Texas Fishing Forum

Big Sam help

Posted By: Hogdaddy

Big Sam help - 09/27/19 05:50 PM

My Nephew is coming in from Iowa to go fishing and I would like to take him to Big Sam. He will be here November the 8th and we will travel down that night for fishing on Saturday and Sunday. My problem is I have only fished it once several years ago and need some help on where to fish at that time of the year. I'm just an old fart wanting to put the young man on some fish and have no intention of stealing any information. Can someone be so kind as to lend a little help? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Big Sam help - 09/27/19 07:19 PM

I've had the privilege of fishing it 4 times, 3 for BBS AKA McDonald, and another fund raiser tournament. I tried asking like you, but people are tight lipped, so I just bought a map and went for it. Caught alot of fish, just no big ones. Good luck.

Re: Big Sam help - 09/27/19 11:16 PM

Thanks man......I was afraid of that, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Big Sam help - 09/28/19 03:37 AM

Man I live on Rayburn. That’s a great time of year to come! All the part time fishermen are in the woods and the bass are feeding up! Great times. Just have to watch the weather! Wind is a big issue on Rayburn! Cold fronts sucking the wind out of the south one day and a 30 mph north west the next. Very dangerous lake! But you can watch the weather and launch in a area that will be protected and still have a great day. Shad are thing. So target the areas that bass will stack up to ambush the bait. Points in coves and tree lines. It’s a huge lake.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Big Sam help - 10/01/19 12:43 PM

Traps become a a goto bait around that time of year, agree find shad on your electronics.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Big Sam help - 10/02/19 12:54 PM

Have you checked out the Facebook page Sam Rayburn Fishing Reports?

There are a couple guys who share (almost if not daily) what they are catching and what they are catching them on. fish
Posted By: WhiskyFire

Re: Big Sam help - 10/05/19 09:55 AM

YouTube Ken Smith, he puts up some of the best help videos for this lake I have ever watched for any lake.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Big Sam help - 10/06/19 01:13 AM

which area of the lake will you be staying at?

Five fingers area, up Ayish arm and Buck have been decent for me lately.
The water should have cooled down by then so look for baitfish.
Pitching brush and grass should still be productive as well.

Re: Big Sam help - 10/09/19 05:13 PM

Hey skeeter, we are staying mid-lake in the Broaddus area
Posted By: Walls

Re: Big Sam help - 10/09/19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hogdaddy
Hey skeeter, we are staying mid-lake in the Broaddus area

A lot of great fishing in that area, but moving around the lake will be dependent on the wind. Shoot me a pm the week before you come down and I'll pass along anything I can.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Big Sam help - 10/17/19 04:43 PM

There's not a lot of hydrilla since the flooding early in the year so if you do find some it will probably be holding fish. The lake is 2.67 ft low and rising a little since the rain. I prefer fishing off shore and that's where I'll be fishing on Rayburn next weekend. Veach is a good place to start and has some scattered hydrilla.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum