Texas Fishing Forum

New to fishing and could use some help

Posted By: Greenarrow118

New to fishing and could use some help - 03/05/18 05:49 PM

Hello All

I am new to the state of Texas and plan on getting my fishing licenses here within the next few weeks. I live in Grapevine so most of my fishing will be done at lake Lewisville or Grapevine. I will be fishing from the banks as I don't own a boat atm. With that said I have no idea where to start. I don't what size rod or reel to use or even what type of bait to use either. I would really like some help getting my feet wet so I can be great fisherman like all of you! Thanks
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/05/18 06:25 PM

Any particular kind of fish that you prefer to chase? What type of rod & reels are you comfortable using?

Have you given any thought to a portable boat, like a bass buggy or small jonboat?

This would all be helpful info to get you useful responses.

My general answer would be to fish minnows under a bobber. Most everything in the lake eats minnows.

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/05/18 09:39 PM

I would mostly like to catch catfish or bass. As for the rod and reel I guess it would be the basic setup a setup that will last me a good while. Where can buy minnows from?
Posted By: Fish2Chill 1

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/05/18 10:25 PM

"I will be fishing from the banks as I don't own a boat atm."

Sorry for the smart alek post, just could not help but wonder if your choice of words "boat atm" refers to the need to own an ATM to keep em going or maybe that is short for "at the moment". LOL

As for your real question, sorry but not much help due to not fishing North Texas lakes very often.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/05/18 10:39 PM

Greenarrow118

I am willing to take you out on grapevine. I 20 different rod and reel combinations. I will let you use and try out.Maybe get a idea on what you will want.

Send me a PM on a day you can go
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/05/18 10:51 PM

If you're going for bass, without a boat, I'd say start with ponds.

I found it much easier to find and catch bass that way. Every time I fish from the bank of a lake, I don't even get a bite.

There are tons of ponds in the mid-cities where you can snag a 5lb'er from the bank.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service
Greenarrow118

I am willing to take you out on grapevine. I 20 different rod and reel combinations. I will let you use and try out.Maybe get a idea on what you will want.

This...
Bruce is a great guy and you will learn a lot from him. Great gesture Bruce.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 01:53 AM

Could you recommend a pond?
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Greenarrow118
Could you recommend a pond?

There's the standard Chisolm Park and Bedford Boys Ranch (although it was recently remodeled).

In Irving there's Thomas Jefferson Park and Towne Lake Park.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 03:24 AM

I think I would start with catfish...reasonable equip outlays, can be caught from the bank, commercial baits readily available...go get yourself an Ugly Stick, medium action, 7 foot in length, pflueger president reel built for 17 lb Berkley Big Game Line...with some wicker sticker hooks or bait holder hooks (and treble hooks), and some various sizes of lead from 1/2 ounce to 3 ounce...then go to the catfish section and look up Stubby (he sells some good cheese bait) and buy a bucket of bait from him...go fishing...oh yea, don’t forget to buy some catfish corks and some lighter bell type weights for use with the corks...fish the banks with the wind in your face (coming from the lake into your face)...and a couple good strong stringers, thick long ones...good luck and good fishing!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 03:29 AM

Also, learn how to tie an improved clinch knot...check out YouTube...

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 04:58 AM

Thank You all for the help
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 05:23 AM

Greenarrow118

Best way to learn and get started! thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 05:58 AM

Greenarrow118

good people like this make this a great forum. Welcome to the tff greenarrow118
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 06:59 AM

Howdy and welcome to Texas and to the forum!!

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 04:01 PM

Thank you I will!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 04:16 PM

Greenarrow: You are starting at a good time. In 2-3 weeks the sand bass will be running up every creek and you'll be able to catch them from the bank. These can be easily caught with jigs or roadrunner type lures. In most water white or Chartreuse is the ticket. Inn the sandbass spawn you can likely throw most anything and catch some. I think Denton creek runs into Grapevine. It will likely be full of sand bass soon.

If you plan to fish Texas you are going to need a boat. Once the water warms most of the fish will move out to deeper water just beyond your casting distance. There are some low cost boats and Kayaks that will get you off the bank. Once you get the boat and a decent fish finder you;ll catch lots of fish.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: New to fishing and could use some help - 03/06/18 06:14 PM

YouTube. 10yo grandson been hooked on fishing several years now. Couple years ago he discovered YouTube. Seems like he spends all his non-school and -fishing hours researching anything fishing on YouTube. Absolutely amazing how much he's learned, and not just about fishing, about anything and everything even remotely related to fishing. How many 10yo could lecture you about what a thermocline is or what a lake turning over means.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum