Texas Fishing Forum

Caddo lake advice. First trip there

Posted By: Bit Man

Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/16/20 02:30 AM

My son wants to go to Caddo since the corona messed up our plans to go to Canada. We live in Oklahoma so it’s not too far. Where are some good clean safe places to stay and good eats. Also any parts of the lake to focus on? He wants to catch them on a frog since we don’t have much of there here In Oklahoma. Just looking for someth My different for a week of fishing. Thought about hitting lake o the pines too. Thoughts on that as well please. Thx guys
Danny
Posted By: 361V

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/16/20 12:27 PM

We generally stay in the upper end of lake at Uncertain Texas. You have easy access from here up into the river if you want and some of the best scenery of the entire lake is all around this area. If we don't rent a house we usually just stay at Shady Glade on the lake in Uncertain. http://www.shadygladeresort.com/ Not the Ritz but works for us. Good breakfast and burger at the little cafe at Shady Glade and we usually shoot up Government Ditch to the river and tie up and eat on the water at Big Pines Lodge for some good catfish and a beer. You can also tie up and eat at Riverbend Restaurant on the river. Caddo can be overwhelming because EVERYTHING looks fishy and there are guys on here with more up to date fishing info then me but one of the summer time standards is flipping main lake deeper isolated individual Cypress trees. “Deeper” is a relative term on Caddo. Also bass often school up on the river(Big Cypress Bayou). The best thing about Caddo is regardless of the fishing the scenery is always amazing! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/16/20 12:35 PM

Awesome. Thank you for sharing. Being from South Louisiana myself I am attracted to Caddo because it reminds me of home for sure!

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/16/20 03:09 PM

Coming from OK do I need only a TX or a LA license, or do you need both if you want to explore both sides?

Thanks
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/16/20 11:22 PM

Caddo can be a place to get lost. Every thing starts to look the same. If you have GPS, use it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/17/20 01:31 AM

Either Louisiana or Texas fishing license is fine.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/17/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Curt0407
Caddo can be a place to get lost. Every thing starts to look the same. If you have GPS, use it.

Up to date lake map, GPS and a full tank of gas! Don't ask how I know hammer
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/17/20 11:49 AM

A post on here from just a little bit ago that should help. Lots and Lots of places to throw a frog on Caddo!! Don't avoid the salvania either as the bass will blow up thru it to hit the frog!! Stay IN the boat row on the side the arrow is pointing Towards!! Quite dangerous outside a boat row so just idle otherwise. Johnson's or Tucker's would be a good place to launch on the Texas side. Good luck!!

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13552585/re-caddo-lake#Post13552585

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/17/20 11:52 AM

If you want to hit Pines as well this was a good thread about it. Lot more "open" water there but get back into some of the major creek arms and tons of shallow cover to throw at.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...e-fishing-lake-of-the-pines#Post13573126

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/17/20 01:31 PM

This is a site that gets a lot of reports for Caddo due to a lot of members living there.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?board=46.0

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/17/20 03:09 PM

Thank you Rudy!!!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/18/20 04:42 PM

It's been a minute since I've been out there but carry a hand towel with you for sure. If you throw a top water, jerkbait (soft or hard) or a spinnerbait, the odds are pretty good that you'll end up catching a pickerel or two. They are some slimy suckers and a towel will be a most handy item to have in the boat.
Posted By: Mgfan58

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/24/20 10:08 PM

Shady Glade Resort is where we always stay. Not fancy, but clean and really nice owners.

I’d suggest a guide for at least one day. Randy Deaver or Paul Keith both know that lake like the back of their hands. Both great guys as well.

Maybe Andy will come along with a fishing report and some tips. He knows the lake and is willing to help visitors out.

Mgfan58
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/24/20 11:45 PM

Make sure you bring your Bigfoot repellent.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/28/20 03:55 AM

I’m here for the first time now. It’s a different world here for sure.

No fish btw.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Caddo lake advice. First trip there - 06/28/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
I’m here for the first time now. It’s a different world here for sure.

No fish btw.

Topwaters in the morning and afternoon. Pitch the cedars during the day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum