Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for a boat

Posted By: Brooks Lundgren

Looking for a boat - 05/01/20 08:01 PM

Im searching for a first time boat for the college series, and don't have loads of money. Is there actually any decent bass boats under 10,000. Anyone selling one, I am a cash buyer.
Posted By: Bobby61

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/01/20 08:12 PM

Tracker boats will be close..
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/02/20 02:45 AM

One for $12K over in the boat section that could be negotiable. Has several nice options imo.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...-elite-w-mercury-200-12-000#Post13532563
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/02/20 02:46 AM

This one is $7K and still for sale.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...uced-2000-nitro-750-nx-7000#Post13178020
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/03/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
One for $12K over in the boat section that could be negotiable. Has several nice options imo.

That Champion would be a really solid platform for you if you can swing the extra money.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 67TexasTBend
Originally Posted by bassmanrudy

That Champion would be a really solid platform for you if you can swing the extra money.

great boats

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 03:35 AM

I found a 1993 champion with a 200 mercury. do you think 9 thousand is to high for a champion that old?

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brooks Lundgren
I found a 1993 champion with a 200 mercury. do you think 9 thousand is to high for a champion that old?

depends on electronics/trolling motor/overall condition.

if it is an avg condition and electronics I would say yes, I gave 10k for my 95 202 1 1/2 yrs ago with a 95 200 xri efi. the the hull is in pristine condition and the engine runs like a top. had no electronics and a new uninstalled motor guide 80#.
I now have about 25k in it.

more info on your find and some pics would help a lot.

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 01:28 PM

shop online for what electronics and trolling motor etc you want, features that you would use just for cost comparison. compare any boat purchase to what you want for accessories and overall condition of boat/engine and what it would cost to upgrade to what you want and figure cost from there.

they are all worth what someone will pay, just depends on how well it fits what you want, champions are the best hull for rough water and are great fishing platforms.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 02:27 PM

I agree with hop on the Champion hull but they bring high prices. If you can find any "Story" hull you will have a good ride in rough water. Champ, Hawk, Cobra, and early Legends have that hull. The last three do not cost as much as a Champion in most cases.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 04:38 PM

Ranger 482

Third entry down is a Ranger with a 175 for $6800. That would leave you a little to upgrade electronics.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 04:47 PM

College series is for guys with dads with plenty of money....
That’s the reality of it. If you’re already scraping for a boat you will struggle to keep gas in your tow vehicle and boat and fix what breaks. While you are working for that coin, they’ll be pre fishing. While you fish w second rate equip praying nothing breaks they’ll have the best of the best.
My advice finish school strong then get out and fish on an even playing field. Just my .02 from a guy that worked his way through school the old fashioned way....
But good luck!

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
I agree with hop on the Champion hull but they bring high prices. If you can find any "Story" hull you will have a good ride in rough water. Champ, Hawk, Cobra, and early Legends have that hull. The last three do not cost as much as a Champion in most cases.

champ should hold resale value though if he takes care of it.

someone would have to start at 25k for my 95 202 for me to even entertain an offer, full resto and now saving for a 250xs instead of the 200 xri/efi.

[Linked Image]

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 06:23 PM

Viper starter boat---http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4sale5.htm. Cash may be king on this one if he has had it for sale long enough
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/05/20 08:26 PM

I believe I saw a nice Hawk in there last week for 10. I had that same boat for two years and it fished great.

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/06/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
I believe I saw a nice Hawk in there last week for 10. I had that same boat for two years and it fished great.

saw that one, really clean looking and a hawk is a good boat.

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/08/20 10:48 PM

Might check this out.

https://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-braunfels-bass-boat/7120885337.html
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/09/20 09:57 AM

I Have a 96 Skeeter ZX200c in great shape, PM me if interested, I'll let her go for less than what I have in the rebuilt motor and brand new lower.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/10/20 05:58 PM

It’s going to get old and expensive pretty fast putting gas and oil into a big and old 2 stroke motor. Fishing costs money. But with a 2 stroke 150-200 hp motor, it’s going to be absurdly expensive just for the fuel and oil alone on a limited budget.

Maybe consider a smaller 17’ tin or glass boat with a 60-115 hp 4 stroke or newer DFI motor. You’ll be able to fish for pennies on the dollar as much as you want to. Just means that you might need to find a tournament partner with a more ideal bass boat for the tourneys.

Good luck with that boat search and decision!!!
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 03:47 AM

I would stick with something like a pre owned newer bass tracker. Those old fiberglass boats at that price point may be unreliable and needing repairs and upgrades, those older larger motors drink loads of gas and oil. Unless you find one that is pristine and updated and are prepared to pay for gas, I don’t think an older glass bass boat would ea very good choice on a limited budget.

A more modern bass tracker or similar aluminum bass boat with a 4 cycle engine should be reliable, fuel efficient, quiet, and will likely have more modern electronics on it. There are some good deals to be had on them in the used market, and I think you could find one well within budget with room to afford upgrades and accessories for it.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by J. R.
I would stick with something like a pre owned newer bass tracker. Those old fiberglass boats at that price point may be unreliable and needing repairs and upgrades, those older larger motors drink loads of gas and oil. Unless you find one that is pristine and updated and are prepared to pay for gas, I don’t think an older glass bass boat would ea very good choice on a limited budget.

A more modern bass tracker or similar aluminum bass boat with a 4 cycle engine should be reliable, fuel efficient, quiet, and will likely have more modern electronics on it. There are some good deals to be had on them in the used market, and I think you could find one well within budget with room to afford upgrades and accessories for it.

Until the time you run aluminum in 2-4 foot rollers. Then you will wish you had a fiberglass boat.

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 03:59 AM

I feel ya. Not scraping money for a boat just seeing what's out there im using this as a practice boat. My partner has a new nice one, but it sure can get pricey. Most of the colleges now days do fundraisers all year long to pay for everyones gas, and expenses.

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 06:34 PM

go glass hull for what you want to do.

find an older champion 201 (80s-90s), 202, 204, or any of the 19' and even a 184 (80s-90s), be sure it is powered appropriately ie. rated hp and at least a 200 on the 20'.
a 184 will fish 2 pretty well, tight but doable, hull/engine are going for 3,500 to 7,000 or so depending on what is on it, 202s (best hull they ever did) can be had for 5k to 15k depending on yr. engine etc. currently they are some of the best deals on used boats out there if you go yr. to yr. comparisions, bass cats, would be another for an older hull that is good quality, faster than a champ but ride rougher. I have nothing good to say about any yr. ranger and older skeeters can be real sketchy, other brands can be found and had but rare to find one that is kept like most take care of champions.
make sure the transom is good, floor is solid and engine runs right and strong, buy it.
use what comes on it for graphs, trollin motor etc. and plan on replacing one at a time till you have what you want.

you won't find a better hull on the water for rough stuff and overall ride, will hold a resale value pretty well since they are no longer made as champion (charger and bass cat have brought some back) and you end up with what you want instead of half of what you want. keeps the price down initially and lets you decide for sure on a lot of accessories instead of binge buys.

this is how I did my last 2, both champions and now have a 202 that is exactly what I want almost, yr. and a half and another 6-8 months to go before I am done.

jmo

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 06:40 PM

Thanks for the great information! Found me a really nice champion going to get it this weekend.

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 06:49 PM

he says it is wrapped, bottom pic is boat with no wrap. just an example of what is out there. oh, it is a 204 not a 201.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/13/20 10:16 PM

wow great looking boat
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/17/20 10:46 AM

Did you find anything yet Brooks?

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/17/20 04:00 PM

Not yet, still looking

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/17/20 07:14 PM

Not yet, still looking

didn't get the champion?
Posted By: hardknocks

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/22/20 09:49 PM

If you have not found your boat yet, I have a 96 Ranger Comanche 488VS 200 HP EFI Mercury great condition Have owned since new.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/24/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by hardknocks
If you have not found your boat yet, I have a 96 Ranger Comanche 488VS 200 HP EFI Mercury great condition Have owned since new.

Hard to beat the Comanche. I ordered one from the factory in 1985 and sold it in 2017 and still solid. I was looking at Champs but storage and a stable fishing platform tips the scales towards the Ranger. My 280 lb fishing partner has made a sudden move and dang near sent me for a swim.[Linked Image]

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/24/20 02:33 AM

Shoot me a text 432-269-9163
Posted By: jamesgcross

Re: Looking for a boat - 05/27/20 11:46 PM

I have a 17 foot 1989 Lowe's 160V with a 60 HP Johnson. I want $4,200 if you want to look at it in Highland Village.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum