Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance HDS Repair

Posted By: Pitch

Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/16/19 05:11 PM

Is there any one in the Dallas area working on Lowrance HDS Gen 3 Units? Mine is out of warranty and Lowrance wants $1,125.00 for an exchange for what is probably a simple internal repair. I have done a hard reset>>>no help.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/16/19 05:20 PM

Try calling Boris Marine. Before Lowrance went to the current program, Boris was an authorized service center for Lowrance. They still do repairs on Lowrance out of warranty.
Posted By: Pitch

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/16/19 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info...I will do without Sonar before I give the thieves at Lowrance $1,125.00 for an exchange for what has to be a simple internal fix. They need to start servicing what they sell or get the hell out of business as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/16/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pitch
Thanks for the info...I will do without Sonar before I give the thieves at Lowrance $1,125.00 for an exchange for what has to be a simple internal fix. They need to start servicing what they sell or get the hell out of business as far as I am concerned.

Exactly
Posted By: T-Rig Ranger

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/16/19 08:26 PM

Yep. I have a HDS 9 Gen 2 paperweight in my shop due to a cracked screen.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/17/19 07:51 PM

A Gen3 is now 3 generations old. Even if Lowrance or anyone else would/could repair the repair cost might approach the exchange cost.

i suspect there is no simple fix - likely everything internal is mounted on a muliti-layer circuit board with surface-mount technology components, etc. Too time consuming and difficult to troubleshoot down to a component level. Would also require special equipment to repair and test not to mention maintain specialized parts stock. All that would probably require a circuit board swap out - essentially same as exchanging the unit. Thats probably what Lowrance does under warranty - just swap out defective boards for new tested ones or just send a new unit for replacement. Too time consuming and expensive to troubleshoot.

It ain't pretty but it is what it is.

These things are not our parents/grandparents color TVs.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/17/19 09:20 PM

They may help

http://www.clearcastmarine.com/
http://www.cionatech.com/
Posted By: T-Rig Ranger

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/17/19 09:22 PM

In the past Lowrance would sell parts to repair shops so people could make their own decision on whether to repair or replace. Most of the time it was much cheaper to repair. However, Lowrance decided to stop selling parts to repair shops so that you are forced to buy a new unit if its out of warranty. Bottom line: good for them, bad for the customer.
Posted By: Bernie Lee

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/19/19 06:08 PM

Just buy a 5 in. unit for sonar and mount it next to your big one.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/20/19 09:49 PM

Wish they would modularize the product. All they should sell is a smart box and ducers. Touch screens could be added separately and plug into the box.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/22/19 06:18 PM

Second on Boris Marine Electronics, Fort Worth. If it can be fixed they can do it.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Lowrance HDS Repair - 05/31/19 02:57 PM

BORIS MARINE !GOOD PEOPLE DOING A GREAT JOB!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum