Texas Fishing Forum

Mid/late summer Buchanan tips?

Posted By: boocat

Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 05/29/20 09:41 PM

Will be there Jul 21 for a few days. I know a little about the stripers, deep when hot. Maybe on top early and cloudy, watch for birds. What else do I need to know? Beat the banks? Crappie would be nice too. Even BIG blue gill would be awesome. Got anything? Yeah got a boat and sonar.
Posted By: Riverrat9

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 05/31/20 07:30 PM

Go upriver all the way to the State Park. It's about 10 miles from Tow on the main upper lake. Catch bait under water falls. I don't catch many striper but catfish, bass, bluegill should be upper end of lake still where it narrows.

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 05/31/20 07:53 PM

Thanks, I have been a few miles past the falls before. Not sure where the rocks start. Any crappie tips?
Posted By: Riverrat9

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/01/20 01:02 PM

No crappie tips from me...

Stay in middle of river and you can drive all the way up with no problems. When lake is low the hard part is getting to the first big waterfall on the left.
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/02/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Riverrat9

Stay in middle of river and you can drive all the way up with no problems. When lake is low the hard part is getting to the first big waterfall on the left.

This^^. We've been up to Bend numerous times in a CC. Just make sure you're in the middle of the river. When at Bend, pay close action to the current as it becomes shallower.

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/02/20 07:24 PM

ok, thanks
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/02/20 08:14 PM

What are you wanting fish for?

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/02/20 10:38 PM

Anything that I can eat.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/03/20 04:15 PM

For white and Hybrids/stripers Mid and lower lake humps are the ticket right now. Jigging spoons or live shad. Shad can be caught in the back of the coves and creeks all over the lake most of the time. Gizzards are more common up north but can be found down south in the back of coves. The hotter it gets the better for them. Threadfins are better in the early morning
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/16/20 02:25 PM

Following with interest since I will be there late June. Never been there before.

Riverrat9, by "go upriver all the way to the State Park" did you mean Inks Lake State Park?

We're staying on the river in Kingsland. Can I follow the river to the lake or do I need to launch elsewhere?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/17/20 12:28 PM

Not that familiar with Buch, but I'd say "up the river" would be heading north away from the dam and Inks Lake Digger.
Posted By: natvet

Re: Mid/late summer Buchanan tips? - 06/17/20 01:46 PM

I believe he means Colorado Bend state park. You would have to launch in Buc. lake and head North( up river). You cannot launch in Inks lake and get "upper river".
I have had a hard time lately find the whites in upper portion of the lake. I will try closer to the dam and see if they are there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum