Texas Fishing Forum

Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook

Posted By: SenkoSam

Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/02/19 08:41 PM

Years ago I read or heard about the advantage of using two split rings on a crankbait's rear treble hook. I just started trolling crankbaits for when the bite is tough and for some reason catch some quality fish especially in water 8' or less in lakes that aren't much deeper than 12' during late summer's slow transition to fall.

The reason for the double split ring is so fish don't have the leverage to unhook themselves especially when jumping out of the water. IT DEFINITELY WORKS ! As long as the hook set it good, they don't come unhooked especially when using zero stretch braid which allows that leverage.

Man do I hate it when a nice fish jumps and is gone!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/02/19 11:29 PM

Thanks for the tip Sam. Now try the front hook and leave the back hook with only one. The rocking of the hook provides sound and leaves a track cutting into the crank bait. Over time this sound and screech of the cutting gets louder. The results is bigger fish.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/02/19 11:43 PM

Nice post! Thanks for sharing. thumb
Posted By: pop r

Re: Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/05/19 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info. thumb
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/06/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
Thanks for the tip Sam. Now try the front hook and leave the back hook with only one. The rocking of the hook provides sound and leaves a track cutting into the crank bait. Over time this sound and screech of the cutting gets louder. The results is bigger fish.

Wondering if one hook will catch the other.
With crankbaits, are fish usually caught on the front hook, back hook or both ?
Posted By: boocat

Re: Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/07/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Originally Posted by Donald Harper

Wondering if one hook will catch the other.
With crankbaits, are fish usually caught on the front hook, back hook or both ?

yep. maybe hooks get tangled a little more often on the cast.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Using two split rings to attach a crankbait's rear treble hook - 10/07/19 01:46 PM

I use the short shank KVD hooks. Haven't had that problem on medium to large cranks. Small 1.5 SB cranks is a yes; but not often.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum