Texas Fishing Forum

Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 08:01 PM

One of my personal goals has been to achieve a 2-pound class world record for a fish over 10 pounds from the bank. I have worked on it on and off for several years but never got a fish to the bank. I finally decided to make it happen. I figured black buffalo was my best shot, so I went to Lake Whitney to give it a try. I hooked 12 fish, over three days, that I had on the line for over 6 hours total. There have been a few battles that I will never forget. I fought a 20-plus pound black buffalo for over 45 minutes and had it four feet from the bank. I was getting ready to net the fish, and it jumped out of the water, landed on the line, and the line broke. I will never forget that fish.
After some food and water, I tried again. I lost two more fish after a 30-minute battle on each fish. Finally, after a 35-minute fight, I was able to land an 11-pound, 13-ounce black buffalo on 2-pound test line. I just received my world record certificate from the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Mission accomplished, but the 20-pounder still haunts me lol…

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 08:13 PM

eek2 WOW, congrats on the record!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 08:28 PM

Incredible. cheers
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 09:02 PM

I'm just spitballing here. Do you suppose that using a heavier 'shock' leader (maybe 2-3 feet of 10-12# test) could help avoid breakoffs cause by the fish's body hitting the line?

Have done a bit of ultralight fishing, and you have my admiration. I know how tough it is to get a fish of ANY size in on such light line.

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
I'm just spitballing here. Do you suppose that using a heavier 'shock' leader (maybe 2-3 feet of 10-12# test) could help avoid breakoffs cause by the fish's body hitting the line?

Have done a bit of ultralight fishing, and you have my admiration. I know how tough it is to get a fish of ANY size in on such light line.

Using shock leader is legal for a record, depending on the organization. I wanted to accomplish my goal with 2 pound line tied right to the hook. I used a reel full of 2 pound test. There is definitely an art to using very small test line. When bank fishing, the first issue is to find a place where the fish has room to run. Turning a hot fish on 2 pound test is not an option.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 10:34 PM

Impressive! Congrats on the record Osborn! cheers
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 10:35 PM

thumb clap
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/10/20 11:59 PM

amazing,...I've tried 4 and 6 pound crappie fishing, and I have trouble just tying the knots. Nice job. clap

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
amazing,...I've tried 4 and 6 pound crappie fishing, and I have trouble just tying the knots. Nice job. clap

Tying a knot with 2 lb. test is one of the most frustrating parts. roflmao Especially for an old guy like me.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 03:05 AM

How long did it take to land it?

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
How long did it take to land it?

It took 35 minutes to land the fish.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.

I agree, I crappie fish with 4 and jeez it’s hard to tie. Mr. Osborn you sir are awesome, congratulations
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 12:59 PM

Well done!! Especially with how strict the rules are for those "line records"!! You'll get that 20lber this year I'm sure!
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 01:13 PM

Good job! Takes a special talent to accomplish a feat like that. Something to be real proud of.
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/11/20 02:19 PM

Congratulations. Just getting the bait to the fish on 2 lb test sounds like a challenge, I can't even imagine landing an 11+ Buffalo on it.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/12/20 04:32 PM

Awesome bow_down congrats on your new world record
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/13/20 03:07 AM

Huge Congratulations! Good job catching a super fish on 2 Lb. test line! bow_down
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/13/20 09:18 PM

Would like to hear more about the rest of your setup. Rod, reel, line brand, etc?

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/14/20 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Would like to hear more about the rest of your setup. Rod, reel, line brand, etc?

The rod was a 6’6” Daiwa Laguna 8-17 line. The reel was a an Abu Winch. The line was Platypus Pre-test 2 lb. I set the drag just strong enough to prevent a backlash then thumb the spool. I have used several types of rods and reels. The hardest part is to keep your concentration at all times to keep pressure on the fish but never more than enough to break the line. Even if you do everything right, the fish will win more than you do.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Failure, then Success – 2 lb. Line World Record Black Buffalo - 02/14/20 02:41 AM

Congrats on the record Osborn!
cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum