Texas Fishing Forum

Best line for spinning reel..

Posted By: old fisherman

Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 01:41 PM

What is the best 10 lb mono and flouro lines for spinning reels??? Line twist seems to be a problem on some brands..
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 01:48 PM

all lines will twist on a spinning reel, just the way they work.

I use big game 10# on mine, one has 30# braid.

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 02:04 PM

Thanks.. I am looking to fish more with spinning reels.. Mostly open face now..
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 02:21 PM

try 15 or 20 lb. "slick" lines like P-Line TC8 or Power Pro Super Slick 8 married to a fluoro leader like Seaguar Red Label 8 or 10 lb. Cut off 10 feet of fluoro and tie the Lefty Krey knot. Can't go wrong.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 02:36 PM

I use braid with a fluoro leader on my catfish rods, and Original Stren Clear Blue mono in my ultra lite rods. They all twist, so be careful when rigging to reduce to twist to a minimum. When the twist gets noticeable, I cut off all terminal tackle and let the line out behind the boat and get the twist out while idling across the lake.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 02:38 PM

The line twist comes from how the line is spooled on the reel. Search YouTube for some suggestions on what works best and you'll get better results.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
try 15 or 20 lb. "slick" lines like P-Line TC8 or Power Pro Super Slick 8 married to a fluoro leader like Seaguar Red Label 8 or 10 lb. Cut off 10 feet of fluoro and tie the Lefty Krey knot. Can't go wrong.

What he said,....
fish
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 05:35 PM

Power pro for me. Best? Dunno. Good enough.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by old fisherman
What is the best 10 lb mono and flouro lines for spinning reels??? Line twist seems to be a problem on some brands..

P-Line CX (not CXX) premium is a copolymer/fluoro coated line. it is smaller in diameter, stronger than most in heavier sizes and has almost zero memory in that size. the 8# is smaller diameter and stronger than most others 10-12# line. comes in different colors as well, some hi vis fluourescent.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 11:36 PM

Another thing to watch out for is putting on too much line. This will cause twists, bird nests, and other assorted grief.
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/11/20 11:45 PM

I use P-line on all of my reels, but it will twist on spincast too.

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/12/20 12:19 AM

also always close the bail by hand, never "reel" it closed.
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/12/20 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S

I've heard this before, but can't see how it makes a difference. Can you explain?
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/12/20 06:03 PM

You asked for mono and flouro. I have sworn off flouro on my spinners. Way too much memory. I prefer braid or light mono—i.e., 10# Trilene

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/12/20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred

I've heard this before, but can't see how it makes a difference. Can you explain?

if you use the handle it swings the roller guide to casting(trigger finger) position twisting the line as it turns the bail before it closes. does that make sense?
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/13/20 12:56 AM

Start with making sure the line is laid on the reel correctly as others have said, and I have had good luck with Yo Zuri Hybrid....also a few squirts of line conditioner helps as well IMO
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/13/20 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by old fisherman

Ok, and you are correct. In my experience, (using spinners only last twenty years or so), the best things you can do is: first, Purchase decent spinners. There are many cheap spinners available, avoid them. Second, learn to spool the reel correctly. Spinners load differently from open faced type reels. Third, buy quality line (basically, stay off the cheap line shelf). Fourth, close the bail with your hand. Fifth, loosen your drag, and make minor depth adjustments by pulling the line out by hand rather than opening the bail to letout more line.

PS. Make sure the line size (diameter) is correct for the size of reel you are using.

Hope this information helps.

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/13/20 02:19 PM

Wow, great info guys... I think this will help me a lot.. Thanks for your input.. Tight lines..
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 01/14/20 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by JAlfred

if you use the handle it swings the roller guide to casting(trigger finger) position twisting the line as it turns the bail before it closes. does that make sense?

Hard to picture, but will give it a try next time I go fishing. Thanks for the response.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/15/20 01:08 AM

Just use Braid and end your problems.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/15/20 05:10 PM

Trilene XL for 8-12 lb mono. Crank your drag down and leave reel in back-reel mode, takes a little time to learn but gives YOU more control in the fight and I think may reduce twists. Use line conditioner and when idling from spot to spot let your lure-free line out behind the boat to take out twists. That’s my 2 cents. cool
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/15/20 08:27 PM

Stren Original Clear Blue.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/17/20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by RZ520
Just use Braid and end your problems.

+1 Braid doesn't have any memory so it will not curl on the reel.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/21/20 03:23 AM

On spinners using 10 pound test or less I like Nanofil. Due to it having a bit less abrasion resistance than mono I use a 6 foot leader of mono or fluorocarbon tied directly with a double uni-knot. Nothing casts as smoothly or as far as Nanofil. Also has low stretch like braid.
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/22/20 11:05 PM

nanofil 17lb dark green is on all my reels (okuma spinning). i always cast directly overhand, which seems to eliminate twisting for me. i noticed with most lines if i cast sidearm i can run into a real mess.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/24/20 04:00 AM

Sufix. No memory strong as hogs breath.
Posted By: JDS210

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/25/20 02:55 PM

It not the optimal situation for being ready to fish but the best way I have found to remove line twist is to remove the lure and let all the line out behind the boat while idling. Then real it in and retie the lure and all is gone.
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/26/20 01:19 AM

I settled on PLine 12# coated. Doesn't break as much as 8 or 10. Main thing is to make sure your bait untwists between casts.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/28/20 03:53 AM

I use power pro braid & KVD line conditioner.

But memory is going to bite you from time to time.

Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 03/28/20 02:37 PM

Look up a Youtube video made by "Richard Gene Fishing Machine" that deals with spooling a spinning reel with mono and how to take most of the twist out of mono by soaking it in water prior to spooling

He has about 25 videos. Some of them are pretty informative.

One on how to tie a "loop knot" on a crappie jig is good. Watch the whole thing because he has another tip at the end that works well to keep soft plastics from pulling off the jig head.

Wayne
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 04/04/20 03:41 PM

I’ve used Stren Magnathin for many years with no real problems twist. If your using a spinner it’s essential that your swivel operates properly. Poorly made cheap swivels and small amounts of weeds accumulated on a good swivel will cause twist..
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 04/04/20 10:20 PM

Berkley Trilene XL and whatever 100% fluoro is on sale for the leader. In addition to all the aforementioned advice regarding spooling, spinners and the bail, be careful not to reel when a fish is pulling line off the spool. You can eliminate line twist if fishing near a current - connect a float to line, cast into current, leave bail open and let water pull line off reel as much as needed.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Best line for spinning reel.. - 04/05/20 06:26 PM

Like others have said, make sure the line is seated correctly coming off the spool. Very important the line come from the bottom of the spool for spinning reels and top of the real for baitcasters. This will help you get off to amcorrect start. I like 20lb nano myself and have very little issues with it and love how well it casts.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum