Texas Fishing Forum

Johnson tilt and trim

Posted By: Fat Shaft

Johnson tilt and trim - 06/27/20 02:47 PM

Ok quick question. I have a 97 Johnson 200 hp. I have a transom saver that goes from motor to trailer. I bungee motor to top of transom saver. But I can lift up on motor and it will lift off of trailer. The pump ram will give a inch or two. I had problems with motor bouncing off trailer rest while driving down the road. So I bought another used pump and changed it out. But it is doing the same thing. Am I missing something? Should I be able to lift motor up 2 inches while it is tight against trailer on transom saver?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Johnson tilt and trim - 06/27/20 03:55 PM

did you bleed the system after the pump change?
may have a weak bypass also check the manual release and make sure it is not half on.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Johnson tilt and trim - 06/27/20 04:28 PM

I think I suggested that, hop. I've seen it just be the need for new O-rings on that valve stem.
Posted By: merc200

Re: Johnson tilt and trim - 06/29/20 07:17 PM

I used to have a brand new 1987 Johnson 88 hp. I remember the same thing happening, the motor would bounce and I could lift it off the transom saver by hand. The dealer/mechanic told me to continue to tilt the motor down even though the motor, transom saver and trailer roller were all in contact. You keep tilting down until the tilt rods are fully compressed. At this point stop trimming. The trim now has been engaged and will keep the motor from bouncing and you being able to lift it. Works complete different than my Mercury where you stop the tilt as soon as it makes contact with the transom saver. I was told this is the correct method for my Johnson. I'm not sure but yours may be the same method since they are only 10 years apart.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum