Texas Fishing Forum

Redfish in Lake Bryan

Posted By: Sunfish Fly

Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/16/18 04:22 PM

I was looking at the stocking history for Lake Bryan on the TPWD website and was shocked to see they have been stocking hundreds of thousands of redfish fingerlings for the past 3 years. I tried to do a little research to see if anyone has actually caught some as they should be at a catch-able size now but can't find anything. Does anyone know of if people have been catching them or if they even survived stocking. Any information will be helpful as I'm about to make it my mission to catch one before I graduate in May.
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/16/18 04:28 PM

Very interesting. I hope someone in the know responds. I've only met a few people who bass fish out there on a semi-regular basis. The place seems to be dominated with bank fisherman seeking prey for the frying pan...not your typical TFF posters.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/16/18 04:43 PM

Yeah not really expecting anyone here to know anything, but there's always the chance. If I get lucky and end up catching one I'll be sure to post a report.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/17/18 02:43 PM

Does Lake Bryan's power plant generate continually or intermittently as so many plants have gone to? If so I would guess the fish would just die during winter shut dows. Would be a waste of money by the state to stock them so they could freeze to death. (State waste money?! laugh )
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/17/18 03:22 PM

Wow. I used to catch some fish out there when I was at A&M, but I don't see how the lake could maintain a decent population of reds. Of all the lakes to stock with them........
Posted By: pocfishin

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/18/18 12:12 AM

Lake Bryan stocking history
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0886

2013 Fisheries Management Report for Lake Bryan
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1257_2013.pdf

For further information:
College Station-Houston
Mark Webb
District Supervisor
P.O. Box 427
Snook, Texas 77878
(979) 272-1430
mark.webb@tpwd.texas.gov
Find College Station Fisheries Management on Facebook
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/18/18 12:52 AM

I have more than once scratched my head as to TPWD's stocking choices. The only lake that I believe could possibly maintain a redfish population is Fayette County. But since it is a coal fired plant, I am not sure about FCL's generating future either.
Posted By: Kevin D.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/18/18 03:04 AM

I spoke to a local game warden who told me about it. Even he had no idea if anyone was catching them.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/18/18 03:08 AM

I'm headed that way next week. I might stop by and try my luck.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/18/18 03:39 AM

They have reds in Braunig and Calveras on he south side of San Antonio. They’re both power plant lakes.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/18/18 05:35 PM

I sent Mark an email, hopefully he knows something. If anyone is interested in targeting them sometime soon PM me.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/19/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: pocfishin

Holy smokes! I hope they know what they are doing.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/19/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: pocfishin

Lake Bryan stocking history
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0886

2013 Fisheries Management Report for Lake Bryan
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1257_2013.pdf

For further information:
College Station-Houston
Mark Webb
District Supervisor
P.O. Box 427
Snook, Texas 77878
(979) 272-1430
mark.webb@tpwd.texas.gov
Find College Station Fisheries Management on Facebook

Thanks for posting this. The lake is supplied by well water and it sounds like that water is somewhat salty. I guess that's the justification. I wonder if there will be enough forage to support the fish. The report suggests that overall fish abundance is a little bleak.
Posted By: R2Fishing

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/19/18 09:12 PM

Lake is so malnurished that nothing grows to size. Your average bass is 14-16”. Catfish not much larger than 12-14”. Only thing that strives is carp. I havent seen tilapia caught in several years. The plant barely keeps the water above 50° during winter months. Id give those redfish about a .00001% chance of making it. They should just restock fairfield...
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/22/18 05:40 PM

A similar post came up a few months back. Hook-line-n-sinker on TFF knows some history about reds in that lake. Send him a IM.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/23/18 01:11 AM

50 degree water should kill redfish........but if tilapia are surviving then there’s a chance. Ive always understood that these coal burning power plant lakes with tilapia in them would loose them in the winter when the plants closed for good. Maybe not?
Posted By: ConwayFishy

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/23/18 01:57 AM

Used to catch the heck out of bass there in the summer time. Ran a crank bait in deep water in the heat of summer and for some reason absolutely wore them out day in and day out. Don't think a lot of people fish the lake so it was easy. I enjoyed it. Some of the best years of my life.
Posted By: Pope1

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/23/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
50 degree water should kill redfish........but if tilapia are surviving then there’s a chance. Ive always understood that these coal burning power plant lakes with tilapia in them would loose them in the winter when the plants closed for good. Maybe not?

50F will not kill redfish. Water temps below 44F will start to increase mortality.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/23/18 03:35 PM

Got an email back from the TPWD district supervisor, he told me a couple of 18 inch fish were caught in the fall and they will continue stocking this year. That sounds like they are surviving and promising.
Posted By: Kevin D.

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/27/18 09:49 PM

Gibbons Creek to follow since they turned off that plant. Except for the stocking part.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 03/29/18 05:36 AM

Do you have a heavy shad or tilapia forage base ?

If you do the reds will make it. Otherwise you won't see
much of a redfish fishery in your lake.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 04/05/18 09:15 PM

The baitfish population in Lake Bryan historically has been very low overall. Growth rates of all fish is very slow. Takes nearly 3 years to grow a 10 inch crappie. A few years back I caught something close to 300 crappie in the spring of the year but 280 of them were 9 inches or less. Two years later we harvested 100+ 11 to 12 inch crappie from the channel & rocks which was probably too many for that lake. The next spring we were back to lots of undersize crappie and fewer of them. I haven't fished Lake Bryan much since 2014 and can't remember the last time I bass fished it.

Posted By: firebug2b

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 11/07/21 03:19 AM

Apparently something is going right now, used to catch nothing but dinks on the bass side

Attached picture Screenshot_20211102-064007.png
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 11/07/21 02:36 PM

I witnessed the stocking Red Drum in there. Little Bitty guys, only about 1" long

I was before I was married, so had to have been around 1980.
Posted By: Yankee_Bass

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 11/07/21 08:28 PM

A Red is just a Drum, so they should be ok if they can find forage. I have only caught smaller Bass but did get one that looked close to 4# on a square bill a few weeks ago.
Posted By: pocfishin

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 11/08/21 12:10 AM

Yes, red drum were stocked in Lake Bryan.
Page 10 on attached report.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1257_2017.pdf
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 11/08/21 01:27 AM

It’s November… need to get the flounder running! Lol
Posted By: Sabre-'22

Re: Redfish in Lake Bryan - 10/19/22 11:18 AM

what is needed to catch red's in fresh water?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum