Texas Fishing Forum

Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas

Posted By: 5Redman8

Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 03:20 PM

Looking for recommendations for guides and/or places to stay in Arkansas fir family fishing fir Brown Trout.

Going on a business trip February 27-29 and taking my wife and 5 year old son. Not looking to fly fish....looking to go catching. Live bait or artificial I do not care.

We will be near Little Rock for my conference but have flexibility to travel(prefer headed back in the direction of Texas) if needed for better fishing.

Let me hear your suggestions.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 03:40 PM

Gastons White River Resort. You'll catch plenty of rainbows with an occasional brown mixed in. I've never used a guide as it's fairly straightforward (and somewhat easy) to catch fish on your own but I've seen plenty on the water with clients. Great resort for the family. Comfortable cabins right on the water. Boat rentals. Decent restaurant.

Unfortunately in opposite direction of Texas from Little Rock.
Posted By: 01Lightning

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Looking for recommendations for guides and/or places to stay in Arkansas fir family fishing fir Brown Trout.

Going on a business trip February 27-29 and taking my wife and 5 year old son. Not looking to fly fish....looking to go catching. Live bait or artificial I do not care.

We will be near Little Rock for my conference but have flexibility to travel(prefer headed back in the direction of Texas) if needed for better fishing.

Let me hear your suggestions.

little red river, only 1 hour outside of Little Rock. I was there for a number of years for Medical School and for fellowship. You can thank me later. If you want to know more, feel free to PM me.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 06:14 PM

second white river, spinning rod and yellow coachdog roostertail will catch them all, browns in colorado love it.

get 1/8 and 1/4 oz. best spinning lure I every used for trout.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Wor...fAntEAQYASABEgK0Q_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 06:15 PM

for a family trip go to white river and get a guide with a dory, should be a great trip if the weather is right.

[img]http://https://www.flyflinger.com/history.php[/img]
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 07:18 PM

If you're in Little Rock, the Lil Red is going to be closest to you. Look up Fire Fly Cabins in Heber Springs. They should still have boat rentals too. (Used to be Swinging Bridge Resort) You can basically fish from the bridge all the way up to Jons Pocket. I cut my teeth fishing on this river til I was a 13 and moved to Texas. My pb Brown out of there is 13 lbs., but the river has them all the way up to 40 lbs. Lots of Rainbows too. If you go, shoot me a PM. Kids can catch a lot of fish there!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 10:17 PM

Little Red River Brown Trout: [Linked Image]

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/14/20 11:03 PM

[Linked Image]

This was one my Nephew caught with me in 2018.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 01:55 AM

Good info
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 02:03 AM

Thanks a ton guys.

Gonna look at getting a cabin.

Is there any reason to try live bait(if legal)?

Cut bait?

Deep pools? Rapids? Slack water?
Posted By: blondie

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 02:57 AM

I second the Little Red River at Heber Springs. I have stayed at the Fire Fly Cabins as well and they are really nice plus walk straight down to the river. Catch all the rainbows you want there at the swinging bridge. There are several outfitters there at Heber Springs.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
[Linked Image]

I hope that fish made it back in the river. If not, which is what it looks like, it’s a damn shame.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 02:32 PM

Another vote for little red river. Growing up we made 2 or 3 trips a year. My parents retired and moved to Heber Springs in 92. Lot of good memories there. We always stayed at Red River trout dock

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
[Linked Image]

I hope that fish made it back in the river. If not, which is what it looks like, it’s a damn shame.

It did. I have a livewell in my boat, but use the cooler for keepers. My phone and my Cousins both died that day. So we took the fish back to camp and took some pics and drove it back down to the ramp.

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Thanks a ton guys.

Gonna look at getting a cabin.

Is there any reason to try live bait(if legal)?

Cut bait?

Deep pools? Rapids? Slack water?

Look for deep pockets just below shoals. When I say deep, it may only be like 5 ft. but you cant see bottom. We always use nightcrawlers with a small marshmellow. We also use Mealworms. Both are very good. If the start generating and running water, get parallel to the bank and drift down throwing #7 countdown Rapalas in gold/black. You should whack em!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
[Linked Image]

It did. I have a livewell in my boat, but use the cooler for keepers. My phone and my Cousins both died that day. So we took the fish back to camp and took some pics and drove it back down to the ramp.

That is great man, job well done. That is a brood fish that needs to stay in the gene pool. Thanks for letting me know. That is a big time move as any fish that big needs to be catch and release.

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/15/20 03:52 PM

There's a slot on that river for Browns too. That also helps with reproduction and the spawn.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/16/20 12:53 PM

I vote for the White River. See this post. https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...0080/great-day-on-the-white#Post13180080
If interested PM me and I'll give you all the info. Guides name and number and VRBO house we've stayed at on the river. You can fish right in the back yard. Right down the road from Gaston's. Beautiful place to visit.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Brown Trout Fishing Recommendations Arkansas - 01/16/20 03:05 PM

I would suggest Cotter Trout Dock. Several trips available.
If ya just go for a day get the shore lunch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum