Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent?

Posted By: Riverrat9

Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 03:17 AM

First off I am not renting my house (yet). Trying to see if there would be any interest. I have a fishing house or cabin on the Nueces River a few miles up river from Lake Mathis.

If I were to do the Air B&B thing where would I post of TFF?

What would a good price range be? The cabin is valued at around 110k. It's old but has plenty of sleeping space. A new queen bed and bunk beds etc. Right now we only have an old pontoon boat as the fishing dock. I figure there may be some white bass, crappie, or cat fishing guys that would like to rent a place like this. Where does everyone stay when fishing?
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 01:17 PM

Describe the house like you were listing it for sale:
Sq ft of house, Bedrooms (with number and size of beds), bathrooms, size of lot, how many cars can park.
Is there water or power at the 'dock'
Fire pit, BBQ/grill?
Nearest ramp access to river or lake?

Is there any HOA issues with renting?
How much liability insurance are you going to need?

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 01:53 PM

Right now I'm just seeing if fishermen look for places like this to rent or if they just fish close to home mainly.

But here are some details and pictures. Obviously if I Air B&B it I'll just post that link.

It's about 600 sq/ft downstairs and 600 sq/ft upstairs. Upstairs is two bedrooms. One has a queen bed (new) and one has new bunk beds and a futon. Downstairs is mainly seating but when my family stays there someone usually decides to sleep on either the couch or futon down there.

Water and power are at the "dock" (pontoon boat). Usually pretty easy to catch whites and crappie off the dock. Usually easy to catch shad off the dock also for bait.

There is a fire pit. Not really a good BBQ/grill yet. We put a grate over the fire pit to cook.
Boat ramp is 1/4 mile on my street. It's pretty small but can launch a 18' Bass Tracker easily so can launch probably up to a 22' boat unless water is low.

No HOA - It's pretty trashy around since no one cleaned off their old houses after the floods years ago. Nothing I can do about that.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 02:03 PM

We are in the process of cleaning it up etc.. Here's how it looks right now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And a few fishing pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 03:08 PM

That looks like something my friends and I would enjoy. Where exactly is it? We try to get together for hunting/fishing/floating a couple times a year.
I'm familiar with the Nueces up in the Uvalde area.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 03:11 PM

It's a few miles away from George West and above Lake Mathis (AKA Lake Corpus).
Posted By: silvers

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 04:46 PM

i would be very interested
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/24/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by silvers
i would be very interested

+1
Posted By: BMART

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/25/19 02:59 PM

+1
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/25/19 07:09 PM

Looks like a great place for some kayak fishing!!

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/25/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Looks like a great place for some kayak fishing!!

Sure is.

We are trying to get the listing going. I'll post a link here once active looking for opinions etc. May give a 20% discount to the first few visitors. The best fishing times are Nov-April Nov-Jan can be great but weather can mess things up. You know the ol Texas cold front that lasts 2 days LOL

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/26/19 02:35 AM

Please give opinions about the new listing.

Nueces River Retreat

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/26/19 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Riverrat9
Please give opinions about the new listing.

Nueces River Retreat

It looks like a very reasonable listing. I checked VRBO and there is nothing listed that far up the river so you may get some good interest. You are in line with listings located on Lake Corpus Christi. I would replace the top center picture of the house with a picture of your waterfront access, especially if you have a dock people can fish from. Let us know how it works out.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/26/19 12:14 PM

We rent our house on Rayburn, we only do it through facebook though. Air B&B can be expensive, the biggest issue with renting is getting it cleaned, you need to know or find someone you can trust.

Looks like your place is priced reasonable.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 09/30/19 01:12 PM

The house will be ready to rent in 2 weeks. Where should I advertise to get some fishermen to rent the house and do some fishing?

Is it ok to post in the catfishing section something like ... Anyone looking for a river house to stay in while catfishing the river?
Seems like this board doesn't get many views compared to the others.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/16/19 01:00 PM

Any advice on where I should advertise this house?
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/23/19 04:52 AM

AirBnB, Craigslist or Homeaway to start with, maybe?
Posted By: pavlaugh

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/23/19 06:29 AM

Looks nice but the non-potable water combined with the price (and no online reviews) would be a deal-breaker for me as a general user of VRBO / AIRBNB.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/29/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5-20
AirBnB, Craigslist or Homeaway to start with, maybe?

We are listed on AirBnB I avoid Craigslist but will check out Homeaway.

Originally Posted by pavlaugh
Looks nice but the non-potable water combined with the price (and no online reviews) would be a deal-breaker for me as a general user of VRBO / AIRBNB.

We stock 3 five gallon jugs of drinking water in the house. Online reviews will come.

I just need a few fishermen to start using the place. I may lower price some to get it started. If anyone from here wants to rent just e-mail me through AirBnB and we can wheel and deal.

BTW - White bass (males) are there now. Won't be long until the big females are there.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/30/19 03:32 AM

Don’t forget to give a weekly rate. Which is just a discounted nightly rate, for longer stays.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/30/19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by crapicat
Don’t forget to give a weekly rate. Which is just a discounted nightly rate, for longer stays.

We did. 20% off for a week and 40% off for a month.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/30/19 07:12 PM

Please forgive my ignorance, but what makes water good enough to wash dishes and clothes in, but not good enough to cook with or drink? Looks like a nice quiet place to get away from everything.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/30/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by texcajun
Please forgive my ignorance, but what makes water good enough to wash dishes and clothes in, but not good enough to cook with or drink? Looks like a nice quiet place to get away from everything.

Chemical pollution for one. The streams in New England are beautiful clear running water but will no longer support native trout due to pollution.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/31/19 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by texcajun

I'm not a water well expert. I just go by what all the surrounding neighbors do. All the wells hit the same water. It may be good to drink but I play it safe and only consume purified water.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 10/31/19 12:58 PM

FYI - I updated pricing and lowered the cleaning fee in order to get a few people out to get started.

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 11/30/19 03:22 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fish starting to bite down south. A few whites in the evening also. Didn't try for any catfish but they're almost always close by.
Posted By: tubejig

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 12/03/19 10:33 PM

Riverrat9 give me a call got a few questions Thanks 512-293-8338

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 01/14/20 09:28 PM

White bass are starting to bite off the dock!

Re: Anyone ever look for a river fishing cabin to rent? - 03/12/21 02:17 PM

We now have plenty of reviews. I'm installing a water softener next week and then getting water tested. We still stock 5 gallon water jugs people can use. The water's not bad. I think it just has more iron in it than I like but the softener should take that out.

We do weekly and monthly discounts.

Upgraded the steps/ramp to get down to the dock. Lots more fishing room now.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum