Texas Fishing Forum

Best eating fish out there?

Posted By: Patrnflyr

Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 01:36 PM

I’m not really big into eating fish but was curious what others think are the best eating fish in Texas lakes. I catch and release everything. My idea of eating fish is at Papadeaux’s. If I were to keep some fish to eat, I’d rank them:
1. Walleye
2. Crappie
3. Channel Cats (at a restaurant— hate to clean)

Probably my favorite fish of all time goes to saltwater and it’s halibut with Cod not far behind. I just can’t tolerate any of the trout, salmon species. Taste too fishy to me. My wife is almost directly opposite and will order trout any time it’s available. Let me know what your ideas are. Just curious...
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 01:38 PM

2. Crappie for the win
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 02:12 PM

Bluegill
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Bluegill

thumb
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 02:20 PM

Freshwater - Walleye
Saltwater - Flounder
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 02:40 PM

crappie hands down.
Bluegill 2nd place
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 02:40 PM

Freshwater bluegill
Saltwater pompano
Posted By: glen6131

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 02:41 PM

Freshwater
1 Crappie
2 Walleye
2a. Bluegill

Saltwater
1 Yellowfin Tuna
2 Cobia
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 03:21 PM

Fresh water - Walleye

Growing up in Florida, I've eaten just about every saltwater fish out there. There are many you could call the best like Snook, Dolphin, Wahoo etc. Here are a few fish you may never have had and I consider some of the best eating over anything else. They are small sized fish and are overlooked or less sought after.

1. Hog Fish - very rare to catch on rod and reel, have to spear them. They mostly eat mollusk.
2. Moon Fish, AKA Look Down ... you see them in a lot of the big aquariums, not much meat on them but extremely tasty!
4. Triple Tail - caught on the offshore weed lines hovering near the surface.
5. Strawberry Grouper - A small species of grouper.
6. Checkered Puffer fish, AKA Toad Fish generally caught in the inshore waters.
7. Sand Perch - small bluegill sized fish also generally caught in the inshore waters.

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 04:43 PM

Freshwater: flathead catfish, followed by crappie.

Saltwater: sablefish ("black cod"), followed by halibut

If the trout & salmon you've tried is "too fishy", you may be getting farmed fish rather than wild caught. Another possibility is fish that's been improperly handled (frozen, thawed, refrozen, etc).
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 04:58 PM

Walleye but not many in Texas. Crappie are a very close second.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Walleye but not many in Texas. Crappie are a very close second.

+1
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 05:31 PM

I don’t eat a lot of freshwater fish.

Catfish from some water is really good and other water tastes muddy or grassy. Bluegills are good. Freshwater trout can be really good.

Saltwater, most anything fresh is good. I eat a lot of redfish and trout and love it. Hard to pick favorites, there’s so many good ones. Reef fish like grouper and snapper, northern fish like haddock and halibut, Pelagic fish like mahi mahi, and wahoo, they are all good. I also like strong flavored fish like salmon, bluefish and mackerel.

Fish that isn’t fresh or prepared wrong is the kind I don’t like. Can’t stand any of the Asian farm raised stuff like Basa or tilapia.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 06:04 PM

Walleye and native brook trout!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 07:27 PM

Crappie and bluegill with crappie being the favorite. We ate a ton of big bluegill growing up though. The big hybrids are better
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 08:17 PM

White Bass,Crappie,and Bluegill! thumb
Posted By: Bosqueboy

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 09:33 PM

Walleye

Speckled Trout
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 09:55 PM

Crappie, but I do miss those shoreline lunches of fresh fried walleye in the north country.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 09:56 PM

I will take a speckled trout from the gulf any day. We catch and eat a lot of Stripers, but it it’s not my favorite. I usually use it for family and friends fish frys, and keep the saltwater stuff for myself.

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/04/18 10:17 PM

I like crappie too but it seems like they’re all 9 3/4” in Granbury. I’ve finally been able to catch a few after many of you give me instructions but no biggies yet.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 12:06 AM

Several years ago I would have said crappie until I ate walleye up in Iowa. Made me want to throw rocks at crappie.

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 12:16 AM

Yep. Walleye is it for me. Even Culver’s sells Walleye fillet dinners and sandwiches when it’s in season. Best eating fish out there
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 12:25 AM

Walleye or crappie for the win...and the tie! Both equally great and best eating freshwater fish hands down!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 01:08 AM

Walleye for me!
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 01:21 AM

Walleye is no comparison to fresh Halibut...but unfortunately its not readily available in Texas.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 01:32 AM

As to normal deep fry, the very best of Catfish, is from BlueCats weighing about 12# to 14#. You shave the 2 back straps from the bone (not fillet them). You cut across to have what looks like small "8" or "B" shaped steaks. About 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. After deep frying, your batter shell should be slightly crisp. But as you crack it open, the meat will flake (Oh, so Tender!!!). There is nothing better, if fried in Mrs. Tucker's & dipped in ice cold Del Monte ketchup. For some reason, the 12 to 14# pounders are the very best for this, whether from the Trinity River (below TX 21 bridge) or Lake Limestone.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/05/18 11:29 AM

I have never had walleye so I cannot comment. Crappie & bluegill are great especially from the cold water in the winter.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: don the angler
I have never had walleye so I cannot comment. Crappie & bluegill are great especially from the cold water in the winter.

I had never had it until last year. I moved here to Virginia for work, been here 4 years now and the lakes I fish have walleye but not very many. I've caught 2 since I've been here, the first one I took pics and threw back because I'm just not a big fan of eating freshwater fish and was later berated by friends "you threw it back!?", the second one I took home .... it's the real deal, best tasting freshwater fish I've ever had, you could have told me it was snapper and I wouldn't have known the difference.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Ledeez
Walleye for me!
I agree 110%
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 03:12 PM

Crappie in the freshwater, Snook in the saltwater.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 03:39 PM

One to two pound channel cats from a flowing river like the San Marcos or Guadalupe.
Posted By: Timberking

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 04:19 PM

We had bass, flathead, crappie, bream, and walleye laid out at Ouachita. 4 way tie and the bass was good.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
One to two pound channel cats from a flowing river like the San Marcos or Guadalupe.

Water quality makes all the difference when it comes to catfish. Chow down on a cat taken from a mossy pond, and chances are it'll taste like moss. The best cats I've tasted came from a clean flowing river, especially one with a sandy bottom. The old timers say the best tasting catfish come from the Great Salt Plains lake in OK. This is supposedly due to the high saline content.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/06/18 11:58 PM

Sand Dabs caught in cold water (55 or lower) then pan fried in garlic and butter. In 55 years of fishing, they are easily my favorite behind Salmon caught fresh in the Pacific Northwest.

Marc
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/07/18 02:09 AM

Experience itself had probably something to do with it, but best thing I have ever had were walleye cheeks while on the ice.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/07/18 02:16 PM

Hell, they are all good !!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/07/18 04:01 PM

We got to PB and fell face first into a big time fish fry. Neighbors hauled In over a hundred stripers. I never fish for them thus never ate them. They had way more fillets than folks to feed so they kept bringing hot messes of fish over to us. It was plain old cornmeal fried fish and very tasty. I think it would be better with mustard under the cornmeal but no complaints at all.

Baby Bass are better IMO.
Posted By: catfish

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/07/18 05:55 PM

OP said Texas lakes so I say,
1. Crappie
2. 10-15 lb flathead in fish tacos, mmm
3. Bluegill
I would have put walleye in there but the last ones I caught in Texas was Lake Meredith and I think it dried up.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/07/18 08:57 PM

10lb and over largemouth bass. food
Posted By: JackCaster

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/08/18 06:00 PM

Freshwater = Walleye. I spent my teenage years in Southern Alberta and fished every slough, river, irrigation ditch and lake within 200miles of Medicine Hat. Fresh Walleye from the Oldman is second to none.

Saltwater = Alaskan Halibut. The spring and fall fish trucks use to come through town loaded with the latest catches from the coast. Salmon were good but the halibut slabs were heavenly. (great job, mom!)
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 12:41 AM

For fresh water fish;
1. Walleye
2. Crappie
3. Channel Cats
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 12:56 AM

Number 1 hands down in my opinion is White Bass to me they taste Even better than crappies
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Catfanman
Number 1 hands down in my opinion is White Bass to me they taste Even better than crappies

They are decent, but no where near the top on my list.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 01:03 AM

That's not very good to do because a double digit bass is a fish of a lifetime if I caught a bass that big I would throw it back because they rarely get that big and 2
It's a old fish and 3 I would think it would taste terrible and not worth eating .in my opinion to should only eat bass between legal size a three pound and the rest should live to fight Another day but hey that's you and you have the right to do it but personally I wouldn't .
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 02:45 AM

Your papadeaux's , fish was not caught and released .It landed in your belly, with spices and butter and mushrooms,
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 10:58 AM

Not a freshwater fish but my uncle caught a mahi mahi when I was a kid and when he cooked it and I tasted that fish I knew no other fish i would ever taste would be as good.

That was 40 years ago and still holds true.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 04:05 PM

8-10 lb bass
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 04:28 PM

Tonight we'll be having fresh Cobia, Mahi and Red Snapper. Don't get much better than that! Crappie and Bream are my favorites from fresh water. Never had the chance to eat Walleye.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 09:48 PM

Years ago I would have scoffed at this statement. But live and learn.

Once I learned that it is an imperative to wash the heck out of the filets, rinsing
three times with ice water until the rinse water is CLEAR, not pink. On really
big whites it's best to cut out the red stripe. Not needed for ones under 15 inches.

I would put white bass filets treated in this manner right up there with the best.

I still put up bluegill as my favorite, but white bass is right behind, then catfish and crappie.

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/09/18 10:08 PM

walleye, followed by crappie, and then flathead cats. Black bass, channel cats, and blue cats all fall about number 4. sandbass/white bass are gross IMO
Posted By: wrestlefish

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/10/18 04:16 AM

I am a fan of crappie and walleye, but striper is pretty darn good and offers a different texture. I put striper above catfish. Saying that, I wouldn't turn down a meal of any of the above.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/10/18 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: JackCaster
Freshwater = Walleye. I spent my teenage years in Southern Alberta and fished every slough, river, irrigation ditch and lake within 200miles of Medicine Hat. Fresh Walleye from the Oldman is second to none.

Saltwater = Alaskan Halibut. The spring and fall fish trucks use to come through town loaded with the latest catches from the coast. Salmon were good but the halibut slabs were heavenly. (great job, mom!)

I'd love to try Walleye. A great reputation for taste as freshwater fish go, almost always mentioned by folks "in the know" along with crappie. Alas, the only lake around D/FW stocked with a viable population of them? Wheeler Branch. But, they are a tough target.

Ah! Halibut! JackCaster nails it on the head for me. These fish are large enough to present thick slabs for cooking. And, what a taste.

For you catch and release guys still needing options:

Icelandic Cod fish sandwich or plate from Zeke's in FW ordered with okra and eggplant? You'll never eat at a Pappadeaux again. Zeke's is legendary, you never get over it if you need a dose of fried food. Habit forming, be careful. The owner is a great guy, used to be a bit like the Soup Nazi, but has mellowed with age.

Halibut fish sandwich from the Lake Athens Marina Restaurant: very good, great even.

The Bottom on Bluebonnet Circle in FW - Halibut fish tacos. Dear God!

Catfish? Shrimp N Stuff on O street in Galveston, the old location. Even a half order is a big meal. This place knows how to fry fish. Cheap, too.

Brad
Posted By: cellis

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/10/18 01:34 PM

I haven't tried walleye, but for Texas freshwater fish the best to me is crappie.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/10/18 02:18 PM

I wonder if anyone has had Rio Grande Cichlids? I haven’t. What about anything in the carp family? Gar doesn’t do anything for me.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/10/18 02:38 PM

Freshwater for me is Walleye then Crappie. If you cut the blood line out of Striper or Sand Bass, they are delish as well.

Saltwater. Snapper, Mahi, Cobia, Tuna. Some of the deepwater snapper in Hawaii like Opakapaka are really good.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/10/18 05:04 PM

this proves the old saying , " there is no accounting for taste or lack of it " smile

Walleye = Crappie

for fresh water

Flounder in salt water

MO
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/11/18 09:18 AM

Baby bass
Posted By: cob

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/11/18 12:08 PM

Crappie and Walleye. Edge goes to Walleye because they live in colder water. Last year in Canada guide bet we couldn’t tell difference between Northern Pike and Walleye. We kept some for shore lunch and everyone tried both. Most of us couldn’t.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/11/18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: blooper961
crappie hands down.
Bluegill 2nd place

Plus 2
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/11/18 03:06 PM

Walleye and yellow perch, to me crappie are not even a close second and I really like me some crappie.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/11/18 04:37 PM

Freshwater - 1. crappie, I have not had walleye but imagine it would be as good or better than crappie.
2. tilapia
3. perch

Saltwater - 1. mahi mahi
2. flounder
3. red snapper
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/11/18 05:28 PM

striper for me. I don't think crappie even ranks in top 5 too mushy. ive never tried walleye heard its great
Posted By: ZX4545

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/12/18 07:31 PM

Posted By: COFF

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/12/18 09:28 PM

My favorite saltwater is fresh caught speckled trout. But every day it sits in the fridge it slips down the list. And if you freeze it it doesn't even make the list.

For freshwater, I love Northern Pike. Then walleye and crappie are tied for 2nd and 3rd. Channel cats are #4, but only if they are caught in clear water. Catfish caught in muddy water don't even taste like the same kind of fish.
Posted By: CB Frog

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/12/18 10:28 PM

Freshwater: Crappie or Walleye

Saltwater: Snook or Tripletail
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/13/18 12:32 AM

My favorite fish to eat is barely legal redfish.

Speckled trout are way overrated IMO.

Then it would be a tie between bass, crappie, and big bream; all taste the same to me.

I haven’t eaten walleye, but have eaten most everything else at least once.

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/13/18 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: COFF
My favorite saltwater is fresh caught speckled trout. But every day it sits in the fridge it slips down the list. And if you freeze it it doesn't even make the list.

For freshwater, I love Northern Pike. Then walleye and crappie are tied for 2nd and 3rd. Channel cats are #4, but only if they are caught in clear water. Catfish caught in muddy water don't even taste like the same kind of fish.

May be the first time ever I heard someone say northern pike was their favorite fish, I have never had it so I cannot comment.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/15/18 10:28 PM

northern blue pike shorelunch
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/16/18 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: catfish
OP said Texas lakes so I say,
1. Crappie
2. 10-15 lb flathead in fish tacos, mmm
3. Bluegill
I would have put walleye in there but the last ones I caught in Texas was Lake Meredith and I think it dried up.

Walleye is making a comeback after the low water. Next year could be really good. (I’m working on an article and that’s the word I’m getting from the biologist in the area.)

We don’t have yellow perch in Texas but I’d rate them better than walleye for eating. On walleye, you must cut out the small flesh on the cheek. It is so good. Small bite size though.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/16/18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
Originally Posted By: COFF

May be the first time ever I heard someone say northern pike was their favorite fish, I have never had it so I cannot comment.

They have the perfect mix of flaky and firmness, and a good clean flavor. Perfect for a cornmeal deep fry. They have a Y shaped bone that runs right through the middle of the filet though, so you have to learn a little fancy knife work. And don't ever say you like to eat northern to someone up north. They'll just look at you like you are plum crazy.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/16/18 10:21 PM

nothing compares to a 2lb bass
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/16/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Tonight we'll be having fresh Cobia, Mahi and Red Snapper. Don't get much better than that! Crappie and Bream are my favorites from fresh water. Never had the chance to eat Walleye.

I'd recommend putting a trophy walleye trip on your to do list. A good excuse for a vacation at the very least! thumb

For me it's:
Yellow Perch
Walleye
Crappie

Even better if they come while you're ice fishing.
Posted By: Boog

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/17/18 01:30 AM

Crappie, Crappie and more Crappie

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/17/18 02:41 AM

And don't forget about a flat head, they are very good eating.
Posted By: guntz67

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/22/18 04:05 AM

flathead (yellowcat) #1
Crappie #2
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/22/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
nothing compares to a 2lb bass

5lbers are more succulent!
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/22/18 07:22 PM

Freshwater, Walleye, yellow perch, Walleye are a member of the perch family, a large perch is as good as a walleye. Sauger is basically the same fish.
Crappie and bluegill are a close second.
i should add, that all must be properly prepared. A great fresh fish is easily turned mediocre by a mistake or two in preparation.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/23/18 08:50 PM

Salt Water - My favorite is fresh Bluefin tuna, you can eat them right on the boat, just cut a slice off, squirt of lime juice and enjoy.. Of course it's better in San Diego with ice cold Pacifico
Halibut
Mahi Mahi
Fresh Water - Crappie, bluegil
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/25/18 06:47 AM

Whole Bluegill has to be the tastiest freshwater fish by far. Tilapia(Squaw Creek) are delicious as well. Buffalo on the grill is fantastic, wow...so good.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/25/18 04:56 PM

Crappie
Rainbow Trout
Catfish
Posted By: franchi

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/28/18 12:36 AM

White Sea bass
Ling cod

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 07/28/18 01:04 AM

For eating, a northern pike to a northerner is like a carp is to a southerner or so I’ve been told. Caught a few up in northern NM but let them go.

On another note, we were fishing up on Eagle Nest Lake near Red River, NM and talked to the guide. He said they had yellow perch and Northern pike brought in illegally by some “Snowbird” from up north because he missed fishing for them while visiting down there. They knew who did it but couldn’t prove it. Now, they’re all over the place and they want them removed whenever caught. The even have a Northern pike derby to try and clear out the water. They’re murderous on the native trout and Kokanee salmon.
Posted By: RiverRoad

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 08/03/18 02:47 AM

This list is based on what I catch/fish for.....

1. Sac-a-lait (crappie)
2. Speckle Trout (would rank equal to crappie if they "kept" better)
3. Flat Head (Opaloosa Catfish)
4. Black Bass
5. Blue Catfish
6. Redfish
7. White Bass
8. Hybrid
9. Striper
10. Gar
11. Drum
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/17/18 01:41 AM

1 Crappie

2 Blue Gill

3 Black Bass
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/17/18 04:23 PM

1. Halibut
2. Walleye
3. Sockeye salmon
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/17/18 04:38 PM

Red Ear perch for fried fish
Crappie for grilled fish
Posted By: UJC

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/17/18 05:51 PM

Walleye -1

Crappie - 2

Copper River Salmon - 3
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/19/18 12:00 AM

1.Opp
2.Blue Gill
3.Crappie
4.Spotted bass
Posted By: Alan

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/24/18 06:27 PM

Crappie caught in the winter. Cold water.
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/24/18 06:51 PM

Saltwater:

Speckle Trout
Redfish
Sheephead

Freshwater:
Perch/Blue gill/Panfish or whatever u care to call them.
Sac-a-lait(Crappie)
Drum(Gaspergou)
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/24/18 06:51 PM

Nephew caught a bay halibut in California few months ago, fried with a beer batter, best fried fish I've had. Whole deep fried blue gill, crappie, yellow cat from moving water, broiled flounder, and a bunch of other next.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/24/18 08:39 PM

Perch (are different from a Bluegill for all you southerners)
Walleye
Pike
Bluegill

I think the common denominator for the best tasting fish is cold clean water. I'd eat anything that came out of our Minnesota lake before anything out of a Texas lake. Meat is firmer, and cleaner tasting. I like the huge crappies you can catch down here, but always get a little disappointed with the mush consistency. smirk
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 10/27/18 08:36 PM

..Flathead..alligator gar. .cobia..
food 2cents
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 11/05/18 01:52 PM

Trout, and not the farm raised garbage.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 11/05/18 10:15 PM

Walleye is my favorite.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 11/05/18 10:26 PM

Fresh water- Walleye
Salt water - Flounder
Posted By: jvela

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 11/08/18 11:17 AM

Crappie and flathead hands down! Not much luck with flathead lately.... open to any advice to help me grab some more!
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/20/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
10lb and over largemouth bass. food

The king of sarcasm.
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/20/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Coreywms
Saltwater:

Speckle Trout
Redfish
Sheephead

Freshwater:
Sac-a-lait(Crappie)
Drum(Gaspergou)

Gaspergou is hard to beat. The best part is that nobody will believe us.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/21/19 10:45 PM

Chilean sea bass food

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/21/19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by bluesea112
Saltwater:

Speckle Trout
Redfish
Sheephead

Freshwater:
Sac-a-lait(Crappie)
Drum(Gaspergou)

Originally Posted by bluesea112
Saltwater:

Speckle Trout
Redfish
Sheephead

Freshwater:
Sac-a-lait(Crappie)
Drum(Gaspergou)

Posted By: deucer02

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Catfanman
That's not very good to do because a double digit bass is a fish of a lifetime if I caught a bass that big I would throw it back because they rarely get that big and 2
It's a old fish and 3 I would think it would taste terrible and not worth eating .in my opinion to should only eat bass between legal size a three pound and the rest should live to fight Another day but hey that's you and you have the right to do it but personally I wouldn't .

I have filleted some pretty good size bass, and the big ones taste just as good as the smaller ones.
Posted By: franchi

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 01:21 AM

Ling cod
White Sea bass
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 04:42 AM

I have lived in many parts of the country and tried many types of fish. I definitely prefer firm textured fish and raw saltwater fish vs cooked. My favorites are:

Saltwater- Wahoo, yellowfin, bluefin, cobra, snook
Freshwater- walleye, bluegill, bass
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 04:45 AM

Cobia, not cobra, haven’t tried snake but eel is pretty good...
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 12:06 PM

Chilean Sea Bass from Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen
Posted By: BSanders

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 01:36 PM

Freshwater-crappie
Saltwater- wahoo or hogfish
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 02:26 PM

Any bass from lake fork
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/23/19 03:02 PM

The real big bass from fork taste best; thick bass steaks. The over's really tasty! food
Posted By: Cracked

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/30/19 05:36 PM

I've had just about everything listed above. I'll take fresh shore grilled piranha all day long. If you ever get a chance to do a peacock bass trip to the amazon, make sure you ask for a shore lunch. The peacock bass is pretty good but piranha definitely steals the show. I bet I ate at least two dozen on a six day trip.

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/31/19 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cracked
I've had just about everything listed above. I'll take fresh shore grilled piranha all day long. If you ever get a chance to do a peacock bass trip to the amazon, make sure you ask for a shore lunch. The peacock bass is pretty good but piranha definitely steals the show. I bet I ate at least two dozen on a six day trip.

Did they lay a bunch of small green limbs over a platform built over the hot fire, slice the fish crossways, rub salt and pepper into the slits, grill to perfection and serve with tortillas and salsa ?
Posted By: Thumpmeister1

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/31/19 01:47 AM

Freshwater-White Crappie
Saltwater- Blacktip Shark
Posted By: Cracked

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/31/19 12:35 PM

Yes they did!

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/31/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cracked
Yes they did!

thumb
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 01/31/19 04:32 PM

Anything in the sunfish family!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 02/01/19 08:53 PM

Carp or Sucker..
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 02/22/19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gamblinman
Crappie, but I do miss those shoreline lunches of fresh fried walleye in the north country.

I agree wholeheartedly, plus crappie freeze better than most other fish. Walleye in the southern waters don’t taste as good as walleye in the northern waters, IMO.

I prefer bluegill over catfish from most lakes, that I fish.

I love bass and redfish on the halfshell.

I prefer fresh water fish to salt water fish.
Posted By: Nerodia

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 02/25/19 10:52 PM

Crappie, bluegill, channel cat, white bass. In that order. Ice white bass immediately, don’t let them hang on a stringer, improves the taste a hundred percent.
Posted By: Dteebone0427

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 02/25/19 11:29 PM

Crappie
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 02/26/19 10:49 PM

Ditto on redfish on the half shell.

Also, this time of year Culver's usually has walleye, worth the trip IMHO.

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 02/26/19 11:14 PM

It's funny no one's mentioned fried shad.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 03/01/19 02:36 AM

For a cornmeal batter fish I like speckled trout.
Posted By: floydster

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 03/01/19 06:12 PM

I like crappie with stripers a close second. Fried in cracker crumbs salt and red pepper.
Posted By: DataHawk

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 03/04/19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thumpmeister1
Freshwater-White Crappie
Saltwater- Blacktip Shark

I was waiting for someone to say Blacktip. I fixed trout, red, and blacktip for my family. They tasted them all and liked the shark the best.
Posted By: garbow

Re: Best eating fish out there? - 03/04/19 09:45 PM

alligator gar 40-65 lbs are hands down my favorite fish!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum