Texas Fishing Forum

Can Dog or Cat Food Chum?

Posted By: DCmac

Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 06:34 PM

Any voices of experience out there to comment?
Wondering if it'd be worth while throwing spoonsful of cheap canned cat/dog food in the water, hopefully get the fish biting?
Posted By: tchunter

Re: Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 06:50 PM

Don't know, but if you feed dog food to catfish, won't they taste funny?
Posted By: Big Lunker

Re: Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DCmac
Any voices of experience out there to comment?
Wondering if it'd be worth while throwing spoonsful of cheap canned cat/dog food in the water, hopefully get the fish biting?
Sent you a PM, check it out.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 08:00 PM

Turtles love dog food.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 08:26 PM

I lived in a cove on Canyon Lake all my high school years. I would fish that cove daily and catch nothing more than ant bites. I finally took a few cans of cheap dog food down to the water, poked a few holes in them, tied trotline to them and threw them out. I would pull them up after a week, then repeat. In the meantime, I would throw sour corn in the cove too. After about a month, I would start fishing in the cove. I wouldn't catch a catfish harldy less than 2 lbs. When I cleaned them, they were full of corn. Even some of the black bass would spit up corn when they were caught.

Another option I used was buying a few 50 lbs bags of the cheap dry dog food, pour it in a potato sack, then throw it in the water. The food would eventually seep out in small pieces. This would attract small baitfish, then of course bigger game would follow.
Posted By: sae

Re: Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 10:17 PM

can cat or dog food and dry pet food works great for chum ,gills ,channels. blues ,carp ,buffs.
To me the key is to do some asoften as you can.It takes some time to have max impact.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Can Dog or Cat Food Chum? - 06/18/18 11:03 PM

I like range cubes
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum