Texas Fishing Forum

Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water

Posted By: Stump jumper

Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 05:11 PM

My neighbor just lost his grip and threw his best ultralight rod and reel out of his hand. That was problem number 1. Number 2 was he snagged the marker bouy that I threw out right where the rod went in and moved it. I locked in the GPS coordinates. Another problem is it is only a 5' rod and the bail is open. We threw some slabs and dragged the bottom recovering all kinds of carp except the rod. I went back with some larger striper slabs and no luck. I even threw my cast net for while. Anyone have any better ideas? The bottom is clean as far as snags go.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 05:15 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
[Linked Image]

roflmao

Other than this idea, I think the cast net idea would probably work best.

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
[Linked Image]

not me in 25'. 10' yes
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 05:29 PM

3 ounce barrel weight and a large treble hook.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 05:54 PM

metal stringer, open all hooks on it, tie about 8 oz. of weight to end with all the hooks and rope to other end (3/8" works good).

start dragging

should be able to use down image to find the rod. cheers

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 06:33 PM

Yeah I told my neighbor about downscan and he snickered.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 07:51 PM

whats it worth,..?? just be careful. thumb
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 07:55 PM

remove hooks from Alabama rig the bend end of wires backwards and drag it
Posted By: machinist

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
metal stringer, open all hooks on it, tie about 8 oz. of weight to end with all the hooks and rope to other end (3/8" works good).

start dragging

thumb cheers
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 08:25 PM

Fishing magnet

[Linked Image]
Posted By: COFF

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 08:26 PM

I foresee a trip to Academy in your future. I've never had any luck finding a dropped rig, except the time when I jumped in right after and waded around in about 5' of water until my toe dragged across the line. And just FYI - 70* water temp in the springtime is an awfully cold way to start your day on the lake.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/21/19 09:04 PM

Time to find a new favorite rod and reel....
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/22/19 02:33 AM

some small trot line cord and a break shoe off an auto.
Posted By: ML56

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/22/19 03:53 AM

I've retrieved 4 or 5 with a 2 oz wt and a trailer behind it about 4' long with multiple treble hooks on it. Reel very slow and fan cast across the entire area. If bail is open and you snag the line, just pray the knot on the spool was tied good. Rod will be at the end of the line, take a camera and get a shot of person retrieving rod as it comes above water.
Fishing bud and I have enjoyed and laughed about that picture for many decades. Good luck fishing thumb

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/22/19 05:50 PM

I have had luck with retrieving a couple. We would have gotten this one if neighbor had not caught the marker. That was stupid.I would have been pissed if it was my rod. Buddy of mine caught a Lew's 7-1/2' telescoping speed stick on Texoma that had 1/2 of a good size gizzard shad on one end. He caught the line and starting pulling it in. He was going to give up and throw it back but I convinced him to keep pulling. There was a line of guide boat just to our and I figured one of them lost it. 2 summers ago on Texoma I was drifting a 10" gizzard near Mac creek and put my rod in the holder and accidetnly engaged the spool. We all heard a loud pop and were WTH was that. I saw my rod and holder go flying out of the boat. I was right there when it hit the water and almost went in after it. Reel was a real loss because it was a 5600CA with clicker and they don't make them any longer. I would have liked to have seen that fish.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/22/19 05:55 PM

That's a tough one. Catching the line is probably your best bet but if you tried with a spoon and didn't get it, then the line may not be out of the reel as far as you think. Also in 25' of water the rod can "sail" a long way on the way down to the bottom. At some point you have to weigh the cost of the rod and reel against the lost fishing time trying to find it. Oh and as an encouragement, many of us have been there...
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/22/19 06:04 PM

Maybe a fish took the bait on the rod and drug it off. I caught a Duckett rod with a Lews bb1 reel once while deep cranking someone had lost. Good luck!

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 10/28/19 03:16 PM

Dragged until I lost the rig. Not sure if the high water in May/June would have moved it. Also it is a popular fishing area someone may have snagged it.
Posted By: RandyK

Re: Rod/reel retrieval in 25' of water - 11/10/19 07:43 PM

Coat hanger in shape of a V. A treble hook on both ends, filed down so they are not sharp. Also add a weight to both ends. It worked for me on fork in 30 ft water.
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum