Texas Fishing Forum

New boat owner

Posted By: HmmYup

New boat owner - 06/30/20 01:35 AM

My wife and I just bought our first boat and we're keeping it at the marina in Waco. It's a Tahoe 2150 deck boat. Anybody got any tips for us as first time boaters? Good places to fish?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 03:40 AM

Don't know much about Lake Waco, but I have a few basic tips I can give you.

1) Go to a big vacant school parking lot and practice backing the boat up if you're new at doing that. That will save you a ton of time and aggravation. If you're wife is going to be going with you she can learn at the same time. Trust me...don't do it on a boat ramp if you're never done it before. Just remember if you're steering wheel turns left (counter clockwise), your boat goes right. Always the opposite of which direction you're moving your steering wheel.
2) If you're launching in low light situations...ALWAYS turn off your headlights when backing down the ramp. Other people trying to launch will be blinded by your headlights. Just keep your parking lights on so they can see where you are.
3) Make sure you have all the safety equipment IN your boat...i.e. life jackets, fire extinguisher (make sure it's charged and working), throw float, and a kill switch. It's law now that when you're running your big motor you HAVE to have your kill switch attached to your life jacket.
4) The night before I always put the plug in my boat!

Just a few tips. Guess how I'm aware of these?? LOL!
Posted By: COFF

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 04:46 AM

1. Don't tow wakeboarders.
2. Make up a small first aid kit. Include diagonal cutters, peroxide, and super glue, along with typical first aid items.
3. Stow some extra rope in one of your dry boxes.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Don't know much about Lake Waco, but I have a few basic tips I can give you.

1) Go to a big vacant school parking lot and practice backing the boat up if you're new at doing that. That will save you a ton of time and aggravation. If you're wife is going to be going with you she can learn at the same time. Trust me...don't do it on a boat ramp if you're never done it before. Just remember if you're steering wheel turns left (counter clockwise), your boat goes right. Always the opposite of which direction you're moving your steering wheel.
2) If you're launching in low light situations...ALWAYS turn off your headlights when backing down the ramp. Other people trying to launch will be blinded by your headlights. Just keep your parking lights on so they can see where you are.
3) Make sure you have all the safety equipment IN your boat...i.e. life jackets, fire extinguisher (make sure it's charged and working), throw float, and a kill switch. It's law now that when you're running your big motor you HAVE to have your kill switch attached to your life jacket.
4) The night before I always put the plug in my boat!

Just a few tips. Guess how I'm aware of these?? LOL!

They are keeping the boat in a marina. I believe that typically means it's in a slip in the water? So, the towing tips aren't of much value to them. If so, the plug's already installed as well.

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by COFF
1. Don't tow wakeboarders.
2. Make up a small first aid kit. Include diagonal cutters, peroxide, and super glue, along with typical first aid items.
3. Stow some extra rope in one of your dry boxes.

Be careful with super glue. I won't put it on a wound. Some people have a violent chemical burn reaction to it. Medical use "super-glue" has a vastly different chemical composition. Veterinary medicine uses a product that seems to be equivalent to the human care "super glue" that's available at less than 1/10th the cost of the FDA certified product. Even that still isn't cheap.

I carry a number of wound management solutions, and more of them as I'm on blood thinners, so a wound can be a big deal for me when it's not for others. Each one has its' pros and cons.

In my opinion, the absolute best option is a product called "zipstitch." It can be purchased without a prescription at reasonable cost. Zipstitch bandages are individually sealed. and much easier to use than any glue, and avoids gluing fingers into a wound while trying to hold it closed. There's a youtube video on them to show how to use. They had a bright idea on this one. Of course, zipstitch is not feasible for some wound sites, which is why I have other options such as Steri-strips.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 12:49 PM

one more thing when putting your boat in the water do so in a timely manner.and when loading load and pulling out of the way so as not to block anyone else
Posted By: CarlT

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 12:54 PM

Familiarize yourself with boating regulations, boating safety course might be helpful, make a list of pre launch items like plugs in, straps off, extra battery, take an experienced boat operator out with you. Just a few random thoughts. Do prep work before you enter the boat ramp

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by CarlT
Familiarize yourself with boating regulations, boating safety course might be helpful, make a list of pre launch items like plugs in, straps off, extra battery, take an experienced boat operator out with you. Just a few random thoughts. Do prep work before you enter the boat ramp

Launching tips would be somewhat meaningless if the boat's in the water at the marina, right? (His apparently is.)
A good jumpstarter is a viable and sensible option to a second battery these days. They're easy to keep charged at home also.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 01:23 PM

Keep your motor out of the water while moored in the slip. Keep boat and motor covered while moored in the slip. Keep batteries charged. Pull out and pressure wash bottom of hull semi-annually. Consider investing in a gas caddy with manual pump to avoid Marina price fuel.

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 02:45 PM

We are in a slip, yes, but we plan to take it out maybe quarterly or 2-3 times a year to clean the hull, apply wax, and look to make sure everything is in order.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 09:41 PM

Put on a lift
Posted By: senko9S

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 09:56 PM

boaters safety class would be a good idea

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 10:01 PM

Yup I'm set for a boater education class on July 25 in Tool with the USCG Auxiliary but we'll probably be taking it out a few times before then. I've looked over the rules of the road and operation. The plug is in. I feel like I'm set for the basics until that 7/25 class and looking forward to it. It's a brand new boat so I don't anticipate anything going wrong with it anytime soon but you never know. I've made a mental note to check the engine oil and check that there's nothing other than a little water in the bilge before I pull it out. I bought the 12v jump starter today and it will be delivered tomorrow (Amazon is awesome!). I didn't think about using a lift at the marina. I've seen a couple there but I wonder how much they charge to use them just for cleaning. I'll have to ask.

On a different note, getting gas for the boat is... difficult. The nearest gas station from the marina is about a 10-15 minute drive. The only gas available on the lake is at the marina at Ridgewood Country Club and it's for Ridgewood members only. Big missed opportunity by them!

Oh and did I mention that I'm 40 and just now got my first boat? I was in the Navy roughly 20 years ago (BM) but just now getting around to my own. I feel a little ashamed by that. LOL

Re: New boat owner - 06/30/20 11:51 PM

Here's one thing I'd like you to keep in mind when you are boating so you are legal, safe, and don't get tricked by your own boat.

You've no doubt read that you must use a "kill switch" for the engine anytime it is running now, per state law. I clip the lanyard for the kill-switch to a small D-ring on my PFD that's there for just that purpose. When I stop the engine and get up from my seat, I remove that PFD and drop it in the seat (as a cover to keep a cool spot to sit later). The lanyard stays attached to it, and all is good. BUT....what if I get up after I shut down the engine and walk away from the seat? Now, I've pulled that lanyard from the switch. When I sit down later and try to start the engine, it's not going to start. Keep this in mind as something to check right away if your engine does not start. It's easy to reattach the lanyard to the switch.
Posted By: nxt

Re: New boat owner - 07/01/20 10:37 PM

Congrats on the new boat (Bos'n). Don't get the urge to paint that new boat "haze grey". lol
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 12:01 AM

Make sure you have a flashlight on there too. I believe that is in the regs too. I keep various tools on mine, crescent, Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, a wrench that fits my cranker battery nuts and a wrench that fits my spare tire. Utility towels too come in handy. Enjoy !
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
Make sure you have a flashlight on there too. I believe that is in the regs too. I keep various tools on mine, crescent, Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, a wrench that fits my cranker battery nuts and a wrench that fits my spare tire. Utility towels too come in handy. Enjoy !

Source for this misinformation?

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 01:09 AM

Lights Required
All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Regs. That’s how I read it. Not a bad thing to have on board regardless.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 01:10 AM

Lights Required
All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Again, flashlight is not a required item. Pretty much all newer manufactured boats come with bow and stern lights.

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Lights Required

Again, flashlight is not a required item. Pretty much all newer manufactured boats come with bow and stern lights.

Okay bud, you’re right. Feel better? Just trying to help the guy out not get into a pissing contest.

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 04:41 AM

Lights Required

Okay bud, you’re right. Feel better? Just trying to help the guy out not get into a pissing contest.

4Weight, I'd venture to say that a new boat owner is NOT going to realize that the technical regulation statement you quoted means "the pole light that plugs into the socket at the rear of the boat." Some might freak over that legaleze when all it means is "the pole light". You may know it's an anchor light, as I do, but a new boater's head is already spinning. The regulation doesn't require a flashlight, per se. That's just part of the legal way they describe what could possibly function to meet the regulation. They don't mean a typical hand-held flashlight there. That is a reference to a special flashlight mounted on a pole with a clamp. The lens on that flashlight is domed and meant to serve as the required all-around light. They are often purchased for occasional use on jon-boats.

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 04:51 AM

He doesn't understand how to interpret the legaleze of boating regulations. He quoted the light requirement, and took it to literally mean a flashlight was required. It seems fly fishermen aren't as familiar with boats. roflmao

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Lights Required

4Weight, I'd venture to say that a new boat owner is NOT going to realize that the technical regulation statement you quoted means "the pole light that plugs into the socket at the rear of the boat." Some might freak over that legaleze when all it means is "the pole light". You may know it's an anchor light, as I do, but a new boater's head is already spinning. The regulation doesn't require a flashlight, per se. That's just part of the legal way they describe what could possibly function to meet the regulation. They don't mean a typical hand-held flashlight there. That is a reference to a special flashlight mounted on a pole with a clamp. The lens on that flashlight is domed and meant to serve as the required all-around light. They are often purchased for occasional use on jon-boats.

Racially biased against Kayakers I see.
roflmao

Re: New boat owner - 07/02/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

He doesn't understand how to interpret the legaleze of boating regulations. He quoted the light requirement, and took it to literally mean a flashlight was required. It seems fly fishermen aren't as familiar with boats. roflmao

No question you got that right !!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum