Texas Fishing Forum

99 bridge choke canyon

Posted By: harperbird

99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 03:30 AM

I have a 12 ft john boat and trolling motor. Next tuesday I was looking to go launch at 99 bridge by choke canyon. I was looking to either fish for crappie or catfish or both. I am headed down from san antonio. Any tips or info would be helpful. And is there any bait shops open on my way down there for minnows.
Thanks in advance
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 03:56 AM

You'll be fine with a jon boat in the river. The only bait shop is off of hwy 72 near the South shore boat ramp (three rivers) so you might wanna come into town then head to 99.
Posted By: harperbird

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 03:59 AM

Ty
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 04:10 AM

My dad and nephew have been doing just that the last few weeks.

Caught a 4lb cat today and multiple small ones. As well as several crappie and a few drum.

Good luck.

sb[Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 04:53 AM

Gonna have to make a big circle just for minnows.

https://www.budsbaitandtackle.com/
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 01:10 PM

Do you still have to pay to launch or is it free?
Posted By: jbtackle

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 01:49 PM

yes the launch fee is $5 per person
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 02:15 PM

Should have asked this also but is there a pay here thing or do you have to drive to Calihan?
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 03/31/20 02:34 PM

Drop box in the back of the parking lot

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/01/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
Drop box in the back of the parking lot

Not now, you have to pay online or drive alllllllll the way to Calliham! New corona rules and they are writing tickets to non-payers.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/01/20 11:46 AM

ALERT: April 1, 2020

For all Texas State Parks

You must now purchase a "Save the Day" pass online and print before you visit. Once the passes for that location are sold out for the day no more will be sold.

Here is the link:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

Debra smile
Posted By: jaymzinsa

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/06/20 08:44 PM

As an alternative, if you are having trouble finding minnows, you can get some comet goldfish at petsmart or petco; unless those stores are closed in TX or TPWD has changed the regulations for using goldfish as bait. In years gone by I caught many crappie, gaspers and bass out of choke and lake cc on goldies. Catfish, especially flatties, really love them; have caught many more cats on goldies than regular minnows though for me they don't out-catch sunfish. Just a thought. Good luck.
Posted By: Jmandel1218

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/08/20 05:17 PM

Is Choke open for boaters still? Im seeing the park, along with all other State parks, are closed as of 4/7/20. There is a note on the website that indicates Masons Point ramp is still open??

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/09/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jmandel1218
Is Choke open for boaters still? Im seeing the park, along with all other State parks, are closed as of 4/7/20. There is a note on the website that indicates Masons Point ramp is still open??

Don’t waste your time, parking lot was full and the McMullen co sheriffs office was talking about closing the ramp because so many people were going there. You will not have a place to park, i absolutely guarantee it.

And nobody buy fish at a pet shop and transport them to the lake! That’s how exotic species get introduced. bang

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/14/20 11:42 PM

Bang your head all you want, unless tpwd has changed the rules, goldfish are legal bait. People releasing pacu, snakeheads, cichlids, etc are a completely different story.

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/16/20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by jaymzinsa
Bang your head all you want, unless tpwd has changed the rules, goldfish are legal bait. People releasing pacu, snakeheads, cichlids, etc are a completely different story.

Well the rules have changed since you were here.

Re: 99 bridge choke canyon - 04/24/20 05:31 PM

Ok, if that's the case then I stand corrected. I have been in an education/spouse/work imposed exile for almost 15yrs. Caught many a fish on those comets when they were legal and didn't have time to catch my own minnows.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum