Texas Fishing Forum

Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990?

Posted By: BOCK

Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 06:08 AM

Anyone know of any vintage "low profile" model reel that was available during this time? I apparently had one back in 1990 going through photos, just wondering what It could be because the photos are so old I cant tell. lol.
Thanks.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 12:15 PM

I know that Shimano was producing their Bantam reels as early as '81 because I had one that I purchased at Western Auto in Granbury. I also remember Lews Speed Spools from the same era.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 02:01 PM

I still use a couple of shimano bantams from the 80’s. Still work perfectly.

Mo
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 03:25 PM

I had some really old Abu Garcia bait casters in the early 90s. I remember my dad bought them to try them out. He hated them and gave them to me. To this day he still doesn't like bait casters.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 03:28 PM

These are like the ones I had. I may still have them out in the garage somewhere. I know last time I seen them I took it apart to clean it thinking I would toss it on a truck rod if I wanted to stop at random pond. Maybe I should still do that, but that would mean buying a cheap rod that wont break in the back the truck.

abu reel
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 06:12 PM

Abu daiwa and others made them I tried a few quantum’s sold them. Continued to use abu round reels.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by FishTheBite
I know that Shimano was producing their Bantam reels as early as '81 because I had one that I purchased at Western Auto in Granbury. I also remember Lews Speed Spools from the same era.

Lew's reels were made by Shimano back about that time. I had 2 of them (Lews)
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/04/20 10:16 PM

If you could post the photo, or at least post the part zoomed in or cropped where the reel is, maybe either I or someone else here could be able to identify what you had.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/05/20 12:43 AM

ABU Garcia Ultra Mag in the early 80’s.......at Oshmans. How’s that for a blast from the past? Those were great reels. Really cast great and were real workhorses. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: markson

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/05/20 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
ABU Garcia Ultra Mag in the early 80’s.......at Oshmans. How’s that for a blast from the past? Those were great reels. Really cast great and were real workhorses.

Free floating line guide and a lifetime warranty, those were the best!!!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/05/20 03:58 AM

Quantam 1310 mg
Ryobi "one"
Shimano Bantam
Daiwa had a smooth reel too.
Posted By: BOCK

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/06/20 09:33 AM

[Linked Image]
Looked like a Kmart special abu reel, just dont know the model. Funny because looking back I didn't realize Low profile baitcasters were made back then, Figured they were all round reels. Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: bobrfishes

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/09/20 11:33 PM

Diawa introduced the PMF 1000 in 1984. It was tiny compared to the ABU’s everyone was using. Fell in love with the “Magnetic Cast Control” which was the first and still is the best. I have several and still use them on a regular basis.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/10/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by bobrfishes
Diawa introduced the PMF 1000 in 1984. It was tiny compared to the ABU’s everyone was using. Fell in love with the “Magnetic Cast Control” which was the first and still is the best. I have several and still use them on a regular basis.

I have a Daiwa PM? XX something from the late '80's (IIRC) and it was a great reel!

My dad bought both of us matching rod/reels and we used them for years! cheers

It is the one I caught the 5'+ Alligator on it was the hardest workout I ever put it through but it did a great job. fish

I will have to go out and look for it and see what model it was because the # I thought I remembered it being shows nothing on Google.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Vintage low profile baitcaster reels from cir. 1990? - 06/20/20 04:23 AM

ABU Garcia Ultra Mag in the early 80’s.......at Oshmans. How’s that for a blast from the past? Those were great reels. Really cast great and were real workhorses. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These were pretty good reels wish I still had them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum