Texas Fishing Forum

Navionics or Lakemaster

Posted By: Jaydub

Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/24/20 01:51 PM

I just got a new boat with a Hummingbird Helix and a Minn Kota Terrova I Pilot. Which mapping software do you recommend, Navionics or Lakemaster?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/24/20 01:56 PM

lakemaster
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/24/20 03:30 PM

Not to high jack. But ...which and
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/24/20 09:47 PM

If you got the i pilot link then definitely lakemaster. You can follow contours with it. If you have a home lake it may be good to check when the last survey was done by each of them.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/25/20 12:45 PM

had both in 998 birds, liked the navionics platinum more for nav and used it at console with boatlanes (still there) and lakemaster up front for detail.

they both have their strong suits.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/25/20 01:28 PM

In Central Texas Navionics is pretty much spot on and Lakemaster is not. And if the contour lines are not accurate follow the contour is pretty much useless.
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/27/20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boomerbrewer
If you got the i pilot link then definitely lakemaster. You can follow contours with it. If you have a home lake it may be good to check when the last survey was done by each of them.

Ipilot Link won't follow the contours on Navionics maps?

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/27/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Piscivore
Originally Posted by Boomerbrewer

Ipilot Link won't follow the contours on Navionics maps?

No it won't. It will only follow the contour on Lakemaster or Autochart maps.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/27/20 02:18 PM

When will the 2020 Lakemaster be for sale?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/27/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGazoo

They usually come out some time in March
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/27/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by FishTheBite

No it won't. It will only follow the contour on Lakemaster or Autochart maps.

Thanks, that's good to know.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/28/20 01:23 PM

If they are like the Navionics chip, they should come with a one year free update. So if you buy one now, you may be able to update it in March. I purchased a Lakemaster in December and waiting for my Ultrex to be installed. I'll know if I can update it when I get my boat back. For now, it is sitting on a shelf in my home office.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/28/20 02:02 PM

No idea.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 02/28/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut

If they are like the Navionics chip, they should come with a one year free update. So if you buy one now, you may be able to update it in March. I purchased a Lakemaster in December and waiting for my Ultrex to be installed. I'll know if I can update it when I get my boat back. For now, it is sitting on a shelf in my home office.

Can't update lakemaster maps. You can purchase individual lakes instead of the entire region. Just have to look on the website to see what new lakes have been surveyed or re-surveyed for more accuracy by lakemaster themselves
Posted By: txbassman2019

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 03/03/20 11:48 AM

In Central Texas Navionics is pretty much spot on and Lakemaster is not. And if the contour lines are not accurate follow the contour is pretty much useless.

LOL this is inaccurate
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 03/03/20 01:25 PM

I have both but Lakemaster is what I use most often. Follow the contour has it quirks, but it is very handy.

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 03/03/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by txbassman2019

LOL this is inaccurate

Which part, the follow the contour comment or the Navionics vs Lakemaster?

My statement was very broad. I should say that Navionics is more accurate on the lakes that I frequent in Central Texas which would only be two, lol, Stillhouse and Buchanan. I have also been on Belton several times though not in the last year. And I have a reliable source who fishes many more lakes than I do here in Central Texas and he prefers Navionics too. I do spend a small amount of time on Georgetown simply because it's very close to my house. I have both chips, each in a different finder, so in side be side comparisons Navionics gets the nod on these lakes. Believe me I wish Lakemaster would catch up on these lakes. I am running a Terrova with link and three Humminbirds all networked and would really enjoy being able to use follow the contour, if it was accurate.

If there are lakes in Central Texas that Lake Master is more accurate please share. Choke Canyon is on this years list as well as Bastrop. Have you fished either of those and found Lakemaster to be more accurate than Navionics?
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 03/04/20 04:20 PM

FishTheBite,

I can only vouch for Conroe and T-Bend, Lakemaster is considerably more accurate for these two lakes than Navionics.

Re: Navionics or Lakemaster - 03/05/20 11:28 AM

Thanks Stickchunker. Makes sense that Lakemaster would put more effort into two of the most famous lakes in the region. I wish they would remap the lakes I’m frequenting. I’m sure that on some of the lesser publicized lakes Navionics is benefitting from there Sonarchart program that has anglers mapping water for them. For a while I was running there app on an iPad linked to a Raymarine and so I am sure I helped polish their Stillhouse chart.

An interesting idea for a thread would be for everybody who has tried both chips on the lakes they are fishing to share which is the most accurate.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum