Texas Fishing Forum

Topwaters Box meltdown!

Posted By: herbsteiner

Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/22/19 09:48 PM

Okay, it's been hot. We all know that. But imagine my dismay when I opened the bait locker in my boat, took out the topwater 3700 box, and saw that EVERY BAIT IN THE BOX HAD MELTED into the most grotesque shapes imaginable. Like monsters. And there were 26 baits in there, including 9 whopper ploppers, a half dozen R2S Rovers, some not-inexpesive lures. I figured about 300 bucks worth.

I've never had an entire box of baits get destroyed like that. I opened up my other hard bait boxes and they were all good to go.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 20190822_145859.jpg
Attached picture 20190822_145910.jpg
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/22/19 11:11 PM

WOW! Those are some good looking baits now with crinkle pain and all. Here are a couple of "Worm Spooks", that will catch fish, to go with them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/22/19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
WOW! Those are some good looking baits now with crinkle pain and all. Here are a couple of "Worm Spooks", that will catch fish, to go with them.

[Linked Image]

Ought to be some wild action with that one!
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/23/19 12:02 PM

Holy batman balls!!! I haven't ever seen a lure do that!! Even if it did get super hot while in the boat how could it do that?!?! Looks like a dang blowtorch was taken to them. WOW... I'd contact the lure manufacturers and just show em! Maybe they could answer as to what temp it takes their plastic bodies to MELT...

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/23/19 12:18 PM

I'm going to contact R2S about those Whopper Ploppers and Rovers. Them were pretty costly baits, right there.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/23/19 12:33 PM

Do you store your boat outside?
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/23/19 12:40 PM

Did you happen to use some kind of cleaner to clean the inside of the box? Maybe chemicals plus heat. Did you paint any of those baits recently?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/23/19 01:23 PM

First I've seen do that. Bad deal. cry
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/23/19 01:31 PM

Do you still have a boat?

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/25/19 04:11 PM

No chemicals in the bait locker, baits in watertight Plano box. Still have boat, stored outside. smile

I contacted R2S and the very nice fellow on the other end said "wow," and admitted that he'd rarely but occasionally experienced such an occurance on very hot days, and that it was very weird to actuall watch, especially with the bait still in the packaging. He allowed as how he couldn't tell me what the company policy is but that I should contact customer service. So I sent an email to James@river2sea and we'll see what they can do for me. Fingers are crossed.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/25/19 04:34 PM

Do you store your boat uncovered in direct sunlight?!? I’ve stored my boat outside for almost a decade and have never had anything close to that happen to my baits before.

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/25/19 06:46 PM

Boat stored outside, sometimes covered and sometimes not. All baits stored in a dark bait locker, as explained in above posts. No other hard baits affected, only the topwater box. Which is a Plano 3700 watertight, like the rest of them. This has never happened before, and we've had some hot summers down here on Lake Travis.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/25/19 07:37 PM

I'm guessing its from that watertight box. Plastic baits, specially new ones let off gasses when heated. That combined with being in a sealed box created enough heat to melt them.

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/26/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
I'm guessing its from that watertight box. Plastic baits, specially new ones let off gasses when heated. That combined with being in a sealed box created enough heat to melt them.

That sounds very plausible, wouldn't be surprised. Waiting to see what R2S will think of the situation and how I'll make out. I like the company, regardless.
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/26/19 12:34 AM

The only time I’ve had any do that was when I’d cleaned some traps and put them on the tailgate in the sun to dry. They looked like cousin Darryl had come by and got em pregnant.

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 08/29/19 09:22 PM

The folks at R2S did right by me, so I'm satisfied. Good company.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 09/04/19 02:15 AM

Did you have any Z-Man ElaZtech baits or tails in Plano box?
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 09/04/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by herbsteiner
The folks at R2S did right by me, so I'm satisfied. Good company.
Good to hear! I like their baits and it's good to hear they made you satisfied.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 09/04/19 03:25 PM

Do you use line conditioner like Real Magic?

Re: Topwaters Box meltdown! - 09/04/19 04:03 PM

No chemicals on line, no Z-man baits anywhere. R2S pretty much feels that the problem is/was a combination of off-gasses from the plastics, in a confined space, reacting to heat in the closed tackle locker. It's happened to them very occasionally with baits in unopened packages sitting in the hot sun.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum