Texas Fishing Forum

Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom

Posted By: kirbydog

Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/16/20 07:25 PM

I've been looking at the weekly fishing report put out by TPWD and for weeks now they have been reporting fishing for smallmouth bass
at Possum Kingdom as being good with fish up to 16". I was led to believe that after the golden algae blooms on the lake they have
not restocked any smallmouth in the lake.

I fish PK now and then and I've never caught a smallmouth so not sure what to believe. Anybody else catch any?
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/16/20 08:10 PM

Well your first mistake is looking at TPWD fishing reports. Pretty sure they just make chit up
Posted By: 361V

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/16/20 09:49 PM

You were led to believe correctly about smallies in PK. Don’t be led by TPWD though! laugh
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/16/20 10:07 PM

Kind of amazing they would have this false info repeated week after week.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/17/20 04:46 PM

No Smallmouth in PK. I asked the TPWD why they quit stocking them and they said they were more easily damaged by the Golden algae than other fish. That said, I think stocking them would be a good idea, as they would stay in the lake unlike the stripers that wash out if the flood gates are open.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/18/20 02:48 AM

the news you get for free is worth as much as you pay for it.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/18/20 01:12 PM

since tpwd changed the people who do the reports it has become more like comic relief, just read the fork report every week.

from nov.
Fork
FAIR TO GOOD. Water stained; 50-54 degrees; 2.03’ low. Largemouth bass are good on crankbaits in 2-8 feet of water. In Lake Fork tradition, there have been several over 10lb largemouth caught in recent weeks. White and yellow bass are fair on Alabama Rigs around timber. Crappie are fair on jigs and minnows around any structure. Catfish are fair on prepared bait and cut bait.

this past thur.
Fork
FAIR TO GOOD. Water stained; 50-54 degrees; 2.03’ low. Largemouth bass are good on crankbaits in 2-8 feet of water. In Lake Fork tradition, there have been several over 10lb largemouth caught in recent weeks. White and yellow bass are fair on Alabama Rigs around timber. Crappie are fair on jigs and minnows around any structure. Catfish are fair on prepared bait and cut bait.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/20/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
since tpwd changed the people who do the reports it has become more like comic relief, just read the fork report every week.

from nov.
Fork

this past thur.
Fork

Gubmint.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/20/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith
the news you get for free is worth as much as you pay for it.
I know what you mean but as a tax payer I don’t consider anything about TPWD “free”. laugh
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 01/21/20 04:38 PM

yes 361V, as a retired fisherman I totally resent them charging $7 to launch a boat.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Smallmouth bass in Possum Kingdom - 03/10/20 09:32 PM

There are still a few Smallmouth, in PK. I fished it most of last spring/summer months. Over several trips, I caught three total, one 15", one 14", and one 12". Proves they're still having some sort of reproduction.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum