Texas Fishing Forum

Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/15/20 08:14 PM

I was going through my Texas fishing records and realized that I have achieved fishing records on over 60 different species of fish. What amazed me most was that my freshwater list included 28 different species. We are blessed with a vast variety of fish species in Texas. Determining what species are available, in the area you are fishing, is a great way to improve your fishing success.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CarlB

Re: Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/18/20 03:06 PM

That is a lot of fish. I count 19 freshwater species that I've caught, but no records.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/18/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by CarlB
That is a lot of fish. I count 19 freshwater species that I've caught, but no records.

Nineteen Freshwater species is a big number. You had to put in several fishing hours to get that many.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/19/20 05:36 AM

I bet that was fun!
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/19/20 01:40 PM

So far, I've caught about 8 of them.

Drum
Bluegill
Rock bass
White bass
Spotted bass
Largemouth bass
Channel Cat
Gar

Looking forward to many more

PS: Congratulations to the OP. That's one heck of a record.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/20/20 06:25 PM

I used to have my fresh water list and salt water list of species in documents on my computer. It died years ago , not backed up.

I should try to recreate it , I know that I caught 14 species in one day of fishing Key West harbour.

I don't have any records , I have caught a few that would have been , had I been inclined to do the paperwork. Lake Palestine is
ripe for someone to set a bunch of fly rod records.
Congrats on your success

MO
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Texas Has Great Fish Species Diversity - Try Some Different Fish Species - 05/20/20 08:10 PM

Interesting exercise. Here's what I can remember for freshwater, probably missing a few.

Bass:
Largemouth
Smallmouth
Spotted
Guad
White (Sand)
Striper
Hybrid
Yellow

Crappie:
White
Black

Catfish:
Channel
Blue
Flathead (Yellow)
Opelousas - may still be classed as a flathead?
Mudcat (Bullhead)

Sunfish:
Redear
Goggle eye
Warmouth
Bluegill
Longear

Gar:
Longnose
Alligator
Spotted

Misc: