Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts Golden Algae?

Posted By: texasflycaster

Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 12:41 PM

Seeing reports posted that are direct copy from TPWD's weekly report that mention "... fish kill due to golden alga" on Lake Ray Roberts. I look at the report on the TPWD site (supposedly the original source), and there's no mention. What gives?
Posted By: 9094

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 01:03 PM

It would be a really weird time for golden algae. It usually occurs during the coldest months and low water.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 03:08 PM

Link?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 03:20 PM

Link?

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 07:40 PM

The links are to quotes from fishing reports ripped from the TPWD report. Corpus Christi news outlet was one ... so now I will go back to work finding those. You could try "Ray Roberts Golden Alga" and see what pops in google -- bet that would surprise you ... but I will do the work.

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 07:45 PM

It looks like the tracks are getting covered.

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 07:51 PM

https://kristv.com/news/ap-texas-news/2018/08/22/texas-fishing-report/
There is where it WAS. It also popped on an Michigan newspaper (that also copy/pastes the report) Thursday night. It looks like there may be some edits now.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 07:57 PM

I googled it earlier and didn't find anything. Makes sense now. That TPWD report is and always has been complete garbage. Some of the most generic and inaccurate info on the web. I don't even waste time looking at them.

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 08:00 PM

Top one is actually from July but I was out of town. The second one was this week - so there could be a glitch in the system - a copy-paste-post system that is.
So there we have it.

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 08:05 PM

LINK!
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: texasflycaster

I found this as well. If this is what you guys are going off of, I'm sorry? to say, but you're mistaken. If you actually go to the page and ctrl+f "alga" you find that Sweetwater is the only one experiencing an algae bloom. Note the ellipsis "..." on the preview for the link. That shows that some text is skipped to get to the part about algae.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/25/18 09:54 PM

No fish kill here that I've heard of.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/26/18 09:49 AM

Posted By: Stray Cat

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/26/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

I fish RR quite often and I agree ^^^^

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/26/18 07:23 PM

yes, that is what I assumed - the part about skipping to "golden alga" - but somehow I think that's getting picked up because I saw it pasted together on one site -- that is pasted to Ray Roberts. Yes, I have been on the lake three times in the last 8 days, and nothing golden but the carp out there!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 08/28/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
It would be a really weird time for golden algae. It usually occurs during the coldest months and low water.
It can happen during a drought, happened at whitney once this time of year I remember but usually it happens when the water is still cold February/March.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 09/04/18 04:42 PM

This is off the current fishing report on the TPWD website.

Ray Roberts
Water clear to lightly stained: 84–87 degrees; 1.53' low. Black bass are slow on Carolina rigged creature baits, Magnum shakyheads and deep diving crankbaits. White bass are fair on minnows. Crappie are fair on minnows and jigs. Catfish are good on trotlines.

No mention of Golden Algae.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 09/04/18 07:38 PM

I personally have killed several hundred crappie there in the past few weeks, so maybe that's what they are talking about.
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Ray Roberts Golden Algae? - 09/06/18 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Legend LE-195
Originally Posted By: 9094
It can happen during a drought, happened at whitney once this time of year I remember but usually it happens when the water is still cold February/March.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in Honolulu is 52 degrees, marked on Jan. 20, 1969. Coincidentally, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Lihue — 50 degrees — falls on the same date.
States that have reported golden alga include Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.
Someone explain, please.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum