Texas Fishing Forum

Choke Canyon

Posted By: SwampDonkey

Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 03:52 AM

Has anyone been to Choke lately? If so any issues putting in and any luck?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 02:44 PM

There are several recent threads on Choke Canyon in this and the fishing reports forums.

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 04:12 PM

Thank you for your input. I’ve read all the post

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 04:31 PM

The answer to your question is in the other posts. So just what is it you are looking for?

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 06:09 PM

I’m looking for any information on running from Calliham to the dam. Hazards on the way and bass fishing reports. I was looking for any information not already posted. Thank you for your help

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 06:36 PM

Well, now that everyone knows what you are looking for maybe someone will speak up. Good luck and good fishing!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 06:37 PM

Yes there are some serious hazards.

This is the worst, stick in your graph and don’t drive near it because my gps coords aren’t exact.

Along the Calliham shoreline nearing the end of the park.
N 28 29.553'
W 98 20.124' (concrete tower, boat sinker!)

There is also a shallow flat that you can stick in between Huisache and Hog island, you have to hug the tree infested channel.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/19/18 07:15 PM

May be good news for you fellas wanting to fish south shores.

My folks were down there this weekend, said there was an older sign up that said use ramp at your own risk, they walked down and looked said the ramp had areas that were caved in before but have been repaired recent work done the floating dock and all was in good shape and out in the water, seems like it was usable to them, but they just went to look. If its not open I suspect it will be soon.

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/20/18 08:16 PM

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll be there tomorrow and I’ll post how the day went. Grout-scout pm’d me a lot of good info. I sometimes have a back seat open to lakes around SA if anyone wants to go.
Thanks again
Posted By: R.Baker

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/20/18 08:29 PM

I put in at 99 last Friday. I'm telling you do not open it up because you think you in a channel, it is stump city down there right now. I made it all the way to Calliham, but it was at idle speed. Only caught two crappie in 9 hours of fishing and the game wardens that checked us said the most anyone had was 8. Saw plenty of HUGE gators sunning on the banks in the river. Water was stained and 73 degrees in most places.

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/20/18 08:51 PM

The trip from 99 to Calliham is brutal, no way I’d make that trip. Not quite as bad running to 4 fingers, much safer trip. I’ll try to post a picture of where the big concrete thing is later this evening.

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/20/18 09:00 PM

I heard 99 was tough if you wanted to go anywhere from there. I’m gonna take it slow from Calliham to four fingers. Anyone else run that? Any tips?

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/20/18 09:29 PM

Within 50’ of these gps coords lies the worst day you’ve ever had and it’s right next to the river channel at the end of Calliham Park. (The skull and crossbones wypt)

N 28 29.553'
W 98 20.124' (concrete tower, boat sinker!)

Do not use the gps coords on the graphs, that’s not where the concrete tower is at, that’s just where I put the cursor out of the way.

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/20/18 11:16 PM

Sweet! It’s marked on my graph. Thanks ton Grout
Posted By: Blackhill

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/22/18 01:05 AM

Hey wanna hear a report on choke when you get back.

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/23/18 01:02 AM

We waited for enough light before we headed out. Followed grout-scout’s direction and didn’t have an issue. We fished the four fingers area and around the damn. We caught fish all day long in big numbers but not in size. The biggest being about 4lbs. The wind got pretty nasty as the day went. I had my 112lb thrust trolling motor on 80 just to move against the wind. There’s a lot of fish out there, overall it was a great day. We fished from light til about 630. The water was clearest near the damn and dirtier near Calliham. Thanks for all the info.
Posted By: Blackhill

Re: Choke Canyon - 03/23/18 02:19 PM

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the update.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum