Texas Fishing Forum

Need Trout recipe

Posted By: Texdan

Need Trout recipe - 12/28/18 08:35 PM

Finally caught some of those stocker rainbow trout, now I need a good recipe on how to cook them. Tips?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/28/18 09:03 PM

Google is your friend.

Easy way is gut them wash and pat dry. Take a paper sack with flour, salt and pepper, fry in bacon grease.
Posted By: Les Ems

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/29/18 01:09 PM

Chop them up and use for Catfish Bait.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/29/18 03:02 PM

Bake em. Use any dry ingredients you would use on a steak. We also like the juice of lemons, limes and oranges, a little butter, wrap in foil and grill. I will say stocker trout are not as flavorful and wild...but when in Texas...

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/29/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by kodys'papa
Bake em. Use any dry ingredients you would use on a steak. We also like the juice of lemons, limes and oranges, a little butter, wrap in foil and grill. I will say stocker trout are not as flavorful and wild...but when in Texas...

Thanks kp. I've heard that too, if they aren't very good I will just CPR the next time....might try forkduc's frying method too....
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/29/18 05:40 PM

I clean them and leave them whole, head on. get some foil and place the fish on it. I then cut some lemon slices, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. wrap it up and place it on the grill until the meat starts to flake.

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/29/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nekro
I clean them and leave them whole, head on. get some foil and place the fish on it. I then cut some lemon slices, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. wrap it up and place it on the grill until the meat starts to flake.

Thanks Nekro. Just wondering why to leave the head on? I've aleady cut them off on this batch....didn't want the fish looking at me while eating it! :-)
Posted By: 361V

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/30/18 01:54 AM

Head on is all about the ambiance! Nothing more!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/30/18 04:12 AM

Replied in the Bluegill Section on your request to my post! They are a super good eating fish! thumb
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/30/18 06:54 PM

I used this pecan encrusted trout recipe on some I caught in the white river last summer. It was great.
Posted By: Stroker XS

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/30/18 10:59 PM

If the oily fishy taste is to much try grilling or smoking it. That’s my favorite way

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/31/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stroker XS
If the oily fishy taste is to much try grilling or smoking it. That’s my favorite way

I sure hope they are not 'fishy' tasting, will find out soon.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Need Trout recipe - 12/31/18 04:48 PM

This
Posted By: 9094

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/01/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 361V

Actually a lot easier to debone after cooked with the head on.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/02/19 11:40 AM

Actually the head has some of the most tasty parts

Most places in the world leave them on, In the USA we cut them off
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/02/19 11:40 AM

This is the way I do it, pretty easy
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/02/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

Actually the head has some of the most tasty parts

Most places in the world leave them on, In the USA we cut them off

Yup the head has some of the best meat on it. The cheeks are great and all around the top of the head. Its not a lot of meat but its very flavorful.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/02/19 06:09 PM

you also keep a little more of the meat behind the head. I usually coat in olive oil and sprinkle with lemon pepper and Old Bay then bake on 400 or grill for about 20 minutes. Just do not overcook. The stockies in Lower Mountain Fork that have been in the stream for a while can be very good eating. I have caught many out of there that had pinkish orange meat. Cold flowing water is the key. I have 12 in the freezer right now. I should have eaten some fresh but already had several nights of dinner planned.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/02/19 09:58 PM

I got a couple of limits at BB this weekend as well.

I gut them and cut the heads off (I don't like them eyeballing me). Leave the skin on. Then brush with olive oil, sprinkle with lemon pepper and grill until flaky and tender. Good Eats!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/04/19 06:22 PM

sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out, put a tab of butter and some onion inside the cavity, wrap in foil, throw over the coals or bake in oven or on the grill, about 10 minutes per side, unwrap and squeeze a little lemon juice on them and eat, they are not bad at all like this. I have another recipe I got out of a Grady Spears cookbook. it is made in a cast iron skillet, I will try to dig it up, it is really good.
Posted By: rookyboy

Re: Need Trout recipe - 01/16/19 11:37 AM

Cedar plank on the BBQ is pretty good! You can use a variety of different toppings when you cook them this way. My son took jalapeno jelly and spread over the top of the meat and then layed some orange slices on top of the jelly. Sounds funky, but it was real tasty. The key is to make sure the wood is thorough soaked in water and cook them slowly on very low heat. If you have a multi burner BBQ you can turn off some of the burners and place the wood plank directly over the burners that are shut off. Let the low heat inside the BBQ lid do the cooking! Yummy stuff cooking on cedar planks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum