Fishing rods. - 01/06/20 04:23 PM

What rods do you guys use?
I was using McCain and they’re gone.
I’m leaning towards these:
Falcon
Powell
Dobyns
Maybe tfo
Just would like some input on some of these brands thanks!
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/06/20 05:41 PM

I’m using Falcon and TFO mainly on my new rods. I like both of them and having good luck with both. I did break a TFO and they replaced it promptly. I had a Falcon break on hook set first outing they to replaced with no issue. Kinda think it was damaged in shipping. Box was a little bent but rod looked ok... I got some old favorites that I still use too.
Posted By: Bdpeelgren

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 12:22 AM

Using Dobyns, Shimano, and some Johnny Morris Rods.
When it comes to the higher end rods I don’t think there is a wrong choice. It’s all personal preference. Except for duckett rods. I couldn’t be paid to use them.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 12:43 AM

Forget brands.

Does it feel good in your hand?
Are you comfortable with the price?
What is the warranty?
How easy or hard will it be to replace and who will take responsibility? Where you bought it or the manufacturer?

Satisfy yourself with all of these questions and you have found your rod.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 12:48 AM

Figure our your budget then check out rods in that price range. If they feel comfortable and they are the action you like go for it.
Posted By: Mr. Skeeter

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 01:29 AM

Price isn’t a problem, but I’m not shooting for g loom is rods lol.
I’ve used falcon before and liked them but the Powell, dobyns peak my interest
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Skeeter
Price isn’t a problem, but I’m not shooting for g loom is rods lol.
I’ve used falcon before and liked them but the Powell, dobyns peak my interest

Kind of a contradictory statement and GLoomis rods start at only $200
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 03:26 AM

I've been using GLoomis rods for the last few years, from E6Xs to NRXs, and while the E6X at $200 is great for reaction baits, there's better rods for bottom contact baits for the money, IMHO. For a $200 rod, I'd go with a Shimano Zodias. I also have a couple Shimano Exprides, and at $270 I think they're the equal of my GLoomis IMX-Pro rods that are $75 more. And maybe as good as a GLX which is around $150 more.

I also really like the Dobyns Fury and Sierra rods. I haven't fished with any higher end Dobyns but I bet they're excellent sticks.

Before I went with GLoomis, I fished Falcon rods for probably 35 years, and I loved them. I still have 21 Falcon originals, Caras, LowRiders, Coastals, and Experts that I keep meaning to sell but just can't bear to part with. They still fish great, of course.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 11:46 AM

I use primarily St Croix and Dobyns rods. So many choices between the 2 (both in price and selection). Dobyns is now based in Texas so depending upon where you are could visit the factory?
Posted By: Mr. Skeeter

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/07/20 12:48 PM

Where at in Texas? I did not know that

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/09/20 01:44 AM

Looks like they have set up shop in Sulphur Springs!
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/09/20 04:04 AM

I was using McCain as well. I did hear that the same people will be starting a new company this year based out of college station as well.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/09/20 02:49 PM

Bass Pro carbon lites
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/09/20 03:01 PM

I like the Dobyns rods. Started with the Fury and tried a Champion and replaced all my Fury's with Champions and then tried the Extreme Champion series. Now have all Extreme Series. Takes a while to build up a good line up on a budget but I have nothing but Time LOL.

I have used most all of the major brands over the years and Dobyns can hold their own against any of them. With that said to each their own.

Jody
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/13/20 01:46 AM

Have been replacing all my Falcons with Castaway skeletons and Skeleton nano. I stop by their shop on occasion in Houston.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/13/20 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
I use primarily St Croix and Dobyns rods. So many choices between the 2 (both in price and selection). Dobyns is now based in Texas so depending upon where you are could visit the factory?

How? Every Dobyns I've seen says "Made in China."

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/13/20 02:37 AM

Gary Dobyns moved his company this past year to Texas from California as taxes(and other things) were getting so outrageous. As for the made in china part I'd have to go check my rods and look so not sure.
Posted By: Big C

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/20/20 03:25 AM

At the end of the day, it's just what you can afford that feels right for the type of fishing that your do. There aren't too many rod brands that I haven't used over the decades. IMO, you have to approach it from, "At any price point, where is my best value. I have Dobyns, NRX's, Steez, St. Croix, Castaways, etc, I even have some of the OLD (like 25 years ago) All-Star rods. If you go to YouTube and look for "Tactical Bassin", he has a few videos on rods and reels at different price points and explains why he likes one over the other. He says that he tends to like using higher end tackle just because after all day of fishing, he doesn't even know its there. That has been my experience as well.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/20/20 12:05 PM

switched to almost all tfo rods, great customer service when I broke one. emailed a pic of broken one and had a new one in about 4 days. told them I got it at the legend of fork (discounted to 60.00) and that did not matter.
any company that stands behind their product like that I will do business with.
rods are great, 7'3" heavy (3) is my favorite on fork for t rig/c rig, deep cranks etc.
med hvy work great for lipless, bladed jigs, spinners etc.
I have 8-10 now.

also switching to lews reels as I can afford it.
Posted By: TxNitro288

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/28/20 02:47 AM

When I upgraded I went to Falcon, no issues but then bought a TFO a number of years ago and I have bought nothing since. I have used their warranty only once and it was easy. In fact in the last 2 weeks I just bought 3 new TFO's
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/28/20 03:29 AM

Shakespeare Ugly Stick! thumb

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/28/20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Probably more fish caught on an Ugly Stick than all the rest of them put together! roflmao
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Fishing rods. - 01/28/20 04:24 PM

TFO or ALX
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/07/20 05:26 PM

TFO and ALX are quality options that won’t break the bank
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/07/20 08:10 PM

Build your own, fish what you like for less money and more pride.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/08/20 03:37 AM

i love my TFO
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/08/20 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by psycho0819
Build your own, fish what you like for less money and more pride.

I can’t build them, but I have Bubba’s Custom Rodz (903)754-4731 build them for me! Much better rods for the money than store brands and I can get EXACTLY what I want.
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/08/20 04:26 PM

good morning,

Sixgill has a buy one, get one sale on now. very nice rods!! great people work there and quick shipping.

good luck.
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/14/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by herbsteiner

Probably more fish caught on an Ugly Stick than all the rest of them put together! roflmao

This. cheers A no BS, all bidness, tough, tool.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/14/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02

I'm tough on rods, and switched over to uglies a few years ago and haven't broken one since.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/14/20 07:13 PM

I’ve been using ALX for couple of years and they make a great product with different price points. Very recently I bought 3 Kistler KLX rods and I’ll tell you my 1 and only experience (only been on water once since) is 110% positive. Plus they’re made in Texas and the owner Trey is right there and more than willing to talk to you about your needs via phone/email or in person. He also has multiple price points. I can’t say enough good about my experience with Kistler rods.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/20/20 04:12 PM

I'm no a brand loyalist, but for the money I like Powell Rods (under $150)
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/22/20 01:13 AM

I have purchased a few of the Dobyns on the forum. Love the feel, weight and balance. They have tons of back bone and never have an issue turning a fish. I find them to be a great value.

Z
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Fishing rods. - 02/22/20 01:16 AM

i got rid of almost everything, retaining my 4 falcon boocoo med med 7' rods, with okuma spinning reels on 'em all. also kept a 7' academy rod. $59. i like blue. lol.
Posted By: RayCraftman

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/05/20 07:02 PM

I'm new at using a Spinning Reel so I need advice on what rod to use not the brand. I'm thinking about a 6 are 7 ft. one piece medium heavy. Will this work with any where from a 15 to 30 lbs Catfish are any other fish that size. This will be for fresh water..
I have more reels most are the Push button and a few baitcasting which I never could get used too. I learnt some new cuss words with them backlashing.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/15/20 12:50 AM

Daiwa.

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/18/20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by RayCraftman
I'm new at using a Spinning Reel so I need advice on what rod to use not the brand. I'm thinking about a 6 are 7 ft. one piece medium heavy. Will this work with any where from a 15 to 30 lbs Catfish are any other fish that size. This will be for fresh water..
I have more reels most are the Push button and a few baitcasting which I never could get used too. I learnt some new cuss words with them backlashing.

For a 30lb catfish I'd go with an extra heavy power rod. I think that a medium heavy rod designed for bass fishing isn't up to the task for a fish like that. Ain't no 30lb bass, and precious few 15 pounders. I'd go with a 7'6" rod with a heavy or extra heavy action. And a suitable spinning reel to handle 65lb braid.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/18/20 11:27 PM

Power Tackle
Powell
Kistler
Shimano
Dobyns
Duckett
Falcon
Majorcraft
Daiwa
Loomis
FXreme
Megabass
Reel Time
Low Down Custom
and several other custom rods.

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/18/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02

Yes it is a tough rod but it lacks a ton of sensitivity. Fine for fishing for cat fish.

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/18/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by bassmanrudy

How? Every Dobyns I've seen says "Made in China."

The distribution center (warehouse) is in Sulfur Springs. They are not made there.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/21/20 01:25 PM

I purchased a 6'10" Daiwa Tatula rod off TFF in pristine condition and it is the best rod I've ever used after using Falcon for years. If there was 10 more years of fishing in my future that's all I'd have paired with Daiwa Tatula reels.
Posted By: regularguy11B

Re: Fishing rods. - 03/24/20 03:28 AM

I like Ugly Stick GX2 and the 10' Tica Libra. Both of these rods have solid stainless steel guides, so they don't chip inside, and are very durable. The 10' Tica Libras are great rods for the long cast, and for a 10' rod they are pretty light and handle really well. Plenty of backbone for slinging a long way. Not a "heaver" though, I normally use no heavier than 3 ounces of lead and that will be with cut bait or smaller live sunfish.

I fished with ugly sticks for a long time but since the GX2 came out I stopped buying any rods that don't have solid steel guides with no ceramic lining or whatever. That stuff inevitably chips with hard use.

I used Falcon alot growing up and some other high dollar stuff, but I kind of grew out of high dollar rods as I grew out of being a "bass angler". Falcon rods are (or were at least) great rods though.

I mostly just bank fish with live or cut bait now, and some days just use zebco 202's or etc. just for the fun of it. I would imagine there are better choices than Tica Libra or Ugly Stick for slinging lures all day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum