Texas Fishing Forum

TP&W Fishing Reports

Posted By: Bilboinsa

TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/11/20 04:43 PM

(I have tried to search the forums with no luck)

On a FB fishing page someone opined that the TP&W reports are canned, that is, repeated no matter the reality. Besides ID’g the date, water level, temp, etc...I find this hard to believe. Has anyone ever seen a reliable source that this opinion is true?
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/11/20 04:46 PM

Look at the lakes that have the same exact report for 2 months.

If you know a guide who works a lake your interested in, best to contact them and get timely accurate info.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/11/20 05:19 PM

I wrote another letter to TP&W telling them we deserved better than what they are putting out. Waiting for a reply. Some of the reports are months old.
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/13/20 10:28 PM

Their employees are not spending their work hours fishing the lake, so how can they have day to day info? Honestly they should just remove that tidbit.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tanner101
Their employees are not spending their work hours fishing the lake, so how can they have day to day info? Honestly they should just remove that tidbit.

they used to use guide reports...it'd be better for them to create a "reports" forum for guides and everyday fishermen to post their catches etc.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 02:41 PM

Their reports are worthless.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tanner101

TP&W contracted the fishing reports out to a vendor. I think it is an out of state vendor.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 03:39 PM

Just throw a spinner...according to them it works on almost every lake year round. Granted they never say what type of spinner as they just list a spinner.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Just throw a spinner...according to them it works on almost every lake year round. Granted they never say what type of spinner as they just list a spinner.

I read one report the other day just to see if any changes had been made. The report said to throw a bladed spinnerbait. Anyone ever heard of a spinnerbait without a blade? The main problem is the people compiling the TPWD fishing report now know little to nothing about fishing.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/reptmap.php?EcoRegion=PL

Athens
EXCELLENT. Water clear; 65 degrees; 0.56’ high. Largemouth bass are excellent on Carolina rigged worms, chatter baits, and bladed spinnerbaits working the vegetation edges of shoreline and creeks. Crappie are excellent with minnows and jigs among natural and man-made structures and creeks. Catfish are good on cut bait. Sunfish are good on cutworms.
Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 06:38 PM

TP&W does get there info for most lakes from local marinas on said lake but who knows how accurate that report will be since all of that info is third hand. We fished a lake on Saturday that we had never been on before, the store employee at the ramp we used said that from what I have heard, everything is up shallow and throw this and this and that. Well, none of that worked but in about a hour, hour and a half, we put a pattern together and whacked out 25 bass before we were done and they were not shallow. So these are the things that you deal with when trying to get info
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/14/20 11:56 PM

Read the ones for Houston County lake. They seem like they are actually written by a human. It has always been my thought that the lady at the store writes them.
Posted By: Go-N-Slow

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/17/20 12:52 AM

The only current info I look to use from TPWD is lake levels and water temps...if ramp is inaccessible just look at TPWD lake levels and when it rises you know you can put in again....using suggested baits for the time of year and weather is better than TPWD non-updates....
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 04/17/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Read the ones for Houston County lake. They seem like they are actually written by a human. It has always been my thought that the lady at the store writes them.

Did you actually read that report?

eeks

Houston County

GOOD. Water clear to lightly stained; 73-75 degrees; 0.30’ high. Black bass are good on Junebug colored worms 2-3 feet from the surface on the south side of the dam. Some catches have occurred in 2 to 5’ of water using watermelon red weightless worms and flukes. Crappie are excellent, limiting out off the southeast points using live minnows. Catfish are good on live perch from piers, and using trotlines with 3’ to 15’ hooks in 20 feet of water for ops at 30 and 22 pounds each, and 15 blue cats from 3 to 8 pounds each using 3” perch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum