Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for a fishing getaway

Posted By: ETXRaider

Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/02/20 08:49 PM

Hello everyone, new to the forum and have somewhat of an odd question, at the end of July i'll have a pretty decent break in my job and I'm looking for a place to get away with my family and want to be able to fish while there. I want somewhere nice enough for my wife and one year old daughter to enjoy themselves with hopefully some private water that I can piddle around on and maybe catch a few bass. Don't really have a preference on location within texas. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/02/20 09:36 PM

Will you have a boat, be hiring a guide or just bank fishing. Also is there a specific species you are looking to catch?

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/02/20 09:50 PM

Probably bring a kayak with me or a small flat bottom with a trolling motor. Bass is primarily what I was thinking but I'm open to anything
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/03/20 05:23 AM

There are all kinds of private bass lakes in Texas, just Google it and see for yourself. I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/03/20 07:36 AM

If you're open to camping, Martin Creek lake is a nice get away...as is Martin Dies. Both offer corps of engineers shelters that have water and electricity. A couple of air mattresses and some sleeping bags and you're good. Both have sheltered places to kayak and lost of trails to explore.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/04/20 01:47 PM

My Family and I just returned from Robbers Cave in OK. Such a beautiful place and plenty of camping areas. Has a few hidden lakes you can launch a kayak and fish for bass.
Posted By: floydster

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/04/20 08:44 PM

Degray lake, Arkansas. Great lodge, restaurant very reasonable rates. Nice lake for fishing boating swimming. Hiking trails, golf course. Just southwest of Hot springs. Drag your boat, kayak, or I think they rent boats at marina. Call to see if open due to this plague.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/04/20 09:58 PM

Does Lake McQueeney still have water? There was talk about draining it because of problems with the dam, but I think it got held up. Do some diligence first, and if it has water, then I'd recommend getting a VRBO house there. It is a beautiful hill country spot real close to New Braunfels. The wife can spend her days there or San Marcos, and nights in Gruene.

And McQueeney is/was a great bass lake, home to my PB. But if it has been drained, then forget everything I just said.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/04/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ETXRaider
Probably bring a kayak with me or a small flat bottom with a trolling motor. Bass is primarily what I was thinking but I'm open to anything

What part of the world are you in?

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/05/20 12:53 AM

East Texas but I'm open to about anywhere in texas
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/05/20 01:11 AM

beavers bend on broken bow.

small mouth in the lake, trout in the river.

just be real sure of the trout laws if you chase them, and get the special license.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/05/20 01:18 AM

Goggle blue gill cabins and see if that interests you.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/05/20 04:52 PM

We have been getting VRBO's at different lakes during all this mess. We have been to Athens, Bob Sandlin and next is Palestine. VRBOs are getting pretty reasonable now.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/05/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by trapperben
Goggle blue gill cabins and see if that interests you.

Originally Posted by hopalong

just be real sure of the trout laws if you chase them, and get the special license.

I am not trying to rain on hopalongs post; just add to the Broken Bow part. There are numerous BEAUTIFUL log cabins around Broken Bow. I am talking cabins that are so nice, they will make you ashamed of whatever you live in. We stayed in cabin called Dakota Bear. INCREDIBLE! Just google cabins around Broken Bow. There is every size cabin you could want.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/06/20 02:07 AM

Yep!
thumb
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/06/20 12:05 PM

Look up Riverrat9 on this forum. He has a place on the Nueces River close to Mathis, Tx that looks nice. Here is a review:

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...nueces-river-retreat-review#Post13519501

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/07/20 11:49 PM

May have to try this. I've never caught a small mouth and would love to. How's the fishing in mid summer?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/09/20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ETXRaider

May have to try this. I've never caught a small mouth and would love to. How's the fishing in mid summer?

should be good, deep clear water lake. hula grubs and jigs, red eye shad would be my start lures. find some underwater ledges.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/09/20 05:25 PM

There are a few nice family rentals on Canyon Lake. Yak fishing upriver and downriver from the lake is gorgeous and productive. There’s stocked trout below the dam! Lots of family fun in New Braunfels and San Antonio nearby, if the whole COVID thing settles down.

You might consider Port Aransas if you are open to saltwater fishing. Lots of kid friendly fun. Kayaking in bay waters. Great fishing fun. Wharf Cat charters for family fishing and nature cruises. Very affordable lodging.

Have fun in whatever you choose!
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Looking for a fishing getaway - 05/09/20 09:18 PM

If you're open to flying to Canada, I grew up fishing this lake. The last time I went with my uncles, we drove up from Ohio and dragged my bass boat. We caught an average of 75-100 smallmouth a piece per day. Not to mention the numerous walleye and pike we caught that week. My family has been going there for over 50 years and its a gorgeous lake. The Canadian exchange rate makes staying there cheap too. It's on the Bruce Peninsula in between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Tobermory is about an hour away and home to one of the deepest freshwater ports in the world...absolutely crystal clear blue water.
https://www.millersfamilycamp.com/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum