Texas Fishing Forum

Choke canyon map info

Posted By: redfish31

Choke canyon map info - 05/20/20 01:30 AM

What is the best way to get to Huisache island on choke canyon—should I leave Callaham ramp or the south shore ramp— or if anybody has a pic of a map that would be great to
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/20/20 03:53 AM

South shore if there is not a north wind over 15mph. If it’s windy out of the north, go to Calliham.

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/22/20 04:50 PM

Is the south shore ramp open??
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/23/20 01:14 PM

It was up to a few weeks ago when I was there last.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/23/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by redfish31

yes

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/23/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

yes

It’s a fricking zoo today, I can’t figure out how guys make parking between 2 lines, so complicated! It’s a simple task, take up 1 spot, instead of 2 and more people can fit in the parking lot. bang
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/23/20 04:10 PM

Holiday weekend expectations. Reason I am staying at home.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/23/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

yes

It’s a fricking zoo today, I can’t figure out how guys make parking between 2 lines, so complicated! It’s a simple task, take up 1 spot, instead of 2 and more people can fit in the parking lot. bang

I was the first to put in yesterday and they were starting to put in behind me as i idled out. Traffic wasn't bad on the lake and there were about 25 rigs in the lot when I left. Fishing sucked, lots of dinks.

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/23/20 09:18 PM

What were the bass biting on I have a really bad craving for some flipping—-if you don’t mind we asking??
Posted By: Wiki

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/25/20 02:22 PM

What is the Kayak fishing like on Choke? Can you get into some nice water within a couple miles from a ramp?
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/25/20 02:41 PM

^^^^^ Have you seen the size of the alligators there? No way I would be in a kayak.
Posted By: Wiki

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/25/20 03:01 PM

I have never heard of any Kayak's being attacked by a gator. I have wade fished all over Port O' Conner and STX. Been more more encounters and no attacks. Not saying there is o fear just want to get on the water

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/26/20 03:31 AM

I’ve seen guys in kayaks all the way across the lake, between telephone point and 3 fingers. I personally think they are nuts; but it’s their choice.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke canyon map info - 05/26/20 12:53 PM

I would worry more about the wind than the alligators!
I've seen kayakers out there around hog island and up toward Mason point and salt creek.

Just don't drag a stringer of fish beside your kayak and you will be okay.
I was fishing up near San Miguel creek several years ago out of my bass rig, and I had one of those metal clip chain stringers with about 8 nice white bass attached to it.
I was kind of working along with my trolling motor and the stringer over the side.
I felt a hard jolt and thought nothing of it as I thought I might have drifted up on stump and bumped the boat.
I caught another white bass and reached down and grabbed the stringer and lifted it up and all I had in my hand was a piece of chain about 10" long.
I didn't put two and two together right away and figured I snagged the stringer on that stump and ripped my stringer off breaking the chain.
Later on I spotted about a 14' gator a little ways down the bank, and that gator was as long as my boat and then it hit me as the light bulb went off. noidea
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum