in operating and maintaining the Guadalupe River and it's resources.

I'll ask the question being asked most often....What about Lake Wood?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/15/20 05:43 PM

lived a block away from the public ramp on McQueeney before it was bought. swam across Dunlap many times and now i understand you can walk across it. tell us all here a better reason to care. that place is corrupt.

peter lake... roflmao

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/15/20 05:49 PM

Another question....Has an election taken place to establish the WCID for Lake Dunlap? A lot of people don't realize that ONLY water front property owners can vote for the WCID and only property owners can serve on the board of directors.

And again....what about Lake Wood?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/18/20 02:28 PM

Lake Wood has long been forgotten. eeks A great lake back in the day! thumb

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/18/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Lake Wood has long been forgotten. eeks A great lake back in the day! thumb

It is ignored because the property owners are not millionaires. GBRA wanted the county to pass a tax on everyone in the county. And that will never fly. It was a good old boy political thing from the start, from the governor on down.
But the laugh is on the Dunlap, McQueeny, and Placid property owners. They are going to be taxed forever, their kids, grand kids and all for eternity. And GBRA will get the money and fatten their pockets again.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/18/20 03:21 PM

Isn't there suppose to hearing this fall concerning the dam problems? Might find more favorable views if one of the lakes was open to the public again.

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/18/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Isn't there suppose to hearing this fall concerning the dam problems? Might find more favorable views if one of the lakes was open to the public again.

Lakes are open to the public now, just ask anyone that owns property on the lakes.
This whole thing is out of control. Yes, there is a hearing but the state is backing GBRA, the water front owners are backing GBRA with their tax, and the tax hasn't even been voted on yet. Already signs up marking the Water Districts that haven't been approved by the voters.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 01:01 PM

I don't think sportsmen would have a problem with a tax if there would be public access to all those river lakes, and a public ramp with ample parking, and one or two picnic tables would be nice.
Now a sorry excuse for a boat ramp under I35 doesn't qualify for having public tax money spent to repair those lakes while all the others remain basically private.
From what I understand, any money that goes to repairs is going to include Dunlap, McQueeney only for near future repairs, and the reason I have that understanding is I haven't heard the others mentioned. I could be wrong!

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
I don't think sportsmen would have a problem with a tax if there would be public access to all those river lakes if a public ramp and maybe ample parking, and one or two picnic tables would be nice.
Now a sorry excuse for a boat ramp under I35 doesn't qualify for having public tax money spent to repair those lakes while all the others remain basically private.

Just to clarify: thus far, only water front property owners will be taxed, if they pass the tax. Only water front property owners can vote for the tax.
Only exception I know of is Gonzales County where GBRA asked the county commissioners to seek a tax on all citizens of the county. That didn't even take a second for it to be trashed.

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I don't think sportsmen would have a problem with a tax if there would be public access to all those river lakes if a public ramp and maybe ample parking, and one or two picnic tables would be nice.

Just to clarify: thus far, only water front property owners will be taxed, if they pass the tax. Only water front property owners can vote for the tax.
Only exception I know of is Gonzales County where GBRA asked the county commissioners to seek a tax on all citizens of the county. That didn't even take a second for it to be trashed.

Ok, sounds good! Then I don't see what the problem is?

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 02:05 PM

The problem is GBRA. They mismanaged the dams since they got control, and will keep control under the current proposal with no oversight.

When Lake Wood dam broke, GBRA said it would take 3 to 6 million to repair it and all the dams needed repair. Now it is up in the 30 to 40 million for EACH dam! When they saw they were being called on the repairs, they suddenly engineered a Cadillac system of gates with hydraulic operators and lots of bells and whistles. All the dams do is raise and lower the lake level for maintenance of the gates, nothing more. No flood control no nothing.

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 02:29 PM

So who pays their salary? I know who pays it, but it's going to take those people to make that change!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 02:42 PM

The GBRA is a JOKE. The only two river lakes that have public ramps are Dunlap and Placid. Both are state owned and are under freeway overpasses. Meadow and Mcqueeney have nothing but private ramps. I do not know anything about Lake Gonzales. I heard that there was a city park ramp for Gonzales but do not know that as a fact. If a lake has no public ramps they should not get one dime from the tax payers.

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
The GBRA is a JOKE. The only two river lakes that have public ramps are Dunlap and Placid. Both are state owned and are under freeway overpasses. Meadow and Mcqueeney have nothing but private ramps. I do not know anything about Lake Gonzales. I heard that there was a city park ramp for Gonzales but do not know that as a fact. If a lake has no public ramps they should not get one dime from the tax payers.

And those can be closed at a county judges discretion.Already been done. Lake Placid folks didn't want "outsiders" on their lake on Memorial Day so they convinced the county judge to close it for the holiday. So no precedence has been set.

For the record, Lake Gonzales has a pay ramp that the owner can close.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 03:36 PM

I miss the hamburgers and fried fish at McQueeny almost as much as I miss fishing it.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 09:02 PM

Who would be doing the work on the Dunlap dam? GBRA?

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 09:19 PM

GBRA would handle the design, repairs and operations
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 09:27 PM

The good property owners on Lake McQueeny who were so animately opposed to the "unwashed" using their pristine lake should be footing the bill for dam repairs. Maybe they should have been more careful what they wished for.

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/19/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Landry
The good property owners on Lake McQueeny who were so animately opposed to the "unwashed" using their pristine lake should be footing the bill for dam repairs. Maybe they should have been more careful what they wished for.

They will pay the bills. And their lake will remain private. It's Dunlap and Placid that are worries. Currently they are "open" but as Lake Placid property owners have shown, they have enough say that a judge closed Lake Placid to "outsiders" on Memorial Day. Do it once and it's easier the next time. Dunlap can do the same.

And this "plan" shuts out Lake Gonzales and Lake Wood from being repaired.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/20/20 12:53 AM

So the TWDB "loans" money to the GBRA to rebuild the dam. The same GBRA that didn't maintain the dam in the first place. The same GBRA that built a new $6 million dollar office?Then the home owners pay the TWDB back? Wow, that sounds like a sweet deal for GBRA.

And then somehow, Lake McQueeney, a publicly funded lake, gets to remain private? Wow! You can't make this stuff up.

When are the homeowners on Lake Wood going to sign up for this amazing, generous offer? This is kind of like paying "Smith" company for an extended warranty on your house, the house catching on fire and the "Smith" company telling you that they don't have the money to rebuild your house. But they can get someone to loan you the money and the "Smith" company can do the rebuilding.

Good luck people!

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/20/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
So the TWDB "loans" money to the GBRA to rebuild the dam. The same GBRA that didn't maintain the dam in the first place. The same GBRA that built a new $6 million dollar office?Then the home owners pay the TWDB back? Wow, that sounds like a sweet deal for GBRA.

And then somehow, Lake McQueeney, a publicly funded lake, gets to remain private? Wow! You can't make this stuff up.

When are the homeowners on Lake Wood going to sign up for this amazing, generous offer? This is kind of like paying "Smith" company for an extended warranty on your house, the house catching on fire and the "Smith" company telling you that they don't have the money to rebuild your house. But they can get someone to loan you the money and the "Smith" company can do the rebuilding.

Good luck people!

That pretty much tells the story.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: "Lake Dunlap Needs Your Help !" - 07/22/20 05:17 PM

This is an homeowners association problem. Not an issue for the general public/tax payer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum