Texas Fishing Forum

Caddo Lake Update

Posted By: Bit Man

Caddo Lake Update - 06/29/20 01:44 PM

Fished Caddo for the first time last Monday through Thursday, fished it hard too, daylight to dark with a lunch break every day. We caught over 50 fish, 20 of them give or take on top waters (frogs and buzz baits) in the morn or in the eve. All of our better fish came on top. My son caught a 5.28 on the first night on a frog, sucker came out of the water and took it down like you see on a TV show, it was pretty epic. It was his best frog fish ever and it ended up being our biggest fish of the trip. I did lose a whopper on Thursday morning on a frog, I am not good with frogs, but I did slay them on a buzz bait. It did seem they ate one particular frog better than others, white belly with a red throat, we only had one so I colored a white belly frogs throat red with a sharpie and never got a blow up on it, weird. I did catch one 4 pounder on a frog with a purple belly and lost the big one on that frog as well.

A 7" tx rigged ribbon tail worm in june bug caught a lot of fish in the bayous casting around docks and bulk heads but mostly smaller 2s with the occasional 2.5 to 3# fish.

Caught a few nice ones on the main lake as well on 5" swim baits but the bites were very long in between so we stayed on the bayous more than the lake as the action was much better and it was nice being in a little deeper water.

We only over heated our motor once and I bent my prop in the govt ditch but all it all it was an awesome trip and we had so much fun together just fishing for the week.

We stayed at Shady Glade, it was perfect, room was clean, cafe food was friggen awesome, they had a boat slip for us all week which made it super convenient and we had zero issues with anything.

Id like to thank BassManRudy for helping us on this trip, upon arrival i learned my Humminbird lake master TX/OK chip didnt have this lake on it, luckily my Solix did have a base map for it but on this lake a base map is not much. But Rudy sent me some maps and images via text which were super helpful and allowed us to travel more with confidence as this place is very scary and overwhelming at first. So thank you Rudy!!!

If you are looking for a special trip with a loved one, this place is perfect as its good fishing and the most amazing scenery. Thanks guys! Tight lines!
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 06/29/20 05:21 PM

I hope to make a trip to Caddo Lake at least once before I'm too old. It is on my bucket list! Thanks for the great write-up, enjoyed reading it.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 06/29/20 05:56 PM

Saying Caddo Lake is overwhelming at first is a TRUE statement. I have been fishing it since I was a pre-teen and now in my mid 60's still have a lot of respect for watching where I am at. It is a beautiful lake with lots of great sights and sounds. Like you said, nice people and lots of good food there. Glad you had a good time Bit Man.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 06/29/20 07:15 PM

Great report. thumb
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 06/29/20 10:19 PM

Great report. Caddo is a fantastic lake. I helped with an electro-shocking fish study of it in the 90s. There are places on the lake that not many people will ever see; and will never be seen from a bass boat.
Posted By: Curtis L

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 06/29/20 10:56 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 06/30/20 11:40 AM

Glad y'all had a good trip!! Some of those storms that popped up while you were here got crazy! Sucks you lost a monster on a frog... Kinda interesting the red belly thing on the white frog. Will have to check my frogs for something similar.
Posted By: Bit Man

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/01/20 07:13 PM

Yeah Rudy, get some with a red throat on them and see if it works, seemed to get him more bites than the ones I was using and we were working them the same way, basically walking them in place by the cypress trunks and then would walk them out into the grass line. He was using a Spro in the Sexy Frog color, i think is what they call it, looks like a sexy shad crank bait on the sides but had that red throat.

Miss running that ditch already, these oklahoma lakes are boring now smile
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/01/20 09:10 PM

Great update. Would love to go there one day. Man I did not realize Caddo was that big. Lake Lewisville big. I bet it is a beautiful place.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/02/20 07:55 PM

Awesome report... thumb

The wife and I go every year, but she only enjoys the boat ride and catfish at either River Bend or Big Pines. One of these days I'm going without her so I can do some fishing.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/03/20 11:01 PM

thumb
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/04/20 12:44 AM

When i was a kid we had access to a large cabin near Goat Island. Lots of memories fishing and duck hunting. My dad and neighbor had a chance to buy the place. Lakefront, 6 acres, a large house with jons and motors. I still cant beludve they passed on it.
Posted By: BassMajician

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/04/20 08:07 PM

Great write up. Thanks.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/05/20 03:35 PM

Wonderful Report!. Glad you guys had a great time.
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/10/20 09:21 PM

Your report brings back many pleasant memories of times I spent on Caddo. I need to go again as I have not been there in several years. Thanks for reminding me.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/11/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GTrigg
Awesome report... thumb

The wife and I go every year, but she only enjoys the boat ride and catfish at either River Bend or Big Pines. One of these days I'm going without her so I can do some fishing.

When you decide to go fishing, holler at me and I will try and go with you. It's been years since I have fished Caddo. I have great memories of fishing it with my dad.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Caddo Lake Update - 07/11/20 08:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Magical place. Only been once but want to go again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum