Texas Fishing Forum

Boat polishing compound suggestions

Posted By: El_Rey

Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/30/18 02:51 AM

I have a light layer of oxidation on my boat that I got last year. It’s a dark maroon color under the gel so you have to be looking for it when you’re up close.

What is the best method of removing it? Two stage: buffing compound then polishing?

Is there one product that many swear by?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

2000 ZX202 w/225 Yamaha Vmax
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/30/18 10:04 PM

Wet sand,then compound,then polish.
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/31/18 03:16 AM

If you only have slight oxidation then wet sanding may not be necessary. You might want to consider testing a small area with polish and wax first. If it shines up good enough you won't be taking off more clear coat than necessary. If that doesn't work then test a small area with compound/polish/wax. If you do end up wet sanding use 2000 to 4000 grit.

I think you'll like Mother's liquid compound, polish, and carnauba wax. It's important to use a good electric or air polisher. You can't do a good job polishing by hand only.

My old Skeeter is 28 years old and it still looks great after using the above techniques.
Posted By: marschall

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/31/18 11:46 AM

Try this and you will be amazed . Get a 5 gallon bucket put in a small box of Tide and a small qt , of lacquer thinner . Fill it with water . Wet a small part only about 2 to 3 feet at a time and with a soft towel rub the mixture in . As soon as you do wash it of with water . Do Not do a large area or it will eat into the paint . Try it and you will thank me later
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/31/18 11:59 AM

wet sand and use protec. You can buy it in a complete set. If can you use a carnauba wax but its for a car and you will have to wax it more often. Use a marine wax.

http://protecproducts.com/
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/31/18 04:41 PM

If u have a good orbital polisher, do as stated above. Try rubbing compound in a small area. No need to polish it just yet, but let it sit for a few hours before making your decision if it worked. Then polish or wet sand. Seems they all look good right after you do the job.

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 05/31/18 08:32 PM

All good , but I swear my method works . And all you have to do is wash it .
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 06/01/18 02:32 AM

Use a high speed buffer with a wool pad and 3M prefect-it in the grey bottle. Follow it up with the same buffer and a black foam pad using 3M perfect-it in the black bottle. Last step is to use a sealer....not a wax. Sealers last much longer than a wax. Wax literally melts off the exterior. Much like a candle. Wasted time, money, and effort.
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 06/01/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: marschall
All good , but I swear my method works . And all you have to do is wash it .

Caution! If you try this suggestion use chemical resistant gloves and don't breath the vapors!

Lacquer thinner is methanol, a cumulative poison. The first metabolic product is formaldehyde. If you absorb enough you just go blind! If you reach a toxic level you can save on the funeral costs!

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 06/01/18 11:15 AM

Guess I have been lucky as I have done this a lot and never had a problem .
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 06/01/18 04:57 PM

popcorn2
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 06/02/18 12:54 PM

Here's the problem with not wet sanding... oxidation is not uniform and may be lighter or heavier at different areas of the boat. In order to make you're compounding and polishing uniform, you have to begin with a uniform base. If you skip the wet sanding, you're going to have visible areas that look less finished. Up close they may be hard to see, but step back and they stand out like a sore thumb, especially with a dark color under the gelcoat. Just like painting a car, the finished product is only as good as its base.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Boat polishing compound suggestions - 06/11/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Here's the problem with not wet sanding... oxidation is not uniform and may be lighter or heavier at different areas of the boat. In order to make you're compounding and polishing uniform, you have to begin with a uniform base. If you skip the wet sanding, you're going to have visible areas that look less finished. Up close they may be hard to see, but step back and they stand out like a sore thumb, especially with a dark color under the gelcoat. Just like painting a car, the finished product is only as good as its base.

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum