Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/16/20 12:59 PM

I ran by Squaw Creek yesterday and was met by a sign saying closed. There was no indication when they will open again.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/16/20 10:29 PM

Reason? Don't tell me it's COVID-19!!!!!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 10:41 AM

Hand sanitizer I get. Toilet paper and now this? I don’t understand: https://www.luminant.com/squaw-creek-park/
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 12:50 PM

They don't want to offend the people that don't fish!
How dare you be enjoying yourself while they have to sit at home staring at the walls.
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 02:23 PM

That's insane.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 03:39 PM

DUH!! The reason for it being closed is very obvious. The fish decided to protect themselves from all those infected human beings, so they ordered the lake closed.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 05:00 PM

Hopefully they will get some cleanup and maintenance done and open soon.
Posted By: needmofish

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 05:46 PM

Outage coming soon, bigger fish to fry so to speak.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Hopefully they will get some cleanup and maintenance done and open soon.

When is "soon"? What magic bell is going to go off telling the powers-to-be it's safe to let us play outside again?
Posted By: LOVNTREE

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/17/20 11:29 PM

ATTENTION — Due to the coronavirus outbreak, Comanche Peak nuclear power plant and it's surrounding property is currently enforcing a "no visitors" policy, which includes Squaw Creek park. The fishing program is temporarily suspended and no access to the park will be allowed.

fish

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/18/20 02:28 PM

It starts mid April , ramp up is already started.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/18/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Reason? Don't tell me it's COVID-19!!!!!

Nationwide panic due to the media.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/19/20 11:19 AM

Does Squaw get much boat traffic this time of year?

Seems as if Winter time would be their peak time
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/19/20 02:29 PM

Hate to hear that they did this. Honestly I think they have been trying to find a way to lock the gates for a while. With the cut backs they already were doing on the maintenance I was figuring it was just a matter of time.

Hopefully they aren't looking at this as a permanent thing.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/19/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Does Squaw get much boat traffic this time of year?

Seems as if Winter time would be their peak time

They normally would have lots of boats at this time of the year. There are boats on the lake all year long.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/20/20 02:03 AM

Usually not that many boats from April to October or so.
Posted By: Big C

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 03/20/20 05:56 AM

The owners of Squaw Creek have never been overly fond of people being out there. They did the same thing after 9/11.
Posted By: R Ellis

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/17/20 07:49 PM

Maybe they'll keep it closed long enough for some of the fish population to actually grow over 3-4lbs since all the tournaments have killed off the majority of good fish in the lake
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/17/20 08:25 PM

probably be another 10 years,...or I heard they may become a Private Lake, Memberships only , who knows.
Posted By: RWjr

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/18/20 02:03 AM

They should open it back up and say no tournaments

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/19/20 04:44 PM

Squaw Creek will probably not open again until people call and complain.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/19/20 06:30 PM

I feel Squaw should leave it closed through the summer, then open next year to non-tournament fishing for a year, that will give the fish a rest and allow things to get to a somewhat normal pattern.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/19/20 08:36 PM

I have always heard the argument that Squaw is privately owned and “owes” no one to remain open(or reopen). Heard this argument after 911 also. As a career firefighter(long career) in a busy DFW department I have as much respect for Homeland Security and protecting the public as anyone. When the park closed after 911 I understood. What I didn’t understand was why it remained closed for so many years(actually I believe after a certain time period it was simple economics, cheaper to stay closed than managing the park). To the argument that nothing is “owed” to the public? I will always argue that Luminant(or whoever the owners are at the time) have a contract with the public to try to operate the park for the public. Many decades ago through a very complex and litigious process permission was granted to the power company to build the plant. This permission came from many different entities: the state, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Army Corp of Engineers....and the county government in which it was built as part of the benefits package that was presented to and gained acceptance through votes from Somervell County to allow the plant to be built in the first place. The study/benefits package named many benefits. Jobs, tax revenue, revenue to local businesses......and recreation on the lake. I try to see things from multiple sides and opinions but I will always contend that whoever owns the plant at any given time has the legal obligation to try to keep the lake open to the public. That is the guise on which the plant was originally allowed to be built here in the first place. If the state is opening back up their parks Squaw Creek should follow suit...”should”. Won’t because it’s way easier and cheaper closed.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/19/20 09:47 PM

I know they lose money so I just don't think it will reopen anytime soon.. Most of the people at the ramp are contract employee's. I hope it opens but I don't my hopes to high either.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/19/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
I know they lose money so I just don't think it will reopen anytime soon.. Most of the people at the ramp are contract employee's. I hope it opens but I don't my hopes to high either.
Agreed! But I think they should be held accountable for the reasons(facts) I mention. I thought that after still being closed years after 911. The rest of the world got back on its feet and continued life but the lake remained off limited to the public. Who would hold them accountable to the promises made to the county before construction? Not me. I can’t afford to hire a lawyer just to roll the dice and make my point. I thought Somervell County should “remind” them of their promises last time they remained closed way longer than necessary. They should file suit and make them accountable. So now, like you coach: I just hope........
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/19/20 11:24 PM

How about shut the plant down and let the lake be used all year long. That 102 surface temp in the summer sux.

Re: Squaw Creek Reservoir closed until further notice - 04/20/20 02:26 AM

Might as well reach over there and flip the light switch off, if i am not mistaken Comanche Peak and STP produce around 20 to 25 of the states electricity. Give it time it will reopen. One unit went down today for a refuel , so that is drawing the most attention.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum