Texas Fishing Forum

When to use what- lures

Posted By: wh2004

When to use what- lures - 06/24/20 11:25 AM

I’m getting more in to bass fishing and want to learn when it’s appropriate to throw each type of lure. For example, what dictates you throwing a square bill crankbait over a regular? Carolina rig vs Texas rig vs weightless? When do you choose a spinner bait? And so on. How about colors?

I appreciate any info!
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/24/20 11:27 AM

YouTube is full of great info.

Tactical Bassin
Debo's Fishing
Bass Geek
Flukemaster
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/24/20 11:45 AM

The bug has bit and the addiction begins.. lol as Lee said YouTube is a source of info. The internet in general. Search bass techniques and read till your tired! So many ways to catch them, so few days to get to go try.. I have bought so many lures that I have never ever tried. As far as when and where to fish a certain bait.. that changes everyday with the conditions. Calm slick water I will be throwing a worm, jig something quiet I can ease in on them. Same bank same fish, add wind and a spinner bait or crank bait comes out. Square bill helps in cover! Helps it bounce off snags. Fishing pressure changes things too. Trial and error.. good luck out there!

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/24/20 12:07 PM

Thank you both.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/24/20 01:48 PM

You might also look up Youtube videos for guys in east Texas. There are a couple on Lake Fork, James Niggemeyer does good stuff.

And when you figure out which one to throw, let me know, because 9 times out of 10 I am not throwing the right bait!!

Keep it simple.

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/24/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skeeter_Ed
You might also look up Youtube videos for guys in east Texas. There are a couple on Lake Fork, James Niggemeyer does good stuff.

And when you figure out which one to throw, let me know, because 9 times out of 10 I am not throwing the right bait!!

Keep it simple.

Simple is definitely what I do now. I usually have a finesse worm on drop shot, a Regular bill crankbait, or rattle trap.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/26/20 02:10 AM

The question of what to use and where depends on the water you fish and season/ time of day.

Posted By: SAdoc

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/26/20 03:28 AM

https://m.bassmaster.com/vandams-6-season-bass-guide
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/29/20 02:32 AM

I usually start out with a lipless crankbait and a weightless senko and go from there.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: When to use what- lures - 06/29/20 11:30 AM

early morning can be an awesome topwater bite or you may have to be in 25' with a c rig.

like said, conditions dictate what you start with and then it comes down to personal preference most of the time.
time on the water and even go with a couple of different guides and have them teach a technique.

different styles of chasin the lil green money monsters, whatever works for you is what is best.
Posted By: Rich12

Re: When to use what- lures - 07/11/20 10:01 PM

The answer is easy. Probably the easiest question in bass fishing to answer.

Step one: 80lb braided line.
Step two: Extra heavy action rod
Step three: Tie on Tackle box. Toss it out and see what bait gets hit first. Use that one. hammer

Re: When to use what- lures - 07/12/20 10:37 PM

This is a great article.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: When to use what- lures - 07/12/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
I’m getting more in to bass fishing and want to learn when it’s appropriate to throw each type of lure. For example, what dictates you throwing a square bill crankbait over a regular? Carolina rig vs Texas rig vs weightless? When do you choose a spinner bait? And so on. How about colors?

I appreciate any info!

You'll figure out females a long time before you do fish.

Re: When to use what- lures - 07/12/20 11:55 PM

Been married 14 years once and 1 year now. Have two daughters.
I’m not so sure sir. I’m pretty lost.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum