Texas Fishing Forum

Which trolling motor

Posted By: KMA Fishing

Which trolling motor - 05/29/20 01:17 PM

I am looking to upgrade my trolling motor with one that has spot lock. I would like to know the main difference in Minn Kota Ultrex and Garmin Force. Is the Garmin worth the difference? Thanks for your help with this.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Which trolling motor - 05/29/20 01:43 PM

I don’t have the comparison data, but I just had the Minn Kota Maxxum (70#) replaced with an Ultrex (80#). Even ignoring spot lock, the Ultrex is much more user friendly.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Which trolling motor - 05/29/20 11:40 PM

Bring your $$$$$$$.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Which trolling motor - 05/30/20 12:46 PM

Key is they all do close to the same. It’s all about what electronics you have on your boat and if you want to connect them to the electronics. Motor guide only works with lowrance, minnkota only works with hummingbird, Garmin only works with garmin. Now if you’re like me and don’t care much about drawing lines on electronics for the trolling motor to follow, you can buy one with just spot lock and no connector. The Sonors on all brands have an adapter cable to work with any brand. I’m surprised that they don’t make an adapter cable for the trolling motor to connect to all electronics. My guess is they do this to keep brand loyalty.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Which trolling motor - 05/30/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Burbarry
Key is they all do close to the same. It’s all about what electronics you have on your boat and if you want to connect them to the electronics. Motor guide only works with lowrance, minnkota only works with hummingbird, Garmin only works with garmin. Now if you’re like me and don’t care much about drawing lines on electronics for the trolling motor to follow, you can buy one with just spot lock and no connector. The Sonors on all brands have an adapter cable to work with any brand. I’m surprised that they don’t make an adapter cable for the trolling motor to connect to all electronics. My guess is they do this to keep brand loyalty.

My MinnKota Terrova works just fine with my Lowrance.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Which trolling motor - 06/01/20 11:29 AM

I went from a 112 fortrex to the garmin and think it was worth the money now, buying it involves some sticker shock.

changed to 2 93sv plus units with the 57" force on a 95 202 champion, adding panoptix and another unit soon to finish it out.
I went with garmin for the brushless motor, all the bells and whistles are about the same across the board any more, anchor lock works great and is a game changer, updates and use are super easy and the phone app makes things easy. birds will work with lowrance, garmin will only work with garmin (the panoptix was one of my reasons), lowrance I am not sure about. one thing about garmins force is how clean the install ends up, no cables/wires on the front deck like I had with the fortrex.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Which trolling motor - 06/02/20 04:01 PM

The selling point for me and my Lowrance units was the “go to” feature. Touch a waypoint and the motorguide takes you there. I’m pretty sure Minn Kota does the same with Humminbird. Not sure if Garmin has that feature yet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum