Texas Fishing Forum

1st time to Hawkins

Posted By: BassTK

1st time to Hawkins - 04/22/20 02:55 PM

Going to try Hawkins this weekend. First time there. Advice? What am i in for? I am used to Fork with running lanes and grass and stick ups. I also heard Hawkins is a bit more clear. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: D1988

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 04/22/20 09:37 PM

I have never fished Hawkins but I hear you should watch out for rebar in stumps.

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 04/22/20 09:48 PM

GREAT! I may rethink this one. Not worth tearing up a boat.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 04/24/20 01:33 PM

There is really only one cove (that I'm aware of) that has rebar pounded into stumps. I would recommend launching at the ramp near the Italian restaurant and then you will avoid the cove with the rebar. This ramp is on the north side of the lake. Run up to the bridge (you can see the road from the ramp). Idle form there. You can drop your trolling motor and start fishing there. I have not been up there this year yet but this north area usually has lots of grass to fish.

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 04/24/20 01:59 PM

Thanks that helps!! Be safe out there
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 04/24/20 04:12 PM

P.M. sent.
Posted By: Go-N-Slow

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 04/26/20 03:42 AM

There are like 4 ramps on this smaller lake...so I dont need to do much running up and down the lake anyway...yes it's a clearer water lake and seem to keep a constant water level..so yes lots of grass and pads on on the north and hydrilla on the south side...jerk baits poppers and frogs...I choose this lake on windy days or short days because it's a smaller lake ...we have had some good days there...biggest was 6.5lbs..we go to the north ramp where the bridge chokes the water to a narrow inlet...the ramp is right near the road so make sure to have some backing down the ramp skills..and you start fishing right there at the ramp and up to the north no need to crank the outboard...
Posted By: RandyK

Re: 1st time to Hawkins - 05/16/20 12:14 AM

The rebar is in several areas. The cove on the east side by the buoys. North of the bridge, on the west side after the first point you go around. And also north of the bridge, as you go way up north, to the creek.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum