Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody throw blade baits

Posted By: kirbydog

Anybody throw blade baits - 11/05/19 09:49 PM

This is my go to bait when the water gets cold. Have had very good luck with them but I don't see many posts about
blade baits. They will catch anything that swims-bass, stripers, white bass, catfish-anything that will eat shad and smaller fish.

They do tend to get hung up and that can be frustrating but have always produced for me. Especially good in cold water and when fishing deep-
the hook-up ratio is not the best and I often change out hooks for bigger ones (which makes it hang up even more smile ). I throw everything from 1/4 oz
up to 1/2 oz and even 3/4. Fun way to fish and you can cover lots of water fast.

Lots of guys fish them vertical but I prefer to cast them out and do a lift/drop along the bottom back to the boat.

Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Anybody throw blade baits - 11/06/19 02:05 AM

When I was doing a lot of bass fishing I used them. They worked better for me vertically or with short casts, where I could work them more slowly, in the winter when the water was cold. I used them in the summer the way you describe; a pumping retrieve would often work well. I would switch the trebles out for larger short-shank single hooks. Fewer hangups and better hookup / landing ratios.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Anybody throw blade baits - 11/06/19 02:41 AM

I fish the gay blades every trip, they work
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Anybody throw blade baits - 11/06/19 10:43 PM

Love a chatterbait!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Anybody throw blade baits - 11/07/19 01:39 AM

Yep! Produces great for me.. mainly late spring.. Sandy candy thumb
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Anybody throw blade baits - 11/10/19 02:23 AM

yep. Seem to work better in cold water. With the brand I use I catch a bunch of different fish. Good for white bass and stocked winter trout. Even caught some nice channel cats on them. I fish them from the bank and retrieve like a crank bait.
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: Anybody throw blade baits - 11/10/19 06:23 PM

I throw blade baits a ton, and have to agree with them getting hung up a lot...but I figured out a way to limit the snags and still keep the hookup ration good.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum