Texas Fishing Forum

New Mexico bass fishing??

Posted By: Ripinlip

New Mexico bass fishing?? - 07/03/18 09:41 PM

Headed to Red river New Mexico for a week for vacation is there any good lakes or rivers for smallies or largemouth in the area? And taking my boat is an option if you would be worth it thanks for any help
Posted By: RadarNick

Re: New Mexico bass fishing?? - 07/04/18 03:35 AM

I really don't know of anything close to Red River that is going to be any good for bass. Trout is the name of the game, and with the forests being closed, your best bet is fishing the river in town for nice rainbows. If you're interested in catching a lot of fish, use a Berkley trout worm in either chartreuse or even better pink or red and have a blast. I'm more of a fly guy, but I was up there three weeks ago and both my Son in law and Grandson caught 20 to 30 fish a day in only a few hours using mainly a pink trout worm without any weight on both a fly rod and a light spinning rod.

https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-PowerBait...kley+trout+worm
Posted By: Scooterbravo

Re: New Mexico bass fishing?? - 07/06/18 02:40 AM

Not really much bass fishing right around Red River, but the nearest good fishing lake would probably be Eagle's Nest. No bass there, but Pike pushing 40" and Rainbow trout. The nearest good bass fishing would be Ute or Conchas, but that's much too far from Red river and could be an option going to/from depending on which route you take.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: New Mexico bass fishing?? - 07/06/18 04:58 AM

Well I guess I will just do some trout fishing sounds like that’s were it’s at thanks for the info
Posted By: ebl

Re: New Mexico bass fishing?? - 07/08/18 01:13 AM

elephant butte is a possibilty
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum